Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #9084
Hurricane preparedness

My husband and I are new ACE owners and we live in Floida. Are there any preparations we can do to our MH before the bad weather happens? My son suggested putting the levelers up so the MH would have all wheels on the ground. Any info on this? Thanks and be safe this week.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is probably too simple of an answer...
Since nothing is more valuable than your own lives: why not just pack it up with what you can carry, and get out of the Storm's way?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #2954
I live in NW Florida and have been through Ivan, Dennis, Erin, Opal, the edge of Katrina and several smaller Hurricanes. We treat our RV like an Ark. We prep as if we are going boondocking for a week (In Ivan we had a week without power and 3 days without water). That means fill up everything before the panic shopping begins. That includes propane, fresh water tank, and of course gas. We exercise the Generator to make sure it is good to go. Finally, we empty the gray and black tanks. Then we watch the weather. The beauty of the RV is we can get 50 to 100 miles away quickly. The key is do not get caught in the panic evacuation. Crawling along with an RV and a toad for 12-16 hours is the worst. My rule of thumb is if the RV can be exposed to 50+ mph winds then we bug out for a day. Not only is the RV a large springy wall, I also don't want my neighbors patio enclosure smashing into my RV (yes, my neighbor lost his patio in one of the storms). After the worst has passed we can quickly get home, start the cleanup, and live out of the RV if needed. I have been through several Florida thunderstorms (i.e. 40+ mph wind gusts) with the Jacks down with no problem. I do pull the slides and awning in though. Slide toppers have been known to tear in high winds.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good advice!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Ours will stay parked in our driveway. Slides in, jacks down, unplugged, water tank full. When the power is out it'll allow us to have hot showers, air conditioning, and the ability to prepare meals.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How far are you from the projected path of the storm?
Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Live on the beach in New Smyrna just moved RV to my friends warehouse heading out Saturday AM to hotel by Disney

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

THOR #6310
We're about 40 miles inland from the east coast, just outside Orlando. Storm surge is not an issue for us. Wind can be, but we've taken all protective measures and I feel confident we'll be fine.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
This is probably too simple of an answer...
Since nothing is more valuable than your own lives: why not just pack it up with what you can carry, and get out of the Storm's way?

Great idea if you do it early enough. From Southeast Florida main roads headed north (I-95 and Turnpike) are starting to look like a parking lot, and gas shortages may leave some evacuees stranded.

I left flooded Houston after waters receded some last week and are now a couple of miles from Atlantic beaches in south Florida, right in center of projected path.

Leaving wasn't an option (for other reasons), or else I'd be 1,000 miles away by now. I had problems filling gas in our van a couple of days ago, and it's gotten a lot worse since then.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #10

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Great idea if you do it early enough. From Southeast Florida main roads headed north (I-95 and Turnpike) are starting to look like a parking lot, and gas shortages may leave some evacuees stranded.

I left flooded Houston after waters receded some last week and are now a couple of miles from Atlantic beaches in south Florida, right in center of projected path.

Leaving wasn't an option (for other reasons), or else I'd be 1,000 miles away by now. I had problems filling gas in our van a couple of days ago, and it's gotten a lot worse since then.
Ummm yeah, you're in the storm surge zone. I would NOT stay there if you don't have to. At the very least, go to a shelter.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
We're about 40 miles inland from the east coast, just outside Orlando. Storm surge is not an issue for us. Wind can be, but we've taken all protective measures and I feel confident we'll be fine.
We have family in Lakeland...friends from Ft. Lauderdale are coming to them to evade the worst of the storm.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
We live in central California, far away from hurricanes but have been discussing "what if" a lot listening to the news. I think I would grab important documents, pictures, my 14 year old dog and his food and head for the hills!

To everyone in the path of Irma - be safe!
Old 09-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
A tip that I learned a long time ago clean out your dishwasher Put all of you important papers in there art work any thing of value this will keep very thing dry and safe...
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
To everyone in the path of Irma - be safe!
Amen...
Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 AM   #15

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
We left town!

We secured our home in South Florida, packed up our ACE MH with enough supplies and clothes for 2 weeks. We have a plastic document case with all of our household paperwork, insurance etc. We bring an emergency kit with our extensive first aid supplies and other might need items.
We pulled out Wednesday morning and are now camped out in a nice RV park near Birmingham AL, well away from the storm!
As I write this Thursday evening, the updated storm track has moved West. It looks as though some areas that people though might be safe are now going to experience hurricane strength winds and rain in the center of the State, such as Orlando and Ocala!
I think our decision to leave early was a good one. We did see many RV's headed North and West on our way out.
Our best wishes and prayers to those who stayed behind

Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
Florida
Old 09-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We're between Orlando and Ocala, far from storm surge risk and mandatory evacuations. Gas stations in the area have been running out of gas to sell. Reports says roads north are bumper to bumper and slow.

We've done what we could to prepare for high winds, and are ready to hunker down. Prayers for those who will suffer from this storm!
Old 09-08-2017, 03:23 AM   #17

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Just curious how you "prepare" for 30+ hours of 180+ mph winds? I cant think of any structure above ground that could take kind of pounding.
We grew up in the Texas panhandle with days & days of 40+ sustained winds & 60-80 mph gust & I can't even imagine adding 100 mph to that.
I pray for all that cannot leave Florida that all are safe once this is over.
God bless & good luck!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How do you prepare??
That's easy: get out of it's way!

This storm is all over the news: everywhere! It's a real; B E A S T !
With 155 mph iwinds right now, it's going to be hitting a big patch of warm water before it lands on Florida... That'll give it even more of a chance to strengthen!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Just curious how you "prepare" for 30+ hours of 180+ mph winds? I cant think of any structure above ground that could take kind of pounding.
We grew up in the Texas panhandle with days & days of 40+ sustained winds & 60-80 mph gust & I can't even imagine adding 100 mph to that.
I pray for all that cannot leave Florida that all are safe once this is over.
God bless & good luck!

Thanks TT.

You're right in that many buildings can't take 180 MPH winds (fortunately below that already); which is much higher than building code requirements (at least old code). You just hope the eye wall doesn't hit you directly like Andrew hit buildings in this area years ago.

As to preparations, I can only say what we did. On arrival at my parents' house, we moved all patio furniture and outdoor wall decorations from screen room to inside house, then installed hurricane shutters over all windows and glass doors. We also moved their car to highest point on driveway, and went North about 70 miles to family's house where my parents were staying.

There we are doing the same again. Shutters and picking up everything outside that can become a missile. We expect to lose power for extended period so started generator and filled gas cans.

We'll be moving their new Thor motorhome to driveway so it will give us a backup generator with 60 gallons of fuel to keep fridge in house running after storm passes. It's not up to me, but I wouldn't try running the MH's propane fridge through the storm. Plus it's too small anyway.

I expect some damage at my parents' house (at least screen room), but it's just a building. People safety is only real concern I have due to higher winds than I've experienced before if we get direct hit. Latest report shifted Irma a little west so we may luck out.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #20

State: Arizona
THOR #7863
My prayers added for the safety of everyone in the path of these storms.

Reading the comments, I'm wondering about the gasoline availability issues some reported. I'm new at this, but at least so far, I fuel up before parking it at the storage yard. That way it's always ready to go when we are. Is there a reason not to park with a full gas tank? I don't expect to ever go more than a month or so without driving it.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote