Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2022, 02:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #27426
Just Bought a Thor Chateau 22B ...

.. and I am getting better at spelling "Chateau" correctly!

My wife and I, with a lot of help from her brother, had been fixing up an older motorhome. But I decided that we should be using an RV instead of working on one, so I started looking for something in better shape. I found a used RV near us that was just a few years old. We looked at it and liked it, but before making an offer, I went online to see what else was available in the same price range.

I found a new 2022 Thor Chateau listed by a local dealer for just a few thousand more than the used one. And the dealer's asking price was much lower than any other dealer in the country was asking for the same year and model.

So, while feeling a bit suspicious, I went with my wife to the dealer. A salesperson took us on a golf cart ride to the RV. As we drove up, I saw a "Sold" sign on the side of it and realized that my suspicions had been confirmed. It was a "bait and switch" scam! The low price had been advertised just to get me to come to the dealer's lot. Then, the salesperson explained that someone had tried to purchase it, but their loan wasn't approved. So, we put down a deposit and picked it up a few days later.

We haven't done an overnight trip in it yet, but I did venture out to our local model rocket club launch on Saturday. The afternoon rainfall, which is typical for Central Florida in Summer, came a bit early and I got to see how well the motor home navigates driving over a soggy field. It didn't even slow down going through a muddy ditch (though I did bring home a good chuck of mud on the trailer hitch and jack stand).

Old 08-09-2022, 02:43 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome and congrats! You will find that checklists can be a lifesaver.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:59 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
That is exactly how we bought our new RV

Some people just assume you have to buy used to get a good RV. I could not believe that RVs that we looking to buy from owners cost more than brand new and they quite had done things we didn't like.

When we saw a brand new unit and deal we wanted, we paid deposited after confirming from looking at 100 plus pictures. Flew down to Florida and RV was exact same as pictures and they played no games with price so we bought. That was 4 years ago.

Congrats and good call to buy new and not try to rebuild something. Love your picture. BTW; Chatoue is easy spell
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:47 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
Congratulations and happy travels! My wife and I just purchased a new 2022 Four Winds (easier to spell than Chateau) 22E. So very similar. Be careful of the razor sharp chrome wheel covers when trying to take the valve stem caps off. They sliced me pretty good. You will probably exercise your air conditioner a lot more than we do on the Pacific Coast.

If you get a chance, take a look at my post https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ing-31822.html

Your unit might have the exact same "basement" storage as mine so I would be interested in your response. It might not be the same since you have a slide out and the storage area is located under our bed which isn't a slide out.

Best of luck!
Old 08-09-2022, 04:12 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Congratulations
Old 08-09-2022, 05:47 AM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Congratulations on the purchase and happy travels
Old 08-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #7

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Congrats and welcome to the forum
Old 08-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #8

Model: Serrano 31X
State: Alabama
THOR #26616
Congratulations. We are also newbies. Our first overnight trip was 3 miles from home and our first road trip is coming up on August 31.
Hope you enjoy as much as we have so far (a couple of weekends) and hope to in the future.
As long as I'm here it doesn't really matter where here is.
Gma7673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:14 PM   #9

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Congratulation on the new coach adn welcome to the forum! Nice that you were able to make a deal that satisfied you.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:47 AM   #10

THOR #27426
I just received the one hundredth package of things I have ordered for the new RV. It is this cute dust brush with a telescoping handle to turn it into a broom.

Speaking of cute ... My nephew and his wife just had a baby and all of their friends got together to have a "shower" where gifts of things for the new baby were provided.

Hmmm ... An "RV shower." Wait. I know ... our RV has a shower, but I'm talking about the other kind of shower. I'll be back! Right now I need to set up a gift registry ....