Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
I chose not to purchase any insurance and instead to self-insure. I put $125 a month into an account. I don't think that insurance or extended warranties are worth the price, but do offer peace of mind. I am gambling that nothing that is covered under insurance will happen within the first two years ( one of which is already covered by original warranty). If not needed, I will have $3000 saved for repairs.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How far do you think that $1500 per year is going to go?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #23

Model: View
State: Nevada
THOR #7987
When we bought our 2017 ACE 29.3 from Camping World, they offered the extended warranty for 4,000. I believe the finance officer came down on the price a bit, since they always have some wiggle room in their commission. I believe we got the "Monday hung over" RV, or whatever label you want to give it. We have had way more than 4,000 dollars worth of repairs done under the extended warranty, and so for us it was definitely worth it! In fact, as I type this it is in the shop having another 2,000 dollars worth of repair being done to the slide assembly. We will only have to pay 400. of that bill. I don't know what company they are working with now, but our policy is underwritten by Assurant. We have had the step assembly repaired and then replaced, the transfer switch and converter replaced, slide motors replaced, and a few other things done under original warranty before it expired at one year. We still have a number of miles and time left on our extended warranty. Well worth it in this case, but you should be able to get it for a lot less than 12,000.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #24

Model: View
State: Nevada
THOR #7987
Oh, and there have been two mobile repair visits, one after a wire smoldering with a little bit of flame incident..... The list actually goes on. Because the wire problem was on a weekend, and we had to move out of the state park by a specified time, and we could not inhabit the RV the night of the incident, we had to pay for everything up front, but we got reimbursed at the appropriate rate for the repairs, and also got reimbursed for our hotel room for the one night.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Extended service plans are like any insurance coverage. You may not need it - in which case it’s a TOTAL waste of money. But if you do need it you’ll be glad you bought it. If you have a pretty basic coach and are “handy” you might never see the inside of a service center. But there are a few things that can get pretty pricey to repair. Like hydraulic jacks, generators and some slide problems. It’s hard to put a price on piece of mind. Oh and do know that Good Sams plans are totally price negotiable. You should be able to get at least 40% off their first quote. Also you don’t need to buy all of the components. Finish protection, for example, is typically just an expensive spray on wax. Also know that the plans have many exclusions and rules. And they do not cover the structure or leaks. Just mechanical systems. Also you can change your mind and get a full or prorated refund.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:24 AM   #26

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #17621
Extended Warranty is fine until you want to use it.....was told it doesn't cover the leveling system.....Hmmm...bumper to bumper????
Old 02-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidgrape View Post
Extended Warranty is fine until you want to use it.....was told it doesn't cover the leveling system.....Hmmm...bumper to bumper????

What plan did you have? Unless I could find a specific exclusion for the jacks in the written plan details I’d be raising quite a fuss! But I also think the companies do everything they can to avoid paying. They try to wear you down so you just give up and pay it yourself. You may be out of luck though if you authorized the repair before you contacted the plan administrator. The plans I’ve seen state clearly that there will be no payment and no appeal if the repair is not preapproved. It’s harsh but it’s there in writing when you sign.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #28

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #17621
Had issues within the 1st years with seals on rt. front jack....then it blew out again about 13 months after purchase...they still fixed at no cost, but they said it wasn't really covered....would have to go out to coach to look at warranty paperwork...is suppose to be 7 years...2 yrs to go.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We've only had one extended warranty claim, and it was handled to tour satisfaction.
(Slide wiring harness was buggered-up... )
Curiously enough: CW couldn't find the problem... but our new dealer found and fixed it quickly!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #30

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Extended warranties are a business and the underwriters have to make a profit to survive. Statistically RV owners as a group will do better to self insure and not buy extended warranties. However each individual RV owner might "win" if they have an expensive claim paid off, or "lose" if they pay expensive premiums and have no claims. The odds favor the insurer, otherwise they would not still be in business. But if you cannot afford a big repair bill then it might make sense to absorb the premium expense.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:48 PM   #31

Model: ACE
State: North Carolina
THOR #4293
Had their insurance for 1 year.....found on renewal information that I would not have been covered had there been accident and/or claim. Original information was not documented properly however policy itself did not show that. My suggestion is use your carrier that covers home/auto, etc. but NOT anything through Good Sam