Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 23TB
State: Illinois
THOR #9509
How to buy an inexpensive, used MH

Please let me know if this is not an appropriate posting.

The son of a friend of mine is thinking about buying a motorhome. Since I have one, and love it (2017 Thor Compass), my friend asked me if I had any advice for his son. I am a retired MH owner who likes to wander around in comfort, so my MH is pretty new and loaded with nice features. However, my friend said that his son doesn't have a lot of money, but would like a basic MH that is reliable for long trips.
So, my question is ... where should I tell him to start? Is there a forum that might ask the right questions? Would an RV "book" be the place to start? Is there a good marketplace the he could go to?

Thanks for any ideas that you might have.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:43 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Tell him it's a hobby that isn't for young people without a large percentage of disposable(like flush it or burn it type disposable) CASH...MONTHLY.

Tell him it is borderline deranged.
Tell him it is, in fact, deranged.
Tell him no.
Tell him some old sled of an rv might need $5,000 dumped into it after the first trip.
Tell him to rent an rv whenever the whim becomes a mandate and he must travel.

Otherwise,
It'll all be your fault later when rv reality smacks him right in the black tank valve.

You're asking fourth party strangers for a party who will then inform a party who doesn't have the money to succeed.
That'll never go bad....

And
Am I guessing correctly that this may be some;
I'll live in this so I'll be rent free
Plan?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
And do to COVID, anything worth purchasing has been inflated. It is amazing just how much used RV's have increased in value. This will not last forever though. He could start how some of us did when we were young by purchasing a used tent trailer.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Tell him it's a hobby that isn't for young people without a large percentage of disposable(like flush it or burn it type disposable) CASH...MONTHLY.

Tell him it's borderline deranged.
Tell him no.
Tell him some old sled of an rv might need $5,000 dumped into it after the first trip.
Tell him to rent an rv whenever the whim becomes a mandate and he must travel.

Otherwise,
It'll all be your fault later when rv reality smacks him right in the black tank valve.

You're asking fourth party strangers for a party who will then inform a party who doesn't have the money to succeed.
That'll never go bad....

And
Am I guessing correctly that this may be some;
I'll live in this so I'll be rent free
Plan?
I'm afraid that I have to agree with Ducky.
This is not an activity for the faint of heart. It takes a certain stubbornness, and an ability to look at setbacks; as opportunity.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505

Ask this guy!
Old 09-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #6

Model: 23TB
THOR #9509
OK. I don't think that this is the answer that I (they) are looking for. Perhaps Thor Forums is not where I need to go for this information.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #7

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhhoy View Post
OK. I don't think that this is the answer that I (they) are looking for. Perhaps Thor Forums is not where I need to go for this information.
Perhaps it's the place you exactly should have come to.
If you're looking for;
Kick the tires, that always works
Get a low interest rate
Don't buy a red one cops love red
Check the obituaries. That widow won't need that rv anymore.
Then
Anyone in-line at the grocery store will do.

I doubt anyone with any experience is going to say it's a grand idea.

Not mean,
Just blunt.
Just exactly what I would say in person until I had that dad laughing about it all.
And
If they are looking for a specific answer, they never had a question. They had a statement.

Stay here as others answer. Then decide if youre in the wrong place or if we would tell our own kids differently.
I typed these both exactly as I would have told a cherished(or not so cherished)nephew.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Large R V rental companies sell off their coaches usually after one or two years of service. You could have him look into that option. Your friend's son should be made aware of the pitfalls that the sold ex-rental r v might have been used/abused by those that had rented it. The flip side is that the majority of issues should have been fully worked out and repaired.

Paul
Old 09-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #9

THOR #13932
Have him look up

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/

That should work toward what he's looking/budgeted for.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #10

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Bobhhoy,

Tough place this is... these guys have experience and know the truth. No money and reliable long trips just dont mesh. This hobby will take all your time and effort to ensure safe and reliable trips. I never want to get stuck on the road. I make sure everything is working order before we depart the RV Park gate.

I then load the family, pets, and refrig. and a few hundred dollars worth of gas. is your friends son willing to do this? If so, he can vacation in his own bed COVID free. Park right up on the beach, get back shower off and have a clean bed to sleep in and do it tomorrow..... good luck
Old 09-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #11

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342

This video is ridiculous. this probably cost over 1000 dollars and who knows how much time? two types of people in this world. Those that want to spend all their time fixing RV's and those that actually want to travel in there RV's. Sort of like Boating, Flying etc.

