Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2018, 10:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #10528
Just bought a 2018 Axis 24.1

We've been looking at RVs for a year.. We've been a bouncing ball between a Trailer or a Motorhome. That is, until we went to an RV show in Pleasanton, California and fell in love. So here we are; now owners of an Axis 24.1 that we haven't even picked up yet. All you other Axis owners out there; educate me on what i should closely inspect when i go to pick up the RV on the 25th of Jan.?

Old 01-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

All you need to do is download and read this:
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L

Thank Ed Felker for putting that together.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #3

THOR #10528
Thanks very much! That is quite a manual. We've much to learn.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BlindMice View Post
Thanks very much! That is quite a manual. We've much to learn.
And there will be a test! I guarantee that your RV will “test” you. Have fun. It is a great unit. I have put 45,000 miles on a Vegas and an an Axis and still love my Axis. Just returned from the Tampa RV show and did not see one I would trade it for.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:06 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Save yourself some hassle. As soon as you can put some water in it, and run the water pump till the tank is dry. The take out the filter just in front of the pump and remove the plastic chips left from drilling the tank.

And enjoy the heck out of it, we do......
Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #6

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Congrats.

Once you dial in the suspension, you will LOVE driving it.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Welcome to our Madhouse, and congratulations on your new rig!

"Let the good times roll!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:29 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome! Like Oneilkeys, I spent a day at the huge Tampa show and saw nothing I would consider trading our Vegas for.

Happy trails!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:44 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Congratulations on the new coach and welcome to the Forums...there are a lot of people on here willing to provide help and advice. Feel free to ask.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:11 AM   #10

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
2BlindMice,

Welcome to the Forum. Go to Axis/Vegas Mods 1,2,3 Go and see what specific Mods have been done to these units over the past 4 model years. And keep Ed's Manual handy.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:20 AM   #11

THOR #10528
Question Extended Service and Warranty Plans on the Axis 24.1

I am sure this group has discussed this topic before ad nauseam, so i will apologize in advance, but... we are trying to prepare ourselves for the sales push on purchasing an extended service or warranty plan from the dealer where we are picking up the RV. (We've had to delay the pickup from the 25th to the 30th as we live up near Truckee, CA off of Highway 80 and the weather is predicted to be bloody awful. I don't even want to think about putting snow chains on an RV.)

I digress. Anyway, as I am sure you are all aware, there are service plans for tires, as well as the entire coach and the engine. I know I don't need to make a decision right away (after all it comes with a warranty), but what I feel strongly about is that anything the dealer offers me will be over priced. I have read blog after blog re: which company is best; should you buy it; what the difference is between service VS warranty. (Not sure if you allow company names to be discussed on the forum.)

Can I be so bold as to ask how the reliability has been on the Thor Axis products/Ford engine (E-450)?
Old 01-23-2018, 04:34 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
I am sure this group has discussed this topic before ad nauseam, so i will apologize in advance, but... we are trying to prepare ourselves for the sales push on purchasing an extended service or warranty plan from the dealer where we are picking up the RV. (We've had to delay the pickup from the 25th to the 30th as we live up near Truckee, CA off of Highway 80 and the weather is predicted to be bloody awful. I don't even want to think about putting snow chains on an RV.)

I digress. Anyway, as I am sure you are all aware, there are service plans for tires, as well as the entire coach and the engine. I know I don't need to make a decision right away (after all it comes with a warranty), but what I feel strongly about is that anything the dealer offers me will be over priced. I have read blog after blog re: which company is best; should you buy it; what the difference is between service VS warranty. (Not sure if you allow company names to be discussed on the forum.)

Can I be so bold as to ask how the reliability has been on the Thor Axis products/Ford engine (E-450)?
My personal opinion is that purchasing a service contract for a new motor home is a waste of money. My recommendation would be to take the cost of the service plan, invest it, and pay your own repairs if you ever have any. Unless you just have miserable luck, you will come out well ahead in the long run.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:17 AM   #13

Model: Axis RUV 24.1
THOR #9288
Welcome to the Forum and congrats are due on your purchase. We purchased ours on 11/4/17 and drove it home around 137 miles. Handled and drove very well. It was very comfortable to drive. looking out of the front window traveling south on the New York Thruway and being things we never saw before or even knew was on the other side of the guard rail was awesome! What a fantastic view.
Well now we are into Jan 2018 and have not put a mile on the Axis 24.1 after we got it home. As our luck runs illness after a return from DisneyWorld, the holidays elderly in law health issue the snow and arctic freeze we had her has put a clamp on the get a way time. So now we are looking towards March for our first real outing.
So my advice is to park it at home or at least close by and do a few over nighters in it at home and learn as well as work everything and do get use to the cameras. The hardest thing I found was backing up into a space , a rv site or even your drive way and it all has to do with the mirrors and cameras. Everything else can be followed by Bob manual. Down load and copy the manual and keep it in the Axis as a reference too / book. Do make use of the check lists. It's a learning tool.
This site or forum has given me much assistance wading through many issues I have had no knowledge of. Now I do but at this point I am attempting to learn about the generator, how to monthly use it and maintain it and how to run it on at least a half load. I'm sure I will once again partake in the advice of our forum members before I have it down pat!
Use it, Learn it, love it and have fun with it. Drive safe and careful and it will be safe to you. Above everything have fun ..no have a freaked blast and enjoy every second on your new adventure called "Our Axis"! K9piper
Old 01-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #14

State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
2BlindMice, welcome! Like several other posters, I love my Vegas, also went to the Tampa show but I did find something else I want to buy: another Vegas.

The advise on extended warranty plans is right on. Put the money into BitCoin, er, maybe not. But some other investment. You won't regret it.

You'll find good advise here and lot's of help. And like all of the others on this forum, pay it forward.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:21 AM   #15

THOR #10528
What do you mean when you say "once you dial in the suspension..."? Is there something to adjust?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:50 AM   #16

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
THOR #2025
Quote:
What do you mean when you say "once you dial in the suspension..."? Is there something to adjust?
We mean fine tuning the rig's ride for better comfort and better stability. Items such as sumo springs, upgraded sway bars, safety steering, shocks, etc. Some of these upgrades should be considered after you take a few trips. Get to know how your rig feels under all conditions first.

There are many in this community that don't have all these upgrades and they are still happy.

A wheel alignment is a must. Dealer should pay for this.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:52 AM   #17

THOR #10354
Welcome new RV'ers.

Check that the radio front right (passenger side) speaker works properly (they had a wiring error in the 2017 models).

Check the air pressure in all of the tires before driving it away (3 of my rear tires were underinflated by 30 lbs)

Check to make sure the tire valves for the rear tires are accessible and mounted firmly (mine were flopping around during my 2000 mile journey)

Check the house batteries for acid leaks (my batteries had gone bad while sitting on the lot for a year because they were left uncharged and had sulfated. Charging them only resulted in fuming and leaking acid. Costco carries them)

Check your 12V socket under the radio for power. (Mine had a fuse #72 blown in the engine compartment.

Make sure you have multiple remote controls for the TVs you have. I had only one for 3 TVs. Available through Ebay for less than $10 each.

Make sure they explain how to adjust the endpoints of the roller shade for the front window (The online explanation is terrible)

Be ready with basic tools and read all of the manuals. I do not know how no-handy people ever keep up an RV without living within 10 miles of an RV repair center.

Have fun! Once the issues are resolved, you can go anywhere with most of the conveniences of home.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:00 AM   #18

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I agree with Locknut (#12 above). You can find folks who came out ahead with an extended warranty, but remember those warranty companies make a profit, even after the selling dealer gets about half of the price as a commission. Do the math! Between the deductibles and the exclusions, most folks will never have claims exceed premiums.

There are exceptions, and you may hear examples. Over decades of RV ownership with several brands, I have found the covered components, such as furnace, A/C, refrig, microwave, water heater, engine and drive train, etc all pretty reliable.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:25 AM   #19

THOR #10354
I also agree with #12 above.
The "finance manager" showed me several tires that had exploded as examples of why I needed a $6500 policy. These tires were right by my seating position in his office. That's a pretty good strategy for selling insurance. I was taken in but realized that there was a month to decide to cancel the policy. I had a long 2000 mile trip ahead of me and decided it would be nice to have some insurance as I was traveling along ways in the next few days. I have to give Camping World a positive shout out about their cancellation policy.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:43 AM   #20

State: Oregon
THOR #6934
As a rule, an extended warranty is about the worst deal you can make. Ymmv.