Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #6110
Howdy!

Suzanne and I just purchased a Challenger 37YT and (after being RV-less for over a year) are looking forward to getting to know her and putting some miles on that chassis.

Look forward to getting to know some other Thor owners as well.

My only question has to do with towing 4 down. I previously only used a dolly but I'm ready to tow a 2015 Rubicon 4dr, 4 down.

What setups/brands/dealers would anybody recommend?

TIA
David

Troutkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Welcome

Welcome to the Forums...I am relatively new here also, but I've learned a lot in a short amount of time. Read and enjoy.

As for the 4-down towing, I haven't done that in several years, so no help from me...sorry.

We traded a 37' Pace Arrow to a 26.5' Vegas 25.3 just for the size and maneuverability...we can go so many more places and don't have to have a toad when just touring.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I towed our 4dr Wrangler 4 down with no problems. I used a Blue Ox baseplate, motorhome mounted 10,000 lb towbar and a brake buddy braking system which I bought super cheap. CooltechLLC makes a great electrical tow harness which is super easy to use. I had a spare ignition key made without the chip, used it to unlock the steering column when driving. Blue Ox also makes a keyed alike set of hitch pins which are a nice option.

That's pretty much it, wiring harness went on in about 30 min. Baseplate was a challenge but looked and worked great once it was on. With the Blue Ox towbar one person can hook up everything in just a few minutes. When not being used the towbar stays on the MH and has a cover, don't have to mess with storage.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #4

THOR #6110
Thanks for the welcome and for the advice on a towing setup

More importantly thank you for your service.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Welcome...
We tow our 2010 2dr Wrangler 4 down.

Using Roadmaster base plates, Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar (allows easy connect/disconnect even when not level or perfectly in line), and Invisibrake (permanently mounted braking system which makes use of the jeep's power brakes)... OEM Mopar wiring harness which drives existing lights with embilical to RV (inserts between major harness under passenger dash), and battery disconnect. No steering lock on mine - so no need for key.

So - with a couple of replies you have seen the two major brands (Roadmaster and Blue Ox) - and the 2 main styles of braking (permanent install vs portable)...
No wrong answer between them - just personal preference... and cost.

I got the Roadmaster setup at the time cheaper than the Blue Ox... The Invisibrake and Brake Buddy were about the same (Invisibrake was a little more with install) - but opted for the simpler connection.

Shop around... I installed the wiring harness. Had camping world do the baseplates, Invisibrake install - they were running a special for Good Sam's members. I could have easily done the base plates... The Invisibrake is a bit of an install - wasn't worth my time to do when they did it for $149...

The Jeeps (4x4) are great flat tows... With proper setup - I never feel it on braking (it takes care of its own weight) - I do feel it some on acceleration... downshifts more often... and costs maybe a couple of MPG.

Can easily cost $2000 to fully set up... but easiest way I've towed anything.

Check prices on etrailer.com.. Good reference even if you don't buy there.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #6

THOR #5196
GMC is right, easiest flat tow their is. I would shop around for prices, sometimes you can find what you need used and save a bunch! I got my Brake Buddy, used two times, for half retail price. Check Craigslist or a penny saver.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:24 AM   #7

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Towing a Jeep

We have our 2013 Jeep set up for towing and have used it many times. We went the Blue Ox baseplate, tow bar, and their portable braking system.

We also used the Mopar OEM wiring harness. We had the dealership install it for us.

I haven't had a chance to see what towing the Jeep is like in the Axis. But, it was pretty easy to tow with our last RV. It was an Itasca Reyo--a Sprinter based RV.

Just don't do what I did the last time we towed the Jeep. Always release the parking break before you start towing!
Old 12-18-2016, 01:32 AM   #8

THOR #5196
I would also add make sure your transfer case is in neutral! Shift transfer case to neutral, put jeep in gear and see if it moves, if it doesn't move you are truly in neutral.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:00 AM   #9

Model: WINDSPORT
THOR #4417
We used the Blue Ox baseplate, tow bar, and the Patriot brake system. We tow a 2016 Jeep Wrangler and had Jeep dealer install the Mopar wiring harness and that allows to pull it with another vehicle if needed. Have no problems with system. Have towed it across Texas twice and up through Idaho, Montana and back to Texas. Sister in law recommended it to us.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:19 AM   #10
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I would also add make sure your transfer case is in neutral! Shift transfer case to neutral, put jeep in gear and see if it moves, if it doesn't move you are truly in neutral.
Very true - I'd add to RTFM... Read The FINE Manual that came with your Jeep...
Mine had specific warnings about shifting in/out of Park with engine running and transfer case in neutral... that it could damage the transmission.
Simple to avoid - just shift in/out of Park with engine OFF when transfer case is in Neutral - but each make/model may be different - and no substitute for reading the owners manual... "I read it on a forum" won't get your warranty to cover the damage...

