Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
Start small

My wife and I have 60 years of experience in Rving. We didn't have a lot of money to start with either...2LT in US Army making $222.30 a month. But we saved and bought the first of many RVs...a Coleman tent trailer. Almost any size vehicle can tow these. Ours came with nothing except the pull out beds but I made a kitchen cooktop and sink... bought a porta potty, a cooler and later even a propane powered device for hot water and shower. Tell your friend to start small... this test will allow him to see how he likes it. Happy Travels

Old 09-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #22

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you don't think you're hearing the answers you want: would you prefer that we lie to you?
Many of the younger generation are a I want it now because I deserve it now. Tell him/them that they should run right out to camping world and get the nicest shiniest, blingiest, fanciest, shiniest, wait said that already RV of their choice. RV life is the most relaxing, carefree, trouble free, way to travel since time warp. No planning needed, just look up campgrounds and head out. Always there will be plenty of sites available. There will be a host of those campgrounds that you see in the CW ads, family of 5 with 2 dogs running in a meadow by a pristine mountain lake on apparently 5 acres so no one else close by. Make sure you advise him/them to get the best extended service plan available because they'll want that when a piece of trim get's loose on their prized RV. RVs are bullet proof and built so well no maintenance is ever needed. Oh and when the salesman tells them that that 2021 Honda Civic can be flat towed believe him/her. Buying a new motorhome is such a rewarding experience but they can do what a lot of car companies are doing with touch-less, visit-less buying. Just look online, make an offer, send the money in and go pick it up. Then pack it up and head out. No need to read any stinking manuals or even ask advice. Go for it.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:14 PM   #23

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
My wife and I have 60 years of experience in Rving. We didn't have a lot of money to start with either...2LT in US Army making $222.30 a month. But we saved and bought the first of many RVs...a Coleman tent trailer. Almost any size vehicle can tow these. Ours came with nothing except the pull out beds but I made a kitchen cooktop and sink... bought a porta potty, a cooler and later even a propane powered device for hot water and shower. Tell your friend to start small... this test will allow him to see how he likes it. Happy Travels
I agree we had a tent camper and it was great except hornets getting in certain times of year. We loved it, outside kitchen and a Porta potty inside. Then my friend sold me a Colman tent camper with serge brakes with an outside kitchen with two dinettes pulled by a grand caravan with a 4 cylinder. Then I got a Ramcharger with a 440, slip it in low range and when it hit redline slap it into high and beat a few muscle cars. I remember brown County Indiana pulling into a field and the camper sunk and flooring it and dragging the camper out, it was so much fun. I remember going to union Grove Wisconsin and 3 of us in 69 chargers passing each other until I had to stop for a red light at 144. It was more fun back then, not sure what my 7.3 would do but pulling that much weight but it wouldn't be fun
Old 09-12-2021, 03:30 AM   #24

State: California
THOR #19337
We moved from Tents to a truck camper. use the truck for your daily transportation and to hull the camper. We then bought an old Lance camper for $2000 and used it monthly, with many repairs for 10 years. Replaced it with an Artic Fox. loved them both and after retirement we moved up to a Thor Quantum, lots more money etc.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:42 AM   #25

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Go there with cash and get the title and just hope that there really is not a reason why it was so inexpensive.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #26

State: New York
THOR #21937
There are no shortcuts. I bought my 1995 Thor in January of this year. Only paid $5,800 for it but then sunk another $5,000-$8,000 in repairs and upgrades over the next 9 months. I'm lucky that I'm extremely handy and have the tools and resources to do my own work. I don't always love it, but at least I'm able.

Helped my daughter buy a 32' travel trailer last December. It is a 2003 and only cost her $2,700. Between us, we've put maybe another $3,000 over the ensuing 10 months. Her TT has had roof leaks, electrical problems, an oven and refrigerator that quit… And to top it off, she has no vehicle strong enough to pull it so she is full time but stationary.

We both got amazing deals. We both also took on lots of extra work and have had to deal with various and sundry headaches. That goes with the territory.

