Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #9612
RV mattress

Have ACE 29.3, looking to fine where we can check out for new mattress, the one that came with the RV just inst comfortable. Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We added a 3" Sleep on Latex topper to our mattress and it has worked out very well. DW has gone through a couple iterations for our bed at home and ended up with the Sleep on Latex so we got one for the RV. They custom cut a mattress topper for the RV mattress as they aren't standard bed sizes. I think it cost about $15 extra plus they sent us the cut off section that she has used to make a couple of pillows. They also make foundation mattresses, which we found we didn't need for the RV. At home we have a 9" mattress and a 3" topper. The toppers come in 1, 2 and 3 inch thicknesses.

https://sleeponlatex.com/?gclid=Cj0K...EaAhJ2EALw_wcB

We used a foam topper from Costco for a few years, but she was finding it too be too hard and didn't like the smell from off-gassing. The Sleep on Latex doesn't have those issues.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

THOR #9612
Thank you I'll check it out
Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you Google "RV Mattresses"; it'll give you all sorts of places to shop!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
How much do you want to spend? Sleep number makes RV mattresses. You get the same 20 year warranty as the home ones and they are still light and comfortable
Old 10-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad523 View Post
Have ACE 29.3, looking to fine where we can check out for new mattress, the one that came with the RV just inst comfortable. Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

My mattress was an off size specific to Thor so I went to Custom Comfort in Orange County and got a custom mattress. I think the price was like $750 but worth every cent.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #7

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #6059
RV Mattress

We just recently upgraded our mattress in our ACE. My neighbor had just purchased a new class C Motorhome and as part of the deal he requested a higher grade mattress in it. They love their Denver Mattress RV supreme pillow top . My wife and I went over and layed on their Mattress and loved how it felt!
I found the mattress at etrailer.com for $600.00 and free shipping. It is 11” thick and very comfortable.
W should have done this much sooner than we did!

Sleeping comfortable

Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida
Old 10-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
We replaced our 29.3 mattress with this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 first of the year. So far really happy with it.When the slide comes in it compresses it an inch or so but no problem.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #9

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
We replaced our 29.3 mattress with this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 first of the year. So far really happy with it.When the slide comes in it compresses it an inch or so but no problem.
Thank you, I'll check it out
Old 10-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We purchased a new mattress at Verlo. They make the mattresses there so we were able to go into the store and lay on the various mattresses to decide which one we liked and they make them to size. We went to other places and most didn’t sell an RV mattress and if they did they didn’t have one to lay on to try out. Also, Verlo has what they refer to as a lifetime comfort warranty. You can take your mattress in and they will adjust it by addy or removing springs. Of course, if you are not close to Saint Louis area they might not work for you.

https://verlo.com/locations/missouri/st-charles/
Old 10-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
After a lot of research, we had a custom mattress made by Mattress Insider in Colorado. https://www.mattressinsider.com/
Had the mattress made to our dimensions (H, W & L) and due to its length, had a hinge incorporated so it folds up out of the way in order to retract the bedroom slide.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:03 PM   #12

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
After a lot of research, we had a custom mattress made by Mattress Insider in Colorado. https://www.mattressinsider.com/
Had the mattress made to our dimensions (H, W & L) and due to its length, had a hinge incorporated so it folds up out of the way in order to retract the bedroom slide.
Hiya LandKO, would you mind adding some details about your choice. How thick, did you get different foam layers, and the cover choice? My back is very unhappy. Thx
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #13

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We added a 3" Sleep on Latex topper to our mattress and it has worked out very well. DW has gone through a couple iterations for our bed at home and ended up with the Sleep on Latex so we got one for the RV. They custom cut a mattress topper for the RV mattress as they aren't standard bed sizes. I think it cost about $15 extra plus they sent us the cut off section that she has used to make a couple of pillows. They also make foundation mattresses, which we found we didn't need for the RV. At home we have a 9" mattress and a 3" topper. The toppers come in 1, 2 and 3 inch thicknesses.

