Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 04:56 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #4779
Axis Vegas

Hi Everone

I would like to purchase a new Vegas or Axis ruv. Does anyone have a suggestion on when the best time to purchase. Can you get a better deal at the end of the year? Any advice would be helpful. thanks

Old 07-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari1975 View Post
Hi Everone

I would like to purchase a new Vegas or Axis ruv. Does anyone have a suggestion on when the best time to purchase. Can you get a better deal at the end of the year? Any advice would be helpful. thanks
Bought ours in the first part of January at a local RV show. The MSRP mark-up is outrageous on RVs, so going to the show you see the "show price" which you can then make offers on. Don't forget to do all you can to have the dealer include a front end alignment before you sign anything.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That would probably depend on your local camping season. If you were located somewhere that has a year round camping season then the prices probably stay pretty much the same throughout the year.

If you were located somewhere with only a 6 month camping season then at the end of the season (and over Winter) would offer the lowest prices.

Another thought: picking up the previous model year's model may offer a bigger discount as well.

Typically the show price will be the cheapest price around (picked up ours at a show).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
When I was searching, I discovered that the cheapest price was at the dealer near the factory. This is because there is only a couple mile delivery charge. I bought a 2015 right after the 2016 were appearing at the dealers. The folks that I bought from were motivated to get rid of last years model. This was in the fall.

BUT, now lets discuss service. Unlike autos, RV dealers will not want to service your RV if you did not buy it from them. My local dealer was $18,000.00 more than the dealer that I finally purchased from, five hours away. Then the local dealer wanted me to wait six months to get some warranty work done. I ended up going to a 3rd party service center that honors Thor warranty work.

Also, read through the forum about the importance of the Dealer Purchase Walk thru. It is very important

Review this .

With all that said, mostly be an informed consumer. Then get into your new RV and have loads of fun and make sure to wave back at me.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

THOR #4779
Awesome advice thank you!!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Previous model year does seem to offer lower initial prices, so it may be a good way to go.

In the case of Axis/Vegas, I would personally avoid older inventory if it has the taller windshield (more likely to crack/fail). A few of those motorhomes seem to still be on dealer lots.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

THOR #4779
We're the biggest improvements made for 2016 models or are the 2015 and 2016 models similar?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Best price is definitely at an RV show -- but service after sale on warranty work is a critical factor. Search this forum and you'll find owners whose new RV were tied up in a dealer's for 9 months or more of their first year's ownership.

Like mentioned earlier, RV maintenance is nothing like maintenance on a new car. Have a problem with your new car and ANY dealer will do the warranty work and not make you wait until he is finished with work on cars that were bought from him. The opposite is generally true with RVs -- many dealers will make you wait (or not do the work at all) if you did not buy the RV from him. So if you live in CA and buy from a dealer in IN do not be surprised if you have a hard time finding someone who will do your warranty work without long delays.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari1975 View Post
We're the biggest improvements made for 2016 models or are the 2015 and 2016 models similar?
Thor went to a lower windshield some time during that timeframe, and Ford upgraded the Transmission from a 5-speed to a 6-speed. Those are the two big upgrades that concerned me most during my search.

As I recall, the 6-speed started with 2016 Ford chassis model year, but that's not to say all 2016 Axis/Vegas were built on a 2016 chassis. RV manufacturers often run behind, so a 2016 Thor Axis could have been built on a 2015 Ford chassis.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #10

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Chance,

Yep, it can happen as we have a 2016 Vegas on the 2015 chassis.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Personally, I wouldn't shy away from the 5-speed if it saved me some cash and I was on tight budget. I would prefer the 6-speed, but the 5R110 was used on Super Duty pickups and also motorhomes for many years.

The taller windshield would concern me more. I can't ever see myself buying a new or used Axis or Vegas with the taller windshield. Motorhome windshields are too expensive to take a chance on a design that cracks so often.