Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Hi trying to convince myself that the Vegas/Axis is a nice RV

I have been RV shopping for about 4 months. I really like the layout of the Vegas/Axis 24.1 with the twin beds, I like the simple Ford gas engine, I like the long wheelbase, I like the huge basement storage. There are two things that bother me:

I am a Living Lite camp trailer owner and Thor bought LL from the founder about 7 years ago, cheapened the model, lost the cult following and had to shut it down. Sad, sad, sad.

The other thing is we looked at a 2014 Thor Axis several months ago and wrote it off: cheap looking.

But being somewhat open minded I really like what I see in video reviews of the 2018+ models. Some new features: aft hatch to the rear pass through compartment, flip down cabinets with hidden hinges, undermount sink on a solid composite counter top, nicer trim to front seats, control module with fluid levels, microwave below the sink, nice flooring, Truma instant on water heater, etc.

There is no 2018+ or even a 2021 to look at within a few hundred miles of home. So how do you guys view the 2018+ models?

David

Old 08-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
2018 and 2019 are unique unto themselves because of curved cabinetry.
The 2018 does not have the electronic control of awnings and all, the 2019 does.
The 2020 has flat cabinets and some don't have the outside TV.
Bathroom doors are different/better than pre 2016 ish.
E350 on earlier models supposedly e350 on newer models. Discrepancies exist.

2018 and up don't have the vinyl problems earlier had but it's not the highest standard.

Not much else to tell except :
If a few hundred miles trip to see for yourself is a problem,
You don't want a MotorHome.
It's part of a day, a hotel, part of a day. The trip comes to maybe 1% of purchase price if you buy the steak at the Continental Hotel.

2500 miles one way for us to get ours.
It's an rv.
They travel.

Rethink seeing one in person.
Nothing anyone can tell you should sway you.

And
You seem to already have the 'thor' chip in your shoulder.
There isn't a way in the world to equate a corporate decision on cancelling a niche product to the purchase of a 24.1.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We can't tell you what to buy: the decision falls to you alone...
But welcome to our Forum anyway, and Happy Shopping!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Georgia
THOR #14579
I have a 2019 Thor Vegas 27.7 and love it. Very few issues, easy to drive. I have put over 10,000 miles on it in 18 months.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

We have one of those "cheap looking" 2014 Axis 24.1 units. Its still together, hasn't fallen apart, still looks the same and we still love it.

Granted ours may look a little less cheap with our upgrades (new couch, new kitchen being the two most extensive) but it still performs quite well.

You'll be hard pressed to find any RV these days with all the people buying...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Welcome to the site.

We have one of those "cheap looking" 2014 Axis 24.1 units. Its still together, hasn't fallen apart, still looks the same and we still love it.

Granted ours may look a little less cheap with our upgrades (new couch, new kitchen being the two most extensive) but it still performs quite well.

800 miles over 3 days and went past about 10 to 12 RV dealers with tons of units. Maybe low stock at small dealers but not at mid or large dealers. There is plenty of stock available. Also, in Elkhart County the chassis were rolling in and the finished units rolling out with quite a few finished waiting delivery on manufacturers’ lots.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:38 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
You answered your own question with your comment about what Thor did to Living Lite.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:48 PM   #8

THOR #20289
JamieGeek; Sorry, I didn't mean to disparage your coach.

I do realize that Thor has undertaken an upgrade program for the 2018+ units (and at least one downgrade IMO). They use the Truma instant on hot water heater, now have a control panel that gives fluid levels (not that any propane level system will ever be accurate), they moved the microwave down below the stove, the counter tops are solid surface and the sink is undermount. The downgrade is that 2020+ coaches have flat covers on the cabinets not the Euro look curved ones with the nice concealed hinges.

So it does seem that Thor is trying to make it nicer.

Lt Keefer and others: Yes I do have a bad taste in my mouth for what Thor did to LL but I can live with another Thor product if it looks good, is built well and has quality components like I think I see in the 2018+ models.

The look good and built well parts are hard to know from looking at videos. And FWIW there is no 2018+ Vegas/Axis 24.1 within 500 miles of me and about 350 miles for a 27.1 and I sure am not going to fly out in this environment on a look see.

David
Old 08-28-2020, 09:05 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
800 miles over 3 days and went past about 10 to 12 RV dealers with tons of units. Maybe low stock at small dealers but not at mid or large dealers. There is plenty of stock available. Also, in Elkhart County the chassis were rolling in and the finished units rolling out with quite a few finished waiting delivery on manufacturers’ lots.
MHSRV has a 11 Vega/Axis under contract but there are 9 on order that are not spoken for. We were by there a couple weeks ago and there there were only 4 Entegras not under contract and 2 Foretravels. For a place that keeps abut 600 coaches in stock there are only about 200 on the premises. There are quite a few American Coaches on premises if you are into REV's best coach.
I was trying to talk them into ordering me an Aspire 38M but alas we could not arrive at what I considered an affordable price. We did get close on Reatta 37K. Maybe an early Christmas present for me?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Been by at least two General RV's in the area here (their HQ is about 15 miles away) and their lots look to be about 1/3 full of normal.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
New 2020 Vegas 24.1 Owner
We purchased our 24.1 about 6 weeks ago and have been out once for a shakedown. So far we're happy with the purchase. This coach has the new Ford V8 and is a fun drive with plenty of power. It was a challenge to find as dealerships in Socal just don't have any stock of Vegas or Axis 24.1. Got a call from a local dealer that a sale fell through due to financing, so we rushed down to see the rig, drove it and bought it. It's in the shop, house batteries failed and dash air didn't work. Hopefully we'll get it back this week. We're far from new motorhome owners and expect stuff to happen. Overall, the coach is meeting our expectations and plan to have many years of fun with our new Vegas [emoji3]
Old 08-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #12

THOR #20289
Interesting that the new Vegas/Axis come with the new Ford 7.4 liter V8. Some of these new engines are undergoing some pain due to spark plug and spark plug wire failures. I have read that the wires are not currently available and may not be for a month or two. Something about a US supplier's labor shortage due to Covid. Probably not the last time we hear that excuse.

