Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 11:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 4000
State: Tennessee
THOR #13587
New to Thor, and to RVing as well

Hi there- I'm Vinnie and I just bought my very first RV! I don't do anything small, and I got the Aria 4000. Actually, we're moving from California to Tennessee, and need to house my family of four for a while until some things settle and I can look for the real house, at which I'll park the rig between vacations.

In the meantime, I'm trying to learn how everything works while moving into it and packing up our house. We'll be technically full-timing it in about 2 weeks. Hope to find some good information here, useful tips, and lower my stress level a little bit!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:52 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Hi, and welcome. We have owned a 3901 for a little over a year now. If I can be of any help, don't hesitate.
Mike
Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome! Here's some suggestions to make your travels easier:

-Keep Thor's customer service number handy, as well as the service department of the dealer where you purchased. Lean on them.
-Start making lists, things to do when you set up, things to do when you prepare to leave.
-Delegate some tasks to every family member.
-Bring your questions here to the forum. Many experienced and helpful folks here.
-Watch the Robin Williams movie "RV" with your family, and learn some things to NOT do!
Old 10-30-2018, 01:10 AM   #5

THOR #13587
I have one immediate newbie question- On the trip home, I noticed the house batteries became somewhat discharged (only to like 11 volts or so), and there was an error on the control screen about not getting any reading from the Transfer Switch. So I'm guessing that even though I was driving it with the House Batteries engaged (and a couple miscellaneous exterior lights on that I had no idea how to control), that nothing was charging the house batteries.

Is there an easy "guide" for the varying modes or states of transit/rest/etc? Like, when I'm driving, but don't want the refrigerator to heat up, do I need to have the generator on, or set to whatever the automatic (AGS) function is? Right now, while loading up, I simply have it plugged into my residential 15A service, and that seems to keep the fridge cold and the clock on the microwave from resetting, even if I turn the house battery off at the front door.

I'm still learning the whole thing, but the "tour" I got from the sales joint was short and less than informative. I went through every book and manual that came with it, and while I can learn from those what each individual component does, there's absolutely nothing that describes how everything interoperates, not even for the control panel software! So yes, thank you for the assistance, and I hope to be less needy in the near future.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:45 AM   #6

THOR #9660
I'm not sure about the error message about the transfer switch, I've never seen that one. Your inverter should automatically keep the fridge running, along with all the other AC loads in the coach with the exceptions of the fireplace, stove top, dryer and air conditioners. I never shut of the batteries using the use/store switch. If you keep the coach plugged in to shore power (even 15 amp), the inverter/charger will keep the batteries charged. However, you will be limited as to other things you could run. Like the air conditioners. Your batteries should show that they are charging while driving (from the alternator) if they are not disconnected.
The AGS (automatic generator start) would be used when dry camping and can be set to charge the batteries, or meet the needs of power consumption to run the air conditioners based on your thermostat settings. You can program it to charge the batteries fully before quiet hours also.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:39 AM   #7

THOR #13587
Thank you! I'll check into all that and maybe post a few pics of the control panel for clarification.

I like your rig name- any tips for keeping a stock of bottles in the rig?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wow!
You sure are "Diving right in"!
Congratulations, and the best of luck to you and your family during the move!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome, It will take you a while to figure out all of the in's and out's of the new RV.

You found the right place to ask question. This site has helped me so much with my RV.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:49 PM   #10

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieSmith View Post
Thank you! I'll check into all that and maybe post a few pics of the control panel for clarification.

We put a wine rack in the small cabinet over the sink. It only holds 6 bottles, but they lay horizontally and don't rattle around. Glasses are in the cabinet over the TV and fireplace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180301_130450.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	13731  
Old 10-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #11

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: California
THOR #12941
Wine Storage

Quote:

I don't know if this will help, but I use the cardboard inserts from the boxes I receive wine shipments in, to store wine while I'm in my coach. I put have one on the bottom and one on top and layer them in the bottom of my closet. I can easily store more than a case and they are easily retrieved. I use a padded glass case in an upper cabinet for 12 Reidel wine glasses.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #12

THOR #13535
Mike can you tell me where you bought those glass holders? I like the way they clamp the stem.
Thanks.
Kevin
Old 10-30-2018, 08:00 PM   #13

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccowboy View Post
Mike can you tell me where you bought those glass holders? I like the way they clamp the stem.
Thanks.
Kevin
Hi Kevin,
Vicki found them online, from Stonewolves. Came out of Australia. Couldn't fine exactly what we wanted anywhere else.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #14

THOR #13535
Thanks, Mike. Sent the picture to my wife and it's exactly what she had in mind.
Kevin
Old 10-31-2018, 04:24 AM   #15

THOR #13587
Those are all fantastic ideas, thank you!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #16

State: Arizona
THOR #11568
Aria 3901 AGS

I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue, but I turned the AGS (auto gen start) function on while plugged into an outside 15 amp circuit and was not able to watch things in the fridge. When I went to check, everything was dead, but I was able to start the coach and get everything working again. I think it must be a safety so that the generator does not start if you were in an enclosed place. I think you only set the AGS if you are not on a power source.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #17

THOR #9660
Ags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo53AZ View Post
I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue, but I turned the AGS (auto gen start) function on while plugged into an outside 15 amp circuit and was not able to watch things in the fridge. When I went to check, everything was dead, but I was able to start the coach and get everything working again. I think it must be a safety so that the generator does not start if you were in an enclosed place. I think you only set the AGS if you are not on a power source.
If I recall correctly, AGS is disabled when hooked up to shore power.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #18

Model: Venetian A40
THOR #12058
Quote:
Hi there- I'm Vinnie and I just bought my very first RV! I don't do anything small, and I got the Aria 4000. Actually, we're moving from California to Tennessee, and need to house my family of four for a while until some things settle and I can look for the real house, at which I'll park the rig between vacations.

In the meantime, I'm trying to learn how everything works while moving into it and packing up our house. We'll be technically full-timing it in about 2 weeks. Hope to find some good information here, useful tips, and lower my stress level a little bit!
Congrats! Welcome back to America once you leave Commiefornia. You aren't the only one fulltime rving to better your family's quality of life even if it is temporary. Best of luck!
Old 11-11-2018, 01:36 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome! Here's some suggestions to make your
-Watch the Robin Williams movie "RV" with your family, and learn some things to NOT do!
Never heard of that movie, but Robin Williams and that title sounds like a must watch on our next trip that starts tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
Welcome. I made sure to get to know the service department folks on a first name basis. I also make it a point to discreetly leave a tip and my rig gets attention usually right away.