Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2024, 04:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #31781
House battery question

Hey folks new to site. We have a 2019 Thor Freedom Elite 22fe. Wanting to upgrade the house battery with 2 6 volts but having problems find ones that will fit in the area under the steps. Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks

Old 02-06-2024, 05:08 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The 6v thing is a laboratory slight gain.
It has no place in real life RV usages.
Buy 12v.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:08 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I agree with Ducksface
For your particular rig, two-12 volts are best. Either Flooded-Lead-Acid or AGM type.
Very inexpensive to replace every 3-4yrs as needed. Costco or Sams Club usually under $200 for both.

And, if you didn't know...always replace two batteries at the same time.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:13 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Buy 12v.
I beg to differ. With some high priced exceptions, no other 12V flooded cell lead acid (FLAs) batteries meet these criteria for deep cycle use: cell caps for adding water, heavy plates to prevent cheese holes occurring from discharging deep, extra room on top for more electrolyte and on the floor bottom for sulphate buildup that can short the plates.

6V golf cart batteries meet these criteria. And they are usually the cheapest amp hour for the buck in FLAs.

But if 6V golf cart batteries wonít fit, then try 12V AGMs. They inherently donít have the problems noted above with FLAs.

David
Old 02-06-2024, 06:21 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's laboratory stuff not real life stuff.
Debunked back in the
6month 3,000 mile oil change
days.

If percentages of percentages in gain having half the amps in greater space with greater weight and greater complication is your thing....
Carry on.
Otherwise....

I have 12 6v golf cart batteries here in my greenhouse just hanging around on a charger.
If it was real, they'd be in my RV.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:24 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I beg to differ. With some high priced exceptions, no other 12V flooded cell lead acid (FLAs) batteries meet these criteria for deep cycle use: cell caps for adding water, heavy plates to prevent cheese holes occurring from discharging deep, extra room on top for more electrolyte and on the floor bottom for sulphate buildup that can short the plates.

6V golf cart batteries meet these criteria. And they are usually the cheapest amp hour for the buck in FLAs.

But if 6V golf cart batteries wonít fit, then try 12V AGMs. They inherently donít have the problems noted above with FLAs.

David
For a 24' class C where the batteries go under the steps?
I certainly wouldn't do dual 6 volt batteries because in all likelyhood you'll need to Fabricate/Weld/Bolt changes to the existing location.

But, hey! Different strokes for different folks.

I keep my rig plugged into shore power 24/7
I like my Costco Deep Cycle FLA's, check the water every 4-6mo, and replace in pairs when their time has come, usually 3-4 yrs.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:58 PM   #7

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by drspice View Post
Hey folks new to site. We have a 2019 Thor Freedom Elite 22fe. Wanting to upgrade the house battery with 2 6 volts but having problems find ones that will fit in the area under the steps. Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks
Like the others say- go with 12V. The only 6V batteries that can do/help anything are "GC" size for Golf Carts, and have to be wired in series to get 12V.
I did that once in my Rialta, and then converted the whole thing back to 12V LFP ones. Much easier to deal with.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:46 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Buy 12v.
Welcome back. A voice of reason is always welcome.

The only reason for 6 volt batteries for a house battery is the group GC-2 is the cheapest watt-hour deep cycle battery you can buy. The group 29H DC marine battery (12 volt - low maintenance) from Walmart seems to the the best 12 volt battery, watt hour wise.

If you are comparing lead-acid batteries it is all about the weight of the lead. So are two 6 volt, 66 lb FLA batteries (rated at 225 AH @6 volts) better than two 12 volt 68 lb batteries (rated at 125 AH @12 volts, each)?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:17 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by drspice View Post
Thanks
Before commenting like others Iím going to ask why you want to take this path.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:47 PM   #10

THOR #20289
GC2 batteries are too wide and tall to fit underneath the steps on an Axis/Vegas.

I upgraded the pair of G24 FLA batteries that came with my 2021 Axis with a pair of G31 AGMs by Renogy that just fit. I don’t think G31 FLAs would have worked as you have to tilt the second battery to get it in which would have spilled acid.

AGMs are better than FLAs in any case and at today’s prices cost just a little more.

David
Old 02-07-2024, 01:23 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
GC2 batteries are too wide and tall to fit underneath the steps on an Axis/Vegas.

I upgraded the pair of G24 FLA batteries that came with my 2021 Axis with a pair of G31 AGMs by Renogy that just fit. I donít think G31 FLAs would have worked as you have to tilt the second battery to get it in which would have spilled acid.

AGMs are better than FLAs in any case and at todayís prices cost just a little more.

David
The AGM battery belongs to the group of batteries known as valve regulated lead acid battery or VRLA battery. The only advantage of an AGM design is they can be mounted on the a side or end as well as upright. There are other types of VRLA batteries that have a greater AH rating in the same case because they do not have the glass mats between the plates. Any FLA battery with calcium-lead alloy grids will not require watering under normal conditions. If abused they can out gas, just as AGM will vent when abused.

Only FLA batteries where the grids are made with antimony-lead alloy need regular watering. They are cheaper because of the expense of the calcium-lead is about 60% greater than the antimony-lead alloy grids.

