Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Arizona
THOR #8050
Just bought a Thor

My wife and I just purchased a 2017 Thor A.C.E. 29.2 and traded off our 2000 Coachmen Mirada. Both are similar in size but the 17 year difference gives us a quantum leap forward. Surprisingly, the same motor and frames are used on both models, as is most of the other running gear. The Thor did not have levelers and are to be installed as part of the purchase. When we first looked at the unit, it was on a 114 degree day in full sun. It was like an oven inside and the salesman kicked on the A/C and we went to discuss other matters while it had a chance to cool down. After about a half hour we returned only to find the inside temp felt like it had actually in temp rather than cooled. He assured us they would check the A/C and would have it corrected when we came back to accept delivery.
The service dept called and told us they had replaced the entire unit and it was now working. We knew the levelers would require a few weeks for the parts, but they allowed us to take the unit for the weekend. When we arrived to make the trade, the A/C still didn't feel like it was blowing cold air but the service manager told us, when working to factory specs, the unit cools to a difference of 20 degrees from the intake air...and as the interior cools down, so will the temperature of the air coming out of the A/C. He encouraged us to try it out for the weekend, knowing it would be coming back for the levelers. We took it to a campsite in the mountains where the outside temp was 97...for the entire time we were there, the inside of the RV was hotter than the outside temp.
We returned it to the dealer Monday morning and he told us this is one of the complaints about Thor RV's. His suggestion was that I install a second unit to the tune of $3,300!
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and/or any suggestions or advice on how to proceed next. Thanks for any and all input

Old 06-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #2

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
That sounds crazy...but I could be wrong.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
A 2017 ACE 29.2 without factory levelers? From the ACE brochure for all models:
"Fully automatic hydraulic leveling jacks w/touch pad controls"

I have an ACE 27.2 with a single 15,000 BTU AC and it won't freeze you out in 95 degree heat but it will keep you under 80 in direct sunlight.

[Insert head scratching emoticon here]
Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I'm pretty skeptical of the recommended solution! Ours is only a 26 ft and class C - so quite a bit different - but we have a single 13,500BTU unit and I've got no complaints. Hottest weather for us has been upper 90s but still it cooled down in reasonable timeframe and stayed cool. I'd expect air conditioner technology to be unchanged in 17 years. Did your previous coach have a single unit that worked ok?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The 20 degree difference is correct: There is a lengthy thread here about "delta T":
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ture-1700.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #6

THOR #8050
Thanks Pete'sMH

Our old coachmen had dual units, but only allowed one to be running at a time. It cools far better than this one. The service manager was telling me that the upgrade would require running 50amp service to the RV and that was a large part of the cost....the 15k btu unit was $1,200. I'm a little spooked and have considered just using a portable A/C for about $500.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

THOR #8050
Thanks Tfryman

I know....I read the brochure with that as well. It also states that the awning is electric, ours is a manual. It mentioned an outside TV....not on ours. We got a smokin' price on it, but I'm beginning to think there's something fishy in the water. The dealer (La Mesa RV) is very reputable in the area. The paperwork all says it's a 2017 but I'm wondering if it is an older model.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
A 2017 ACE 29.2 without factory levelers? From the ACE brochure for all models:
"Fully automatic hydraulic leveling jacks w/touch pad controls"

I have an ACE 27.2 with a single 15,000 BTU AC and it won't freeze you out in 95 degree heat but it will keep you under 80 in direct sunlight.

[Insert head scratching emoticon here]
Yeah, that caught my attention too. I did not know it was possible to get one w/o the jacks. I never saw that option when we ordered ours. They should be standard.

The AC unit has a couple ways to use it. If you close the vents on the AC unit itself that will direct the AC thru the ducts. If you open them you will get more cool air up front where the AC unit is. If you are not using the bedroom, try opening the vents. It seems like it dumps more cool air up front that way.

It will have to run a while. But it should start feeling better relatively soon.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #9

THOR #8050
Thanks JamieGeek

Lots of great information there. It pains me to see that the 15-20 degree split is correct.....just doesn't make sense in my opinion. This unit is also only 13,500btu and the Coachmen had two 15k's. $3,300 is a bit much to swallow but looks like we may have to bite the bullet here. Thanks again for the information.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKANSAN View Post
I know....I read the brochure with that as well. It also states that the awning is electric, ours is a manual. It mentioned an outside TV....not on ours. We got a smokin' price on it, but I'm beginning to think there's something fishy in the water. The dealer (La Mesa RV) is very reputable in the area. The paperwork all says it's a 2017 but I'm wondering if it is an older model.
Yep, somethings fishy in Denmark, er, La Mesa here. First of all there is no 29.2 2017 ACE by the brochure. Second, they all have 32" exterior TVs and leveling jacks standard.

I would grab the VIN and get on the horn to Thor immediately; sooner if you have already signed the deal.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Lots of great information there. It pains me to see that the 15-20 degree split is correct.....just doesn't make sense in my opinion. This unit is also only 13,500btu and the Coachmen had two 15k's. $3,300 is a bit much to swallow but looks like we may have to bite the bullet here. Thanks again for the information.
What are you really buying? All ACEs come with the 15,000 BTU standard.

...... and electric awning....
Old 06-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The 20 degree difference is correct: There is a lengthy thread here about "delta T":
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ture-1700.html
After reading JamieGeeks posts on AC and quickly approaching the end of our 1 year warranty, I was concerned about the AC not cooling as much as it should. So, took a refrigerator thermometer and stuck in the outflow of air from our 15K unit...

On a 95 degree day we were reading 53 degree air coming from the AC unit. The temp in the coach was about 82. Of course, 95 was the ambient temp outside. I hate to think what the temp would have been in the coach with direct sunshine on the west facing wall.. Its not like the coaches have six inches of insulation on the sides or top....

Knowing that the temp coming from the unit was 53 degrees made me feel MUCH better...
Old 06-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
You buy a new AC for about $600-700 and run a separate circuit for power, maybe $200 for that. $3300, sounds like some gouging going on. Go to Amazon or any Rv supplier and you can see for yoursel what a new AC unit costs.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #14

THOR #8050
Thanks SuperD. I am considering doing that, but have been told by the service manager that I would need to upgrade the service panel to 50amps. I'm guessing the A/C unit install wouldn't be a huge dwal, but I am not sure about the electrical upgrade. The difference in price is coaxing me to take a quick course though.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Thanks SuperD. I am considering doing that, but have been told by the service manager that I would need to upgrade the service panel to 50amps. I'm guessing the A/C unit install wouldn't be a huge dwal, but I am not sure about the electrical upgrade. The difference in price is coaxing me to take a quick course though.
You do not have to upgrade to 50 amp, what you end up with is two 30 amp plugs. Downside is when running generator you can only run one AC. Many people have wired in a second 30 amp plug and it works just fine. If the dealer is wanting to change your coach to 50 amp I can understand the cost but without also buying a bigger generator you can still only run one AC unless you are plugged in at a campground. Tough decision. Maybe changing your AC to a 15,000 btu unit would be enough!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The dealer is supposed to be responsible enough to wire the coach correctly for two A.C drawing 14 amps each. If both start at the same time, you will pop any 30 amp circuit breaker. If there are both power savers and nothing else is on in the coach the 30 amp circuit breaker will hold for about one hour before it trips. There is no power center for two 30 amp circuit breakers. The dealers choice is one 30 power center or one 50 amp power center. To rewire for two A/C requires new power cord, ATS, and power center and circuit breakers (new 5,500 watt genset is optional) takes about 6 hours if the tech has done it before. Labor is usually billed at $100 to 135 per hour. So I would say $2,500 to $3,000 is average. You can rewire your coach how ever you want, but a dealer must rewire to a lawyer's standards (RVIA).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #17

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #6335
We purchased from the Phoenix La Mesa and they had some Ace rv s that didn't have electric awnings but they had been rental units. I agree about getting the vin and checking it out.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #18

THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The dealer is supposed to be responsible enough to wire the coach correctly for two A.C drawing 14 amps each. If both start at the same time, you will pop any 30 amp circuit breaker. If there are both power savers and nothing else is on in the coach the 30 amp circuit breaker will hold for about one hour before it trips. There is no power center for two 30 amp circuit breakers. The dealers choice is one 30 power center or one 50 amp power center. To rewire for two A/C requires new power cord, ATS, and power center and circuit breakers (new 5,500 watt genset is optional) takes about 6 hours if the tech has done it before. Labor is usually billed at $100 to 135 per hour. So I would say $2,500 to $3,000 is average. You can rewire your coach how ever you want, but a dealer must rewire to a lawyer's standards (RVIA).
Thanks for that information. The two things in life that I hate the most are SNAKES and ELECTRICITY! The last thing I want are electrical issues while on the road. By the way, these guys bill at $150/hr., so the math comes close to the $3,300.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #19

THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cehouck View Post
We purchased from the Phoenix La Mesa and they had some Ace rv s that didn't have electric awnings but they had been rental units. I agree about getting the vin and checking it out.
How was your dealing with them? We bought the unit from the show at the Cardinal's Stadium a couple weeks ago. So far, we have had it 2 days, in the shop the rest of the time. I am headed to the dealership again today and calling Thor first thing tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #20

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #6335
We bought from a show there in January dealing with hasn't been bad we took it in May 2 for warranty items they had it for about 3 weeks and they had to order stuff from Thor we will be taking it back in July after our trip to finish up the warranty stuff. The only thing is it can take awhile to get into the service department.