David

David
Old 08-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
We'll see, 5 year, 60000 mile Ford warranty so I'm not particularly worried about engine failure. Couldn't get the V10 they're no longer available in new motorhomes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Interesting that the new Vegas/Axis come with the new Ford 7.4 liter V8. Some of these new engines are undergoing some pain due to spark plug and spark plug wire failures. I have read that the wires are not currently available and may not be for a month or two. Something about a US supplier's labor shortage due to Covid. Probably not the last time we hear that excuse.

David

David
Old 09-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #14

THOR #3340
I too have one of the “cheap looking” 2014 Thor Axis 24.1. Could I see your kitchen upgrade? I’d really like to replace the plastic sink. In the bathroom as well. Have you done that? The decor is just a distraction - the usefulness and joy I have going to ball games, swim meets, ATV races, and cross country runs makes it well worth it.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #15

Model: 24.1 Axis
State: Minnesota
THOR #15131
They say"to each their own"... When we started looking we settled on a 2016 Thor 24.1 Axis with 11,000 miles on it. Price negotiated was about $45,000 less than MSRP.
The reason that we chose and shopped for this model was: the windshield design was modified (there were stress cracks) from the pre-2016 models and they had worked out some of the gremlins. We did not like the newer model years after 2016 for the same reasons some like them... I didn't like the microwave down below the counter and I didn't like the tankless water heater. Many like those features.
I shopped for this exact model on RVTRADER.COM and found five good choices.

We've had ours for a year and a half. The windshield wiper mechanism gave me grief until I figured out why and fixed it. I don't like the bathroom sink. I've been working on figuring out the antenna and cabling system and put up with the radios. I installed an inline Surge Protector to protect the sensitive electronics.

All in all we love the rig. It's just right for us.

Good luck [emoji106][emoji16]
Old 09-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueasher1@netzero.net View Post
I too have one of the “cheap looking” 2014 Thor Axis 24.1. Could I see your kitchen upgrade? I’d really like to replace the plastic sink. In the bathroom as well. Have you done that? The decor is just a distraction - the usefulness and joy I have going to ball games, swim meets, ATV races, and cross country runs makes it well worth it.
If you are asking about my kitchen upgrade: I replaced the cooktop and sink with a dual burner induction unit and a stainless bar sink (along with replacing the countertop).
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-28 16.15.46.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	25909

I haven't done anything to the bathroom except add a flip up countertop to add more counter space--which ended up with me having to get a panel fabricated since I kind of destroyed one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-13 10.11.18.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	25910Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-13 10.11.27.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	25911
Old 09-02-2020, 11:19 PM   #17

Brand: Jayco
State: New Jersey
THOR #19560
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
JamieGeek; Sorry, I didn't mean to disparage your coach.

I do realize that Thor has undertaken an upgrade program for the 2018+ units (and at least one downgrade IMO). They use the Truma instant on hot water heater, now have a control panel that gives fluid levels (not that any propane level system will ever be accurate), they moved the microwave down below the stove, the counter tops are solid surface and the sink is undermount. The downgrade is that 2020+ coaches have flat covers on the cabinets not the Euro look curved ones with the nice concealed hinges.

So it does seem that Thor is trying to make it nicer.

Lt Keefer and others: Yes I do have a bad taste in my mouth for what Thor did to LL but I can live with another Thor product if it looks good, is built well and has quality components like I think I see in the 2018+ models.

The look good and built well parts are hard to know from looking at videos. And FWIW there is no 2018+ Vegas/Axis 24.1 within 500 miles of me and about 350 miles for a 27.1 and I sure am not going to fly out in this environment on a look see.

David
In my 2018 Vegas the microwave being down below made it impossible to use! We had to take pics of the front in order to program it.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:50 PM   #18

THOR #2902
Love our 2016 Axis 24.1

We bought our 2016 Axis 24.1 5 years ago and love it. It continues to provide us with all the comfort and space we need! We gave up on our dish satellite (poor reception in wooded areas) and stream YouTube TV. No regrets from us!
Old 09-03-2020, 01:22 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Exclamation

We have a 2017 Vegas 24.1. We really do like it. Has a lot of bells and whistles. The main thing we like is it only have one small slideout and often dont bother putting it out. Just isnt necessary for one night. So far weve put 31,000 miles on it.

Have thought about upgrading and probably will go with a Windsport 32T, Hurricane 32T or an ACE 33.1

Only we will miss the flexibility of our go anywhere 24.1. And man does it go ANYWHERE!!!! (except a McDonald's drive thru). But sometime it is a little cramped.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:41 AM   #20

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Welcome to the site.

I’m with Jamie, my 2015 is perfect, we are real pleased with the coach and the now discontinued large windshield, we purchased ours used a year old with 2200 miles on it, This is the 3ed RV for us and each one i have upgraded interior, exterior and engine, I would be hard pressed to spend what they are asking for the 19 / 20 models and then the cost to upgrade..