https://sleeponlatex.com/?gclid=Cj0K...EaAhJ2EALw_wcB

We used a foam topper from Costco for a few years, but she was finding it too be too hard and didn't like the smell from off-gassing. The Sleep on Latex doesn't have those issues.
Thanks for including the link! Looks like a nice product.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #14

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Hiya LandKO, would you mind adding some details about your choice. How thick, did you get different foam layers, and the cover choice? My back is very unhappy. Thx
We bought the "luxury gel foam" for our old MH 5-6 years ago. It was a very comfortable mattress. Unfortunately, we let it go when we sold the MH. :/ https://www.mattressinsider.com/luxu...mory-foam.html
Old 10-31-2018, 03:07 PM   #15

THOR #12827
Quote:

The mattress we ordered is based on this one https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-l...-mattress.html
We went the custom mattress route for several reasons.
1. We needed a longer mattress (80") because we are both over 6 ft tall
2. Because of the bedroom slide, we needed a way to have the longer mattress stowed when the slide was retracted.
3. While the original mattress was labeled as 60" wide, it was not. The actual dimension of the bed platform, between the built in side cabinets was 59". The Tops of the side cabinets extended over the mattress by another inch on each side. Vertical height from the platform to the underside of the overhanging cabinet tops was 8".

Our customization requirements ended up being the following.
The mattress size became 59" x 80" x 8" thick. We had a hinge installed, 8" from the foot to allow it to be folded up when the slide was retracted. I added a fold down extension to the foot of the bed platform to support the extended mattress.
We radiused the corners at the foot to allow easier passage.

We originally wanted to go with a 10" thick mattress, but because of the cabinet top overhang, we stayed with the 8" thickness (going with the thicker mattress would have required additional modifications that we were not willing to do.)

This is how it turned out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2366 1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	13754Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2367 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	13755
Old 10-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #16

THOR #6582
Quote:
The mattress we ordered is based on this one https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-l...-mattress.html
We went the custom mattress route for several reasons.
1. We needed a longer mattress (80") because we are both over 6 ft tall
2. Because of the bedroom slide, we needed a way to have the longer mattress stowed when the slide was retracted.
3. While the original mattress was labeled as 60" wide, it was not. The actual dimension of the bed platform, between the built in side cabinets was 59". The Tops of the side cabinets extended over the mattress by another inch on each side. Vertical height from the platform to the underside of the overhanging cabinet tops was 8".

Our customization requirements ended up being the following.
The mattress size became 59" x 80" x 8" thick. We had a hinge installed, 8" from the foot to allow it to be folded up when the slide was retracted. I added a fold down extension to the foot of the bed platform to support the extended mattress.
We radiused the corners at the foot to allow easier passage.

We originally wanted to go with a 10" thick mattress, but because of the cabinet top overhang, we stayed with the 8" thickness (going with the thicker mattress would have required additional modifications that we were not willing to do.)

This is how it turned out.
Attachment 13754Attachment 13755
Wow, great idea. It worked out well. What type and density of foam did you chose?
Old 10-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #17

THOR #12827
Quote:
Wow, great idea. It worked out well. What type and density of foam did you chose?

·2" of Natural Latex Foam
·6" of 1.8 LB Plant Based High Density Foam
·Pass CFR1633 (passes the federal flammability guidelines)
·Organic Cotton Cover (zippered and removable )
Old 10-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #18

THOR #6582
Quote:

·2" of Natural Latex Foam
·6" of 1.8 LB Plant Based High Density Foam
·
Thank you, that's a big help. I've read some but didn't find any real guidance. The dual layer makes sense.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #19

Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
THOR #12124
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad523 View Post
We put a memory foam top on our 29.1, we now have a Challenger did the same. Works for us, very comfortable.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #20

State: Ontario
THOR #9188
Mattress topper

I had back issues, and did not want to jump into a new mattress, so I bought a 4 in mattress topper from Amazon Zinus brand $71. Even if you try it for a few months then go to a full mattress, at that price its no big deal.

Made a terrific difference. Highly recommend it.