From the RVShare website --
3.) EverStart Lead Acid Marine Battery, Group 29DC

This EverStart lead-acid battery Ė the largest on our list Ė gives you more power for longer periods. It is maintenance-free and has great cycling and recharge capabilities. Reviewers say the battery is reliable and lasts a long time. It comes with a one-year warranty.

The group 29DC 12 volt battery is about $100 and has a 127 AH rating a 20 amps. My Walmart says they are out of stock. I wonder why?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:31 AM   #12

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The AGM battery belongs to the group of batteries known as valve regulated lead acid battery or VRLA battery. The only advantage of an AGM design is they can be mounted on the a side or end as well as upright. There are other types of VRLA batteries that have a greater AH rating in the same case because they do not have the glass mats between the plates. Any FLA battery with calcium-lead alloy grids will not require watering under normal conditions. If abused they can out gas, just as AGM will vent when abused.

Only FLA batteries where the grids are made with antimony-lead alloy need regular watering. They are cheaper because of the expense of the calcium-lead is about 60% greater than the antimony-lead alloy grids.

From the RVShare website --
3.) EverStart Lead Acid Marine Battery, Group 29DC

This EverStart lead-acid battery Ė the largest on our list Ė gives you more power for longer periods. It is maintenance-free and has great cycling and recharge capabilities. Reviewers say the battery is reliable and lasts a long time. It comes with a one-year warranty.

The group 29DC 12 volt battery is about $100 and has a 127 AH rating a 20 amps. My Walmart says they are out of stock. I wonder why?

Just changed my 2 Everstart batteries this year, originally purchased them in 2018, they were still working fine but I figured 5 1/2 years and $200+ why take a chance
Old 02-07-2024, 01:49 PM   #13

State: North Carolina
THOR #15476
24.1 Axis.
Can anyone tell me if they got group 31 AGM marine batteries from Costco? Model #?
Old 02-10-2024, 08:09 PM   #14

Brand: Jayco
State: South Carolina
THOR #30178
US Battery US 27DC XC2 is a true deep cycle battery, similar to those made for golf carts. The 31 is slightly larger, if you can fit it / them.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:54 PM   #15

THOR #20289
A pair of G31 will just fit in the under step compartment of an Axis with no modifications.

David
Old 02-10-2024, 10:59 PM   #16

Model: chateau 23U
State: Florida
THOR #1241
Agree with David!

I much prefer series rather parallel connection of house batteries. One weak cell will unbalance a parallel connection and drain the other battery. I also prefer FLAs for RVs as they're more cost-effective.

GC2s are ideal for RVs and better tolerate the abuse of golfers who haven't heard of the 50 percent rule. They're cheap with a series-pair capacity of 220 Ah vs 160Ah for typical 27DCs in parallel. I wish my under-step compartment would accept their 12" height. I'm stuck w/ 27DCs. Ugh!

Quote:

David
Old 02-11-2024, 01:31 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGeek View Post
I much prefer series rather parallel connection of house batteries. One weak cell will unbalance a parallel connection and drain the other battery. I also prefer FLAs for RVs as they're more cost-effective.

GC2s are ideal for RVs and better tolerate the abuse of golfers who haven't heard of the 50 percent rule. They're cheap with a series-pair capacity of 220 Ah vs 160Ah for typical 27DCs in parallel. I wish my under-step compartment would accept their 12" height. I'm stuck w/ 27DCs. Ugh!
A fairly simple mod I did... a wooden frame (painted black) and screwed in place. It fits on top of the existing metal frame supporting the top step.

While it did raise the step slightly, we have no issues. It allowed two GC2 6-volt batteries to fit nicely under the step.

I've since upgraded to lithiums, so I'm working on converting the under step area to an enclosed shoe storage compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VID_20200527_140626_exported_0.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	45123  
Old 02-11-2024, 03:27 PM   #18

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
Chateau_Nomad Clever!

As above:
CLEVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
A fairly simple mod I did... a wooden frame (painted black) and screwed in place. It fits on top of the existing metal frame supporting the top step.

While it did raise the step slightly, we have no issues. It allowed two GC2 6-volt batteries to fit nicely under the step.

I've since upgraded to lithiums, so I'm working on converting the under step area to an enclosed shoe storage compartment.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:16 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Well my 2 OE FLA house batteries are date coded 2/19. So 5 years old. I took them out ( 10 minute job) and took them to Autozone for load testing. Figured they had to be past their prime. Nope. Load tested with 2 different devices. Good. Checked each cell with hydrometer, good. So I topped em off. Put Ďem back in. They have no brand or size info on them.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:30 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Well my 2 OE FLA house batteries are date coded 2/19. So 5 years old. I took them out ( 10 minute job) and took them to Autozone for load testing. Figured they had to be past their prime. Nope. Load tested with 2 different devices. Good. Checked each cell with hydrometer, good. So I topped em off. Put Ďem back in. They have no brand or size info on them.
Unfortunately, load testing is not capacity testing. When I swapped out my 5 YO FLA batteries they load tested fine but they were less than 50 % capacity at the 20 hour rate.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote