Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #1

Brand: KZ RV
Model: Venture Stratus SR261VRL
State: Texas
THOR #7966
Howdy from Texas!

We live right outside of the Dallas area and are looking closely at the Thor RUV line. From what I understand Thor makes two separate lines of RUVs - the Axis model and the Vegas model. At first glance it appears that they are almost exactly the same - hopefully some of the forum members on here can tell me the difference between them.

Our son plays soccer year round, both in high school and for a club so we are constantly on the road to games, tournaments, or training camps. We would like to find something that we could throw everything into (mom, dad, son, and two Miniature Schnauzers) and head out to the events.

Some events will be just for the day and the coach will serve as our base of operations. Tournaments might last for two or three days and we would be staying overnight in the coach which would save on motel bills - and kennel bills for the dogs if we had to leave them at home. I understand the Thor RUVs have a generator so we could leave the AC running for the dogs while we were out of the coach.

Back in 2005 we had a new Fleetwood Discovery DP that we kept for three years. We're familiar with RVs but not with anything like these RUV models. They seem perfect for what our needs are right now so I would appreciate any feedback from owners that have these models. Let me know the pros and cons of how these coaches would match up with what we're looking for.

If there are quality issues with these coaches, problems with the engine or chassis, please let me know that too. Can the standard AC keep the coach cool in 100 degree + Texas temps or would we need to upgrade to a bigger unit? How about towing a vehicle - can the frame and engine handle a toad, and if so what size? How about the generator - does it run off of propane or gasoline - what are the service intervals? Anything that you can share would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Axis and Vegas are identical in floorplan with only minor cosmetic differences (color scheme, headlight orientations, etc.).

We've used our Axis to tailgate my son's baseball games:

Quality wise they are probably slightly above average for Thor. There are many happy owners but there is the unlucky one with some serious issues. You really need to have a good dealer to sort that out.

As far as TX heat: yes get the larger A/C unit but also get front window shades (like the Magne Shade unit or a Sunguard RV Windshield cover) they will drastically reduce the amount of heat coming in from the front window.

The frame is an E-350 or E-450 (depending on the floorplan you get) with the V-10 engine. There is more than enough engine for just about anything you want to tow (the V-10 is also in the much larger F-53 framed motorhomes thus there is plenty to spare in a smaller unit like the Axis/Vegas).

Genny runs off the gas tank.

Lastly, if you're even thinking of an Axis or Vegas unit download and read the crowd sourced user manual here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html (Pretty much all of your questions and more will be answered in that manual.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Either is a rv so pack tools, duct tape & bailing wire along with a credit card. Seriously, enjoy & safe travels.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Either is a rv so pack tools, duct tape & bailing wire along with a credit card. Seriously, enjoy & safe travels.
LOL!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
As Jamie pointed out so well the only differences are cosmetic. The Axis/Vegas are very popular RVs with many good reviews. In the Texas heat you definitely need the largest AC you can find! Great thing about the RUVs is their small size greatly reduces the times when you would need a toad, kind of like driving a larger SUV.

For the reasons you have pointed out I think the Axis/Vegas would be a perfect vehicle for you. MSHRV in Alvarado carries a large selection of Thor and other brand coaches, I purchased from them and had a great experience, would buy from them again!!! Good luck and happy hunting in your search
Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #7722
We are buying a 24.1 Axis next Tuesday. We have to pickup in NY so hopefully it's everything they say it is. Very excited about the next chapter of our traveling life.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas View Post
We are buying a 24.1 Axis next Tuesday. We have to pickup in NY so hopefully it's everything they say it is. Very excited about the next chapter of our traveling life.
Make sure you pick up Ed's manual and read the section on PDI:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
Old 06-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #8

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
I THINK the difference in the E350 and E450 is the amount you can toad. Someone else can chime in because you mentioned possibly having a toad. Please, someone state the differences/limitations between the 2 chassis. I, also think the dealer might not know and you would need the VIN # to check?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
I THINK the difference in the E350 and E450 is the amount you can toad. Someone else can chime in because you mentioned possibly having a toad. Please, someone state the differences/limitations between the 2 chassis. I, also think the dealer might not know and you would need the VIN # to check?
The differences between the E350 and the E450 is the weight ratings (the E450 has a 2k lb higher GVWR and a higher GCWR). The engine and transmission are the same.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #10

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The differences between the E350 and the E450 is the weight ratings (the E450 has a 2k lb higher GVWR and a higher GCWR). The engine and transmission are the same.
Yea, what Jamie said!!