Unless the son of a friend in question is very handy, or able to constantly lean on someone who is (my daughter is not super handy so I'm continuously on call), buying cheap is going to be just flushing money down the crapper. Even if he is very handy, finding a great deal is going to take time and a lot of research. It did in both our cases.
JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #27

State: Kentucky
THOR #15113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhhoy View Post
OK. I don't think that this is the answer that I (they) are looking for. Perhaps Thor Forums is not where I need to go for this information.
Ok here’s a common sense answer.. but first these guys are right , it’s a money pit and all money spent is just to keep it going and if he plans to live in it , better be in a RV park or private land with no restrictions or you’ll be buying something you cant use or park where you want.

My advice , go to RV trader and search for only one owners.. they are out there. I’ve seen several class c bought new, driven 100k +miles over the 15yrs or so, when the owners decided not to travel for one reason or another. They mostly are well maintained and the older owners just wants it gone.

This is lowest risk for new ownership.. anything other , the risk of mechanical problems half ass fixed by multiple owners rises exponentially.

Hope this helps, just my 2 cents
Old 09-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #28

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Ontario
THOR #10180
Do not buy a Thor product

Tell your friend not to buy a Thor product. New or Used. The have major quality issues and do not stand behind their product. Avoid them no matter how good the deal sounds
Old 09-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We have a 2016 Thor Vegas 24.1 with now just over 40k miles.

I should have got one years prior. The ability to take your effectively house with you is great freedom.

The only real downside is like a house, there is upkeep. Just resealed roof joints a 2nd time trying to stay ahead of issues. I cannot say I would have had time to keep up with job, family, race car (rv tows open race trailer) main house and race car.

For us was great investment. Being retired allows time to do upkeep and have it ready to use like an appliance. Another key is it never sits long and is always connected to shore power on trips or generator at track. Keeping a/c on 81 keeps interior dry. The rv seems same as day we brought home in June 2016.

Having RV is great but to get best value need commitment of time.

Being able to service/repair helps a lot.

I got no issues with Thor product, at the price point the value was there for us.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhhoy View Post
OK. I don't think that this is the answer that I (they) are looking for. Perhaps Thor Forums is not where I need to go for this information.
The OP took his football and went home. He has not returned to read and benefit from the good information posted after his last post above. Maybe other readers can benefit from the wisdom though.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
The Middle

Somehow. This comes to mind, Alex buying a junky winnebago and living in it with 3 others at college to avoid living expenses, moving it around and collecting parking tickets now and then. Anything can work when it comes to rv life
Old 09-14-2021, 10:34 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Many of the younger generation are a I want it now because I deserve it now. Tell him/them that they should run right out to camping world and get the nicest shiniest, blingiest, fanciest, shiniest, wait said that already RV of their choice. RV life is the most relaxing, carefree, trouble free, way to travel since time warp. No planning needed, just look up campgrounds and head out. Always there will be plenty of sites available. There will be a host of those campgrounds that you see in the CW ads, family of 5 with 2 dogs running in a meadow by a pristine mountain lake on apparently 5 acres so no one else close by. Make sure you advise him/them to get the best extended service plan available because they'll want that when a piece of trim get's loose on their prized RV. RVs are bullet proof and built so well no maintenance is ever needed. Oh and when the salesman tells them that that 2021 Honda Civic can be flat towed believe him/her. Buying a new motorhome is such a rewarding experience but they can do what a lot of car companies are doing with touch-less, visit-less buying. Just look online, make an offer, send the money in and go pick it up. Then pack it up and head out. No need to read any stinking manuals or even ask advice. Go for it.
. Can we also tell them about that bridge in Brooklyn; which we have for sale?
Old 09-15-2021, 10:43 PM   #33

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
. Can we also tell them about that bridge in Brooklyn; which we have for sale?
The bridge was in Nevada not Brooklyn and I already sold it to a 28 year old millennial who wanted it for the view of the bay.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote