Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2020, 03:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #19508
Countdown to the full-time Gypsy life in my 23' Class C

Hi, I'm Michelle. I'm happy to be here! I don't have a lot of time to do research right now because I'm packing my apartment up and need to be out on 7/31. Going to be a Gypsy for a while in the 2010 Thor Chateau I recently purchased.

I'm not new to owning/driving/living in a motorhome. I inherited a 31' Bounder years ago and drove it all over before using it as a temporary home once or twice in my life. Difference was when I lived in it, it was in a fixed location off the grid with partial services: water and sewer hook ups. And that was 20 years ago..

Fast forward to now. I'm about to move in to this thing, but first I'm doing a couple of modifications. I will be removing the rear side bed platform to gain more square footage inside the coach. I'll be giving up the storage space underneath the platform, but oh well. I know there are a few services under the bed to be cautious of, and the build-back will encompass a bit of rerouting of these services.

The question of of the hour is, has anyone ever done this before, and can you offer me any advice?

The other thing is that I will be moving to a composting toilet. Once I do that, I will use the black tank as an overflow for the grey water tank. Has anyone done this before? If so, any advice?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate any advice you may have.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Think Long and Hard about going to a compost toilet before tearing out the existing system..... Disposal of human waste regulations (even for composted 'dry cake") are very restrictive...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our campfire!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
how do you propose using the black tank as an 'overflow' for the gray tank?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #5

THOR #19508
Thanks! I have indeed considered that and am always thinking - long and hard is always the way to go. Water is a precious commodity here in California.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #6

THOR #19508
Plumbing crossover connection made by penetrating both tanks.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Welcome back home to the Gypsy life! It's gotten even better over the years from when you last sailed the highways. I hope you enjoy your new home & please show us some pictures of your remodeling work as you go through the process. Sounds like a lot of work, so you must have something special in mind for the apace back there. See ya on the road & on this forum, the guys here are an incredible resource for all kinds of things (they put up with me, but I'm only a year & a half old in rv years!). Congrats!
Old 07-25-2020, 02:11 AM   #8

THOR #19508
Talking Thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
Welcome back home to the Gypsy life! It's gotten even better over the years from when you last sailed the highways. I hope you enjoy your new home & please show us some pictures of your remodeling work as you go through the process. Sounds like a lot of work, so you must have something special in mind for the apace back there. See ya on the road & on this forum, the guys here are an incredible resource for all kinds of things (they put up with me, but I'm only a year & a half old in rv years!). Congrats!
Thanks, I have pictures ready. I do have plans for the space. Half of it will be a half bath with a new composting toilet I just ordered and a slim profile sink and vanity. The other half will be a little work space/desk area. The clean water tank is under the bed I demo'd as well as some other services. My little desk area will be on top of the water tank.

Where should I post the photos? And since it's an ongoing project, i would be adding more as I go along. I think I should start a new thread, but I'm not too savvy on this forum yet. I already replied incorrectly to the two people above. Would appreciate suggestions!
Old 07-25-2020, 02:32 AM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Have you ever been 'involved' with a composting toilet before?
They can, and often do, smell just like an outhouse.

Unless you just have to have a composting toilet due to politics, wouldn't using your grey water as toilet flush water be a better idea...Politics aside?
No added plumbing needed. Just a bucket under the sink drain and a bucket/catchment in the shower.
Then you can use your gray tank as an overflow for your black tank.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, demo, platform, rear, side