Other addition I would recommend is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)... Your Jeep has one - but it won't alert you when its being towed... and by the time you 'feel' something wrong in the RV - will be too later for the tire... rim... etc... I monitor the 6 RV tires plus 4 toad tires - hopefully to detect a problem before a blowout (pressure and temperature warnings) - but will certainly let me know if a tire on the Jeep goes flat... You do need the right sensors (different for valves that already have TPMS - as they are different metals and can have a reaction with the wrong add on sensor...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:44 AM   #11

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Very true - I'd add to RTFM... Read The FINE Manual that came with your Jeep...
When this had happened, I had towed the Jeep from Atlanta out to Utah back three times. Not to mention the other side trips.

When I started towing it, I was religious about following exactly the 14 (or so) steps to prep the Jeep for towing. I actually had the manual on my iPad so that I could find it easily.

I think this was the first time that I didn't have the manual out and reading it! I think I'll go back to running through the check list.

I only drove it 60 miles with the emergency break on. Doesn't seem to have cause any permanent damage.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:58 AM   #12

THOR #5196
I agree with GMC, read your manual. On our jeep with the engine running, shifter in drive, foot on brake, shifted transfer case to neutral, eased off brake to check for movement, then back to park, and engine off. I'm sure different years have different requirements, to avoid problems, read.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
4 down towing setup

We have a 2016 GMC terrain that we flat tow. I used a Roadmaster tow plate because it seemed like a better/easier install designed specifically for the Terrain. The Blue Ox is a good one also but it required some cutting and modifications of the chassis. The Roadmaster tow plate also came with the removable arms (like the Blue Ox) which makes the it real easy to connect/disconnect. I bought the baseplate and the light kit from etrailer.com.
I bought my towbar (a Roadmaster falcon) and my backup breaking system (BrakeBuddy) off of CraigsList.org. I got both of them for a fraction of the price of new ones. The towbar required a little cleaning and greasing but it works very well. The BrakeBuddy was about 6 years old and the compressor went out after a few months, but that’s not uncommon from what I’ve read on the Thorforums. I sent it to Brakebuddy and they fixed it for about $160 (still very much less than a new one). The other pieces (Brakebuddy brake away cable and kit) I purchased off Amazon.com. I also installed a trickle charger that charges my car battery from the RV while being towed.
I had to shop around for the place to install the tow plate (I’m not as handy or motivated as a lot of the folks on the site!). I found one at a place that specializes in trailer hitch installations. They installed the baseplate, light kit, and battery trickle charger.
Like everyone else is saying, read your car’s owners manually closely. It will tell you the do’s and don’ts for towing your specific vehicle. Mine requires that I simply put the car in neutral and turn the key to ACC setting. Also, don’t tow over 65mph and run the car every 5 hrs to circulate transmission fluid. Pretty standard stuff. GMC also say’s to remove a fuse to keep from running the battery down. Since I put in the trickle charger I can skip that.
Good luck!
Old 12-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #14

THOR #5196
If you use the CooltechLLC wiring harness it comes with a battery disconnect so your doesn't run down, only problem is you have to reset your radio each time.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #1020
First congrats on the new Challenger. The new YT model looks super. We've towed our Explorer 4 down for more than 28,000 miles. It has been great. I'd recommend you read all of the above and then take an electronic stroll over to Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924. Lots of information, lots of videos and lots of pricing. You probably find need items a bit less expensive elsewhere but their information (IMO) is the best.

Again, welcome to the Challenger family.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Torutkiller - did not see where in TX you are. If near Houston - highly recommend Smitty's RV and Welding for your hook-up needs. Fantastic bunch of guys.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:37 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Hi, we finally gave up on our 1986 28ft American.(parts) we purchased a Fourwinds, E-22. A year later, we knew what we really wanted in an RV. This fall we purchased an Axis 25.2. Drove it home and put it in storage. Hope to get it out and head south for a couple weeks in January. Looking forward to gleaning advise and experiences from this forum.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #18

THOR #6110

Thanks everybody.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:42 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Hi, we finally gave up on our 1986 28ft American.(parts) we purchased a Fourwinds, E-22. A year later, we knew what we really wanted in an RV. This fall we purchased an Axis 25.2. Drove it home and put it in storage. Hope to get it out and head south for a couple weeks in January. Looking forward to gleaning advise and experiences from this forum.
Welcome to the Forums!!
Old 12-19-2016, 03:40 AM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I did all my tow vehicle install myself. Pretty easy but a little time consuming. We tow a new 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I went with a Roadmaster base plate. 3 bolts on each side. No removing the bumper and cutting the frame (Blue Ox). I went with the Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake system. Again easy install by myself. I've only used it one time for a trip up to the local mountains. Worked great.

Good luck with what ever system you choose.

Now lets get to the real important stuff. Trout Killer. Tell me about your fishing!!!! I'm an avid fishermen. Love my lake/river/stream trout fishing but going after big tuna is my favorite.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YellowFin Tuna.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	3570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salmon.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	3571  

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport