Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2021, 01:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #24992
Leaving New Yorkistan, soon to be a South Dakotan

last Monday we picked up our new Magnitude XG 32 from General RV in Canton Oh.

We have been researching for a year, before settling on the XG32. We test drove one back in January and really liked it, but we were just not in a position to buy.

So we went to the Hershey RV show, we talked to other dealers like Nexus, Renegade, ect. and when we told them what general was selling the XG32 for, they were all a little surprised. We bought a new rig, for less than what many used XG32's are going for on RV Trader.

we did the PDI on Monday and "camped" in their parking lot Monday night. we played with all the stuff, I even took a shower, everything seemed to be in order, except in the morning we found a small water leak. It took some searching to find the source, which turned out to be the city water fill tube was not secure right behind the hose bib, and easy fix.

We drove it home Tuesday morning, Rochester, NY. What a nice driving rig, i was doing 70mph and according to the computer, we were getting 11.2 mpg with 67% in the fresh water tank.

My one complaint: the mattress sucks, Im an Eagle Scout and have camped on rocks and roots that were more comfortable than the piece of crap, they criminally call a mattress. Im sure the prisoners at Gitmo get a better mattress. the good news is, we bought a Brooklyn Bedding Queen Short a couple months ago in anticipation of this issue. So when we finally move into the RV we should be much more comfortable.

Anyway, we have temporarily named it, "The Escape Pod", i think we'll come up with a better name once we leave NY. maybe we'll change the name to "ROLLING FREEDOM"

TALLY-HOE

Old 10-01-2021, 02:17 AM   #2

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Congrats and welcome to the forum. There are lots of crazy prices going on right now so glad to hear you got a good for you deal.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:26 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
So you're getting out of "Rottenchester"... I was there about 15 years ago for a week's training at the Kodak HQ... I overheard a store clerk refer to it...

Well she actually said "Rottenchestah".
Old 10-01-2021, 02:51 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
last Monday we picked up our new Magnitude XG 32 from General RV in Canton Oh.

We have been researching for a year, before settling on the XG32. We test drove one back in January and really liked it, but we were just not in a position to buy.

So we went to the Hershey RV show, we talked to other dealers like Nexus, Renegade, ect. and when we told them what general was selling the XG32 for, they were all a little surprised. We bought a new rig, for less than what many used XG32's are going for on RV Trader.

we did the PDI on Monday and "camped" in their parking lot Monday night. we played with all the stuff, I even took a shower, everything seemed to be in order, except in the morning we found a small water leak. It took some searching to find the source, which turned out to be the city water fill tube was not secure right behind the hose bib, and easy fix.

We drove it home Tuesday morning, Rochester, NY. What a nice driving rig, i was doing 70mph and according to the computer, we were getting 11.2 mpg with 67% in the fresh water tank.

My one complaint: the mattress sucks, Im an Eagle Scout and have camped on rocks and roots that were more comfortable than the piece of crap, they criminally call a mattress. Im sure the prisoners at Gitmo get a better mattress. the good news is, we bought a Brooklyn Bedding Queen Short a couple months ago in anticipation of this issue. So when we finally move into the RV we should be much more comfortable.

Anyway, we have temporarily named it, "The Escape Pod", i think we'll come up with a better name once we leave NY. maybe we'll change the name to "ROLLING FREEDOM"

TALLY-HOE
Congrats and you will love the new life. We escaped Boston years ago.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:00 AM   #5

THOR #24992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
So you're getting out of "Rottenchester"... I was there about 15 years ago for a week's training at the Kodak HQ... I overheard a store clerk refer to it...

Well she actually said "Rottenchestah".
yep, unfortunately EK has really gone down hill. And, one reason we are getting out, is there has been a stabbing or shooting every night for the last 8 months. its getting ridiculous
Old 10-01-2021, 03:03 AM   #6

THOR #24992
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Congrats and you will love the new life. We escaped Boston years ago.
we wnat to put has much solar on the roof as we can get up there with 600Ah of batteries in the basement. we'd like to boondock as much as possible.

I also plan to install a composting toilet, so we can stay