Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
But when you DO finally succumb to the urges: we'll need to see lots of pictures of your improvements!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1592069169
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Futile.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	24232  

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #18970
Under sink storage bin #1 complete

I finished the first under sink storage bin on the CNC today. The wood is 3/4" MDF that I had laying around. I used finger joints to make the bin REALLY strong and these are easy to do with a CNC. The fit turned out absolutely perfect and will help me make the most of this huge storage area beneath the sink. You can see in the pictures, I also have a trash bin in there directly beneath the sink.

I designed this bin to stack two high in this space. I only made one because I ran out of wood and now that I'm seeing it in place, I may just keep only one in there. The flooring in this area is extremely flimsy and I'll probably break it and then I'll need to put in something stronger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2980.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	24246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2981.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	24247  

Old 06-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
. Awesome!
Old 06-14-2020, 11:28 PM   #24

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Good job.

Paul
Old 06-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #25

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewsome View Post
Hello everyone. Last Friday I took delivery of my first RV. It's 2019 Thor Ace 30.3. It has 16,000 miles on it but seems to be in decent condition. I've spent the last weeks preparing the RV for a trip. I had a pretty long list of things I *thought* I really needed, like dishes, silverware, towels and soap. Now that I actually have the RV, the list has grown quite a bit.

It's actually pretty astounding, how many things are on the list. I even got a little portable BBQ that I can connect to the camp side LP connection. The only real modification I've made is to install an inverter so I can get 110 power strictly on battery, which worked out pretty nicely. The last thing I feel like I really need is a bike rack that can plug into the hitch so I can take my bikes along.

I've been following the forums for about a month but wanted to wait until I actually had my RV before I said hi. You folks seem really nice and helpful. Hopefully the hive mind of the collective here can help me with tips and tricks along the way.

There's one EPIC thread on here called "Jerry's Hurricane mods". That thing is a beast. I've been reading through it but still haven't read all the posts. It seems like a thread that will live on forever.

Anyway, that's my hello. Nice to meet you all. If you happen to have a Thor Ace, especially the 30.3, feel free to post any "must know" information for me here. Thanks in advance!
There is a great facebook group called rv newbies thar was the most helpful to us when we started.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Indiana
THOR #16561
Welcome

Pardon the laughter.
With your list of tools and abilities the likelihood of you even trying to limit improvements is quite futile. You are already aware of a portion of the shortcomings of the RV industry versus automotive. Time will show you just how little engineering support exists for Bud and Festus building them.
Add to that the condition of Americas pathways and it is amazing we ever do anything but repair these monsters.
I hope all your roads are smooth and your trips are awesome!
Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #27

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #17673
Anewsome, Welcome to the forum. I feel funny saying that since I am relatively new here as well.
I feel a special kinship with you. We purchased our 2019 30.3 in January.
It had 4,200 miles on it.
Can I ask what part of california you are in?

g
Old 06-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #28

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #12011
Welcome to the Thor world. We bought a 2018 ACE 30.4 new a few years ago and really like it. Smart of you to buy used so most of the bugs are worked out.
I’ve made a few mods, starting with suspension:
CHF
Hellwigs 7962 extended drop links - front
SuperSprings Sumo SSF-170-40-2 front springs
SuperSteer SS400 Rear Trac Bar
Safe-T-Plus 41-180 Steering stabilizer
Pioneer AVH-2550NEX multimedia receiver
Crossfire dual tires pressure balancers
5 Star Tune
Insulated dog house, under passenger/driver area
Variable speed water pump (Much quieter)
Tireminder TPMS
SnapPad Extra 9” pads for levelers
Flowrite battery fill
Fumoto oil drain
AIMS 1200 Watt PSW Inverter (Gotta have coffee on the road)
Digital thermostats

Gosh, it looks like a lot when I list it all out. Anyhoo, enjoy your RV.

Where in CA are you? We’re in NorCal in the SF Bay area.

Tim
Old 06-18-2020, 12:12 AM   #29

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
Welcome aboard

Looks like you already found out what I recommend to everyone -- Jerry's site. He and Dino...and everyone on there, for that matter, are very helpful, insightful, and friendly.

Ditto on the pressure regulator and EMS. Check out the Hughes Watchdog. It has a replaceable board in case it gets fried protecting your system (there may be others that do this, as well.)

Safe travels and Cheers!

Kent
Old 06-18-2020, 12:31 AM   #30

State: Washington
THOR #15882
Congrats We hace an ACE bunkhouse 30.2 Great unit. Perpear for a lot of fun. So far the only sugestion to you is.1 Do not use the plastic stackers for your jack platform get a 4inch by 8 feet pressure treated wood. Cut into 2 foot section (I usually keep a couple extra) for the jacks to have solid foundation to sit on. (Learned the hardway on one jack)
2.Watch the suspention of the unit when driving and on onramps to Highways. I going to probley use airbag support or somhoue beef up the suspention. 3 I live in Lakewood Wa make sure you do get a good macanic in your area.(Might ask others for recomindations) I would not trade mine in for the wourld.

Hope you enjoy it is great.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #31

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewsome View Post
Hello everyone. Last Friday I took delivery of my first RV. It's 2019 Thor Ace 30.3. It has 16,000 miles on it but seems to be in decent condition. I've spent the last weeks preparing the RV for a trip. I had a pretty long list of things I *thought* I really needed, like dishes, silverware, towels and soap. Now that I actually have the RV, the list has grown quite a bit.

It's actually pretty astounding, how many things are on the list. I even got a little portable BBQ that I can connect to the camp side LP connection. The only real modification I've made is to install an inverter so I can get 110 power strictly on battery, which worked out pretty nicely. The last thing I feel like I really need is a bike rack that can plug into the hitch so I can take my bikes along.

I've been following the forums for about a month but wanted to wait until I actually had my RV before I said hi. You folks seem really nice and helpful. Hopefully the hive mind of the collective here can help me with tips and tricks along the way.

There's one EPIC thread on here called "Jerry's Hurricane mods". That thing is a beast. I've been reading through it but still haven't read all the posts. It seems like a thread that will live on forever.

Anyway, that's my hello. Nice to meet you all. If you happen to have a Thor Ace, especially the 30.3, feel free to post any "must know" information for me here. Thanks in advance!
Congratulaions on your new purchase!

We have had our new Thor Vegas for 8 months and have had no mechanical issues, but the usual list of small issues with cabinets, etc. Nothing that stopped our enjoyment.

I would definitely suggest installing the Lippert One Control app on your phone (if that's the system you have). I've also found a total of 20 feet of sewer hose to be very important on several trips. I also installed a Valterra sewer hose holder under the coach. Extra water hose is also important. I have an extra electrical cord, but have not needed it-yet. Also suggest adapters so you can plug into 50 amp and 20 amp (for home).

We have also found a small electric heater to be important for cold mornings as the propane furnace uses a lot of fuel and is really not necessary most of the time.

Finally, I carry a good assortment of hand tools, screws, silicone spray, bug remover, etc. Also carry a cordless light and drill with bits. I've found a foam kneeling pad to be handy on gravel camp sites. A good water filter improves the taste of campground water and I carry several gallons of spring water for making coffee.

That's probably enough of a list for now!
Old 06-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #32

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsread View Post
I live in Lakewood Wa make sure you do get a good macanic in your area.(Might ask others for recomindations) I would not trade mine in for the wourld.

Hope you enjoy it is great.

Jeff,

Who's your mechanic? (I live near Lake Tapps)

--Don Karstedt
Old 06-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #33

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The ONLY two things that can keep that list from growing:
Bankruptc
or
Death at the hands of an enraged Spouse,,,
...and GVWR.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #34

THOR #9084
Yes.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:34 AM   #35

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Congratulations! The 30.3 is our favorite model of ACE. We hope to upgrade to it one day.

Tags
30.3, ace, thor