Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #20250
Post What have we gotten ourselves into! :-)

The wife and I joined your esteemed assemblage with the purchase last week of a 2017 Hurricane 29M. We had started looking at Jayco Class C units and briefly entertained the thought of getting a used Jayco Melbourne but realized upon getting inside the unit that it had very little storage and everything was scaled for people smaller than us. We got this coach locally via a private sale and the price was reasonable, even though still quite a stretch for us.

We have never owned a motorized RV, but we owned two travel trailers that we had permanently parked at a campground for the better part of two decades. The one we had the longest was a 1993 35ish foot unit. We had the Amish build a porch on the front and it server as a cheap vacation home that we went to most weekends during the campground’s active season. We never owned a vehicle capable of pulling the trailer so it sat where it was. A succession of changes of ownership at the campground led to a couple who decided they did not want older trailers “dirtying up” their campground, regardless that those same trailers were the majority of their permanent site customers. The wife and I sort of fell out of love with the whole thing and sold off the trailer, tore down the porch and left. That was about five or six years ago.

So now we have something new to us. The wife is handling the truly important stuff, figuring out what color scheme for the inside, what pots and pans to get (a Magma Products nesting pan set), what kind of dishes to get (a Corelle set) and what color towels and bath mat to purchase (gray). So Amazon has been delivering non-stop, all week to the house. (I think I need to go downstairs right now as at least four more packages were delivered on a Sunday...)

My job has been to figure out how to run the darn thing. We are familiar with a lot of the basics, having owned a travel trailer. Many of the systems are similar, both had a freshwater, grey water and black water tank. This will be the first time we have to take care of the emptying process ourselves though. Propane stove and fridges are not new to us either. My only issues so far have been basically having been handed the keys to this rig in a basically unknown state. The older couple who owned it had the winterization process handled by Camping World and they have not used it this year so it was still winterized. I winterized our travel trailer for two decades, but I knew where everything was. With this new rig I am having to track everything down and figure everything out as I go. The manual is decent but generic to all of that particular year’s gas coaches. Yesterday I filled up the freshwater tank to test the water pump delivery of water. First I found that the freshwater tank drain valve was open so it was flowing out onto the grass almost as fast as I was adding water 😊. I closed the valve and added more water then activated the pump. I could hear the pump, but nothing came out of the faucets. Looked through the manual but it didn’t help. Turned the pump back on and walked around the coach to find the thing, assuming it would be visible in one of the bays somewhere near one of the water inlets or near the freshwater tank. Nope! Went into the coach, shut down everything else and finally traced it via the noise to where you all already knew it was the whole time, under the rear dinette bench. There I found a isolation valve taking the pump out of the freshwater loop, something I had not anticipated. Looks like there is an inlet there for adding the antifreeze during the winterization process, which contradicts the manual which mentioned putting several gallons of antifreeze into the freshwater tank to get distributed into the system. Was also surprised to see a three plus inch hole wide open to the outside where the waterlines come in from the outside. I need to close that up with some Great Stuff. I turned the valve and water started flowing immediately. Problem solved with a bit of investigative work.

The only other issue that made me scratch my head so far was the steadily declining battery level that ended up being due to a problematic extension cord. When I replaced the cord to allow actual electricity to flow from the power outlet to the coach things worked much better!

I know I am supposed to start new threads on how awful the Seiki TV sets are (they are awful), how awful the Axxera radio is (it is awful), complain about sawdust in the storage units (there was some) and ask where does everyone store their broom (haven’t figured that one out yet lol) so look for those from me soonest!

Anyways, the wife and I are officially in this “elite club” now 😊!

Old 08-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateGreg View Post
The wife and I joined your esteemed assemblage with the purchase last week of a 2017 Hurricane 29M. We had started looking at Jayco Class C units and briefly entertained the thought of getting a used Jayco Melbourne but realized upon getting inside the unit that it had very little storage and everything was scaled for people smaller than us. We got this coach locally via a private sale and the price was reasonable, even though still quite a stretch for us.