I would rather spend my time RV in...
Old 09-05-2021, 10:34 PM   #12

THOR #13932
I like piddlin' with the rv as much as I like using it.

Keep it prissy and 'correct' when the underside is all cut and paste and over kill.

Don't misunderstand: that reroof is NOT fun and not zomething i would do. I take no pride in doing a mundane task just so I don't have to pay a professional.
My black tank all on timers and relays and a single switch to do it all...remotely? Yup.
Leag spring front end and a front hitch from hell itself? Yup.
Swap out the radiator? Nope. Change spark plugs? Nope.

This is
Kinda
Why I mentioned the schoolie site.
Ability will be wrought by adversity.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:05 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Maybe he should start RVing as a young guy like I did. My first RV was a Pinto hatchback, second one was a 1/2 ton Chevy Van, third one was a SuperBeetle, all while I was young and single.

Once I got married and had a family it was over to tent camping to start, then to a pop-up trailer, then to a travel trailer or 2 or 3 and then to a real MH.

You should know without anybody having to tell you that in the world of cars, MHs, or RVs in general, cheap is at the opposite end of the spectrum from reliable.

The real question is: Why isn't this kid himself coming here and asking the pertinent questions instead of going through at least 2 filters?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:35 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Good luck we are here to help..we pulled an 18 ft $15k camper and loved it
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:42 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Tell him to binge watch youtube videos. Not the ones from the ebeggers that convince companies to sponsor them, but the ones that tell there stories of refurbing and using/living in older coaches.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you don't think you're hearing the answers you want: would you prefer that we lie to you?
Old 09-06-2021, 01:38 AM   #17

Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
It depends on a couple things.whats your idea of inexpensive? Are you planning on financing? Can you diagnose and repair things on your own? There are plenty of good rv's out there anything worth owning is at least 25k,best place to find is on facebook marketplace but individual owners want cash no financing and banks wont loan on a rv older than about 8 -10 years so if you cant write a check for 30k then you need to find a rig thats 5 to 8 years old,low mileage but around 60 to 90k.if you want a 5 to 10 k rig it wont be reliable,needs 1500 in tires,all the applances are at the end of their life cycle.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #18

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Buying a used RV

Tell your friend to have her son look at www.RVtrader.com, Facebook market place and Craigslist.

He will find a multitude of different RV's in different price ranges.

Also tell him to rent a RV for a weekend or a week and try it out before he spends the thousands to purchase.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #19

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
THOR #20274
Quote:

The son of a friend of mine is thinking about buying a motorhome. Since I have one, and love it (2017 Thor Compass), my friend asked me if I had any advice for his son. I am a retired MH owner who likes to wander around in comfort, so my MH is pretty new and loaded with nice features. However, my friend said that his son doesn't have a lot of money, but would like a basic MH that is reliable for long trips.
So, my question is ... where should I tell him to start? Is there a forum that might ask the right questions? Would an RV "book" be the place to start? Is there a good marketplace the he could go to?

Young couple camped across from us in a 2002 Pace Arrow towing an old Saturn. They were going across the US. The only thing he replace was the battery. I asked him about the motorhome, he didn't know anything he just drives it. I asked him if it was the Chevy 8.1 or the V10 engine he didn't know. They left Wisconsin the next morning and they were going to New Mexico. If this was me I probably would have broke down 3 times already, that's just my luck. I hope he's mechanically inclined because it could cost a lot to fix small things if he takes it in to a repair shop instead of fixing it himself
Old 09-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #20

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:

Look. There is no magic place or secret information lurking behind internet firewalls or under the Covid tree. The only way this guy can buy an RV is the same way everyone else did. Go to RV dealerships. Look at everything they have, test drive a few interesting one's. Then go to at least 2 more dealerships and repeat this process. By then he will have a good idea of what type he likes and what amenities he wants. With that knowledge he can narrow his search to the few models he wants. Then it's internet time. Determine the values by years, make, models, mileage, accessories. Now use the internet to shop virtually every dealer in America. If he finds the right rig at the right price he can fly anywhere and taxi to the dealer after making a cursory deal via internet and phone. Test drive, PDI checklist, pay the money and go. I drove 16 hours to pick up my last RV purchase. Had to do it because they had the right rig at the right price that saved me $20,000 over the next choice that wasn't as good. Having said all this, it is true not all buyers are good negotiators. Some pay too much or buy the wrong thing. But the good part is if you do all your own work to buy (and it is a lot of work) you will know what you're doing and you will own all the decisions and that's the way it should be.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote