Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
After reading JamieGeeks posts on AC and quickly approaching the end of our 1 year warranty, I was concerned about the AC not cooling as much as it should. So, took a refrigerator thermometer and stuck in the outflow of air from our 15K unit...

On a 95 degree day we were reading 53 degree air coming from the AC unit. The temp in the coach was about 82. Of course, 95 was the ambient temp outside. I hate to think what the temp would have been in the coach with direct sunshine on the west facing wall.. Its not like the coaches have six inches of insulation on the sides or top....

Knowing that the temp coming from the unit was 53 degrees made me feel MUCH better...
Not necessarily a great reason to feel better in my opinion.

From 82 to 53 F is a difference of 29 degrees F delta T, which could mean your air flow is restricted somehow unless you were running fan on low -- which I doubt you were doing if motorhome was that warm. Maybe a dirty air filter or something simple to check can be restricting air flow.

Anyway, if large temperature difference is caused by inadequate air circulation, then the total air conditioner's capacity will be lower, leaving your MH warmer than it could be otherwise.

Sorry for thread drift. Back to topic.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
V

My 30.1 came with a 15k unit. I installed a second unit in place of the fantastic fan in the bedroom, ran a dedicated wire through the same channel as the fan down to the sewer/water compartment. If needed I plug it seperatley into the 20 amp receptacle in the pedestal. A single AC unit 15 or 13.5 only requires a 20 amp receptacle. Total cost for me doing the work $700. Hardest part was getting the thing on the roof. I pulled it up the ladder with a rope by myself.
Try searching, there's several threads on installing a second AC unit. You could always hire a local licensed electrician to run the wire for you. Installing the unit is super easy. Hardest part is getting the existing fan off and getting the decor sealant off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	5480  
Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 AM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
My 30.1 came with a 15k unit. I installed a second unit in place of the fantastic fan in the bedroom, ran a dedicated wire through the same channel as the fan down to the sewer/water compartment. If needed I plug it seperatley into the 20 amp receptacle in the pedestal. A single AC unit 15 or 13.5 only requires a 20 amp receptacle. Total cost for me doing the work $700. Hardest part was getting the thing on the roof. I pulled it up the ladder with a rope by myself.
Try searching, there's several threads on installing a second AC unit. You could always hire a local licensed electrician to run the wire for you. Installing the unit is super easy. Hardest part is getting the existing fan off and getting the decor sealant off.
This would be my solution if I needed to install a second AC.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:44 AM   #24

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
That would be my solution as well! Simple and it works!

The problem is the dealers, Thor sends what the dealer orders. Dealers in places like Texas and Arizona need to go spend a couple of days in a coach with one AC in the middle of July, if they did that once they would start ordering dual AC like they should in the first place. I was talking to a salesman where I bought our coach in Texas, he said if there is an option to get dual AC they order them, it's crazy not to!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #25

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Install a second unit

That is what we did immediately on our 2015 30.2. We had a 29 footer before and no way could that keep cool, so we knew going longer would only make things worse. We did not want the expense of upgrading service panel and generator, so we can only run the main unit with the generator, but we can run both with onshore power. We carry a 50A to 30A & 20A splitter to run them both from a 50 amp, or can use a 30A and the 110 receptacle on the electric post. That second unit has been a lifesaver.

It sounds like you might have purchased a unit ordered for rental, but never put in service, instead of the regular model, thus the missing upgrades.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:19 AM   #26

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
That is what we did immediately on our 2015 30.2. We had a 29 footer before and no way could that keep cool, so we knew going longer would only make things worse. We did not want the expense of upgrading service panel and generator, so we can only run the main unit with the generator, but we can run both with onshore power. We carry a 50A to 30A & 20A splitter to run them both from a 50 amp, or can use a 30A and the 110 receptacle on the electric post. That second unit has been a lifesaver.

It sounds like you might have purchased a unit ordered for rental, but never put in service, instead of the regular model, thus the missing upgrades.
Yes. If I get to a campground with a weak 20 amp receptacle I can plug my 30 amp into a 50 amp adapter and the second AC into the 30 amp adapter.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 AM   #27

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Our 2013 was 33 ft and one a/c kept it cool in 100 degree weather but our 2017 that's 26 ft it struggles even in the lower 90s. Our last had a Dometic and this is a Coleman so my first thought was Coleman isn't up to par with a Dometic. The newer AC units are throwaway units so if one doesn't perform well they just swap it out for another... pretty much luck of the draw! Our 26B has a nice big window in the back that would host a really nice window A/C at some point in the future and the rear bumper makes for an ideal support system as well. Worked on slide in truck campers so I'm confident it will work in my MH. A bit hillbilly but cost effective!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:41 AM   #28
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
This past weekend was first time our Hurricane was used in the Florida summer sun - site with no shade - and temps in high 90's in Jax...

With both AC's (rear going through ducting - front dumping directly into main living area), the MH stayed very comfortable in the 70's... Without the second - it certainly would have been hotter... one unit would cycle off occasionally - but both were running together quite a bit.

With most previous trips being Florida in winter or Michigan in summer - the second AC hadn't been a big deal... We used them more to have the noise further from us - running rear AC during day and front AC at night.

This time it earned its keep... and our 4lb Yorkie was very appreciative - as it keep her cool and comfy while we were at the beach!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #29

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Our 2013 was 33 ft and one a/c kept it cool in 100 degree weather but our 2017 that's 26 ft it struggles even in the lower 90s. Our last had a Dometic and this is a Coleman so my first thought was Coleman isn't up to par with a Dometic. The newer AC units are throwaway units so if one doesn't perform well they just swap it out for another... pretty much luck of the draw! Our 26B has a nice big window in the back that would host a really nice window A/C at some point in the future and the rear bumper makes for an ideal support system as well. Worked on slide in truck campers so I'm confident it will work in my MH. A bit hillbilly but cost effective!
I believe they did change the type of freon used in the newer units and as we all know when the government gets involved the newer stuff is never as good as the old.
I have an old Park Model at the farm with one unit in it and it will freeze you out on the hottest day.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:02 AM   #30

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
This past weekend was first time our Hurricane was used in the Florida summer sun - site with no shade - and temps in high 90's in Jax...

With both AC's (rear going through ducting - front dumping directly into main living area), the MH stayed very comfortable in the 70's... Without the second - it certainly would have been hotter... one unit would cycle off occasionally - but both were running together quite a bit.

With most previous trips being Florida in winter or Michigan in summer - the second AC hadn't been a big deal... We used them more to have the noise further from us - running rear AC during day and front AC at night.

This time it earned its keep... and our 4lb Yorkie was very appreciative - as it keep her cool and comfy while we were at the beach!
We did the same down in Cudjoe Key this past January. My wife likes it cold!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #31

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Arizona
THOR #8050
Quote:
Wow! Thanks for the information. I feel a little better about the prospect of tackling it myself. My brother and I have a home handyman service and he's been trying to convince me that we could do this without a problem. But I am looking a this new vehicle and reluctant to start tearing it apart. This sounds a little simpler than I had envisioned. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #32

THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post

You're exactly right. We went to the dealership yesterday afternoon and discussed the situation with the sales manager and service manager. It was intended for rental use...hence bare bones. On the bright side.. it is indeed a 2017. They are going to re-test the A/C again and call me this morning. Their first suggestion, if everything checks out OK, is to upgrade the A/C to 15k btu. I am good with that option, but am going to try to hold their feet to the fire to do this at no expense to me. I am using the Thor 2017 brochure as leverage because it states the larger unit as standard equipment. The awning and external TV were pointed out at time of purchase, as were the jacks, but the jacks were included in as a condition of the sale.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #33

THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I'm considering a portable unit and venting it through the bedroom overhead fan. Not ideal, but I am scheduled to leave on a 3 week trip early July and this may be my only option. Dealer says new install would take 4-5 days after equipment arrives and that's too late for me to depart on time.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #34

THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
A 2017 ACE 29.2 without factory levelers? From the ACE brochure for all models:
"Fully automatic hydraulic leveling jacks w/touch pad controls"

I have an ACE 27.2 with a single 15,000 BTU AC and it won't freeze you out in 95 degree heat but it will keep you under 80 in direct sunlight.

[Insert head scratching emoticon here]
Found out yesterday at the dealership that it was intended for use as a rental, hence the bare bones. Trying to make them swap the A/C unit up to 15k as the Thor brochure lists as standard equipment. They are re-testing the unit and calling me back this morning.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #35

THOR #3952
If the 13.5 checks out, just have them replace it with a 15k and put the 13.5 in the bedroom with its own cord.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #36

THOR #8050
Quote:
If the 13.5 checks out, just have them replace it with a 15k and put the 13.5 in the bedroom with its own cord.
That's a good idea! That way, the 13.5 becomes the secondary. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #37

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
An inexpensive alternative would be to build a swamp cooler for one of the overhead vents. They have been effective cooling units for ages!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:15 AM   #38

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
We took our 2017 29.4 ace to Florida earlier this month and experienced our first hot and humid weather in this RV. I was pretty disappointed with the AC performance the first day. That night we set the temp at 68, considerably cooler than what we run at home. By 3 am I finally heard the unit turn off. Next morning we kept the unit turned way down, even to the point of being a little too cool. We soon discovered that as the walls, furniture, floors and ceilings got cool, the space became a lot more comfortable.
We did keep the unit vents open in the daytime as to better cool the front, them. Closed them off at night to cool the bedroom better. We also kept most of the blinds closed, which helped a lot. After the first two days I felt much better about my purchase.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 AM   #39

THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
We took our 2017 29.4 ace to Florida earlier this month and experienced our first hot and humid weather in this RV. I was pretty disappointed with the AC performance the first day. That night we set the temp at 68, considerably cooler than what we run at home. By 3 am I finally heard the unit turn off. Next morning we kept the unit turned way down, even to the point of being a little too cool. We soon discovered that as the walls, furniture, floors and ceilings got cool, the space became a lot more comfortable.
We did keep the unit vents open in the daytime as to better cool the front, them. Closed them off at night to cool the bedroom better. We also kept most of the blinds closed, which helped a lot. After the first two days I felt much better about my purchase.
That's good to know. Ours never shut off the entire time we were there, and never got the RV below 82...even when the outside temp dropped to 63! We ended up opening the front window to let the cool air in!
Old 06-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #40

State: Illinois
THOR #4001
seems like r v dealers are there to sell r vs not fix them, at least in a timely fashion, thor vegas has spent more rime at the dealership than in a campground. 2016 vegas 24.1 rg1