We have never owned a motorized RV, but we owned two travel trailers that we had permanently parked at a campground for the better part of two decades. The one we had the longest was a 1993 35ish foot unit. We had the Amish build a porch on the front and it server as a cheap vacation home that we went to most weekends during the campground’s active season. We never owned a vehicle capable of pulling the trailer so it sat where it was. A succession of changes of ownership at the campground led to a couple who decided they did not want older trailers “dirtying up” their campground, regardless that those same trailers were the majority of their permanent site customers. The wife and I sort of fell out of love with the whole thing and sold off the trailer, tore down the porch and left. That was about five or six years ago.

So now we have something new to us. The wife is handling the truly important stuff, figuring out what color scheme for the inside, what pots and pans to get (a Magma Products nesting pan set), what kind of dishes to get (a Corelle set) and what color towels and bath mat to purchase (gray). So Amazon has been delivering non-stop, all week to the house. (I think I need to go downstairs right now as at least four more packages were delivered on a Sunday...)

My job has been to figure out how to run the darn thing. We are familiar with a lot of the basics, having owned a travel trailer. Many of the systems are similar, both had a freshwater, grey water and black water tank. This will be the first time we have to take care of the emptying process ourselves though. Propane stove and fridges are not new to us either. My only issues so far have been basically having been handed the keys to this rig in a basically unknown state. The older couple who owned it had the winterization process handled by Camping World and they have not used it this year so it was still winterized. I winterized our travel trailer for two decades, but I knew where everything was. With this new rig I am having to track everything down and figure everything out as I go. The manual is decent but generic to all of that particular year’s gas coaches. Yesterday I filled up the freshwater tank to test the water pump delivery of water. First I found that the freshwater tank drain valve was open so it was flowing out onto the grass almost as fast as I was adding water 😊. I closed the valve and added more water then activated the pump. I could hear the pump, but nothing came out of the faucets. Looked through the manual but it didn’t help. Turned the pump back on and walked around the coach to find the thing, assuming it would be visible in one of the bays somewhere near one of the water inlets or near the freshwater tank. Nope! Went into the coach, shut down everything else and finally traced it via the noise to where you all already knew it was the whole time, under the rear dinette bench. There I found a isolation valve taking the pump out of the freshwater loop, something I had not anticipated. Looks like there is an inlet there for adding the antifreeze during the winterization process, which contradicts the manual which mentioned putting several gallons of antifreeze into the freshwater tank to get distributed into the system. Was also surprised to see a three plus inch hole wide open to the outside where the waterlines come in from the outside. I need to close that up with some Great Stuff. I turned the valve and water started flowing immediately. Problem solved with a bit of investigative work.

The only other issue that made me scratch my head so far was the steadily declining battery level that ended up being due to a problematic extension cord. When I replaced the cord to allow actual electricity to flow from the power outlet to the coach things worked much better!

I know I am supposed to start new threads on how awful the Seiki TV sets are (they are awful), how awful the Axxera radio is (it is awful), complain about sawdust in the storage units (there was some) and ask where does everyone store their broom (haven’t figured that one out yet lol) so look for those from me soonest!

Anyways, the wife and I are officially in this “elite club” now 😊!
That was entertaining, welcome and enjoy the Motor Home!
Old 08-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congrats and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Congrats and welcome.

There are already plenty of threads on the TVs and radio so just add on to them.

Beware, if the previous owners didn’t clean up the sawdust after a couple years there are other issues that weren’t handled as well or there is another issue causing the sawdust like pests.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:36 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Welcome to our virtual campground. I'm sure you will figure it all out pretty quick. I think Bob said his wife flies the broom along behind
Old 08-31-2020, 03:54 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Welcome aboard. You sound like a quick study, so I'm sure you will do just fine.

Thor has created some videos that might help....Here's the link, in case you haven't come across it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=%23TMCHowTo

Happy Trails to you & the missus.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Welcome to our virtual campground. I'm sure you will figure it all out pretty quick. I think Bob said his wife flies the broom along behind
She is actually being carried in a flaming carriage, that is pulled by her winged monkeys...
Welcome to our traveling Office Party!
Old 08-31-2020, 11:28 AM   #8

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Congrats and welcome to the forum
Old 08-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #9

THOR #20250
Spent some time looking a bit closer at the other equipment the previous owners included. Glad I did as I was about to order some of the stuff without realizing it was sitting there already. I found a 90 degree hose elbow, a tank clean-out wand, a Sidewinder waste pipe support, a short segment of hose with a spring surrounding it that is designed to go inline with a water filter, a locking gas cap, and other assorted goodies.

I also sat down and sorted out the twenty plus keys that came with the coach. I had not bothered to find the second key to the entrance door, the one for the deadbolt so I figured that out. I also had been using some silver metal cut keys to open the dreaded CH751 cam locks. I didn't realize one of the plastic covered keys was keyed the same as well. So for whatever reason I have five separate copies of that same key. There is also a good number of cylinder keys that seem to go to nothing, I suspect they were to their previous coach (likely where the spare CH751 keys came from).
Old 08-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Don't throw away any of those keys!
You'll be 600 miles from nowhere; when the locks will suddenly only accept the ones that you threw out...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:42 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Glad that you joined us. Sounds like you are getting the hang on how to track down issues and how to correct them. Good luck and enjoy. We are here to help out.

Paul
Old 08-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #12

THOR #20250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Don't throw away any of those keys!
You'll be 600 miles from nowhere; when the locks will suddenly only accept the ones that you threw out...
I am going to make a key ring of all the strange ones and put it where I won't ever find it again.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #13

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Welcome! Enjoy the journey!

Ahhhh the key challenge. Only the truest, brave souls can throw away keys.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:22 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
I am going to make a key ring of all the strange ones and put it where I won't ever find it again.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1598880112
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	25881  
Old 08-31-2020, 01:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Ahhh, Yes. That safe place so they don't get lost.

I've probably got s dozen of those.

Welcome to the campfire.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #16

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Ahhh, Yes. That safe place so they don't get lost.

I've probably got s dozen of those.

Welcome to the campfire.
With the Golden Years (for the doctors) I have found making a note and storing it in my phone as to the safe place that I chose is very helpful when you forget where that was
Old 08-31-2020, 01:53 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Ted,
That's the place where all of our eyeglasses end up...
Oh! car keys also...
Old 08-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
With the Golden Years (for the doctors) I have found making a note and storing it in my phone as to the safe place that I chose is very helpful when you forget where that was
That's a great idea!

Now I just need to remember:

1 - to make that note

2 - that I made that note..
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We have a small space between the closet door and the shelving that accommodates a standing broom.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Spent some time looking a bit closer at the other equipment the previous owners included. Glad I did as I was about to order some of the stuff without realizing it was sitting there already. I found a 90 degree hose elbow, a tank clean-out wand, a Sidewinder waste pipe support, a short segment of hose with a spring surrounding it that is designed to go inline with a water filter, a locking gas cap, and other assorted goodies.

I also sat down and sorted out the twenty plus keys that came with the coach. I had not bothered to find the second key to the entrance door, the one for the deadbolt so I figured that out. I also had been using some silver metal cut keys to open the dreaded CH751 cam locks. I didn't realize one of the plastic covered keys was keyed the same as well. So for whatever reason I have five separate copies of that same key. There is also a good number of cylinder keys that seem to go to nothing, I suspect they were to their previous coach (likely where the spare CH751 keys came from).
Greg,
Have you created an account on Thor Motor Coach and logged onto the Owner's Resources? Enter your VIN and you will find all of the manuals, schematics and diagrams for your coach. I have found this extremely informative for usage, troubleshooting and modifications. This is for coaches 2014 and newer which yours is. Good luck and have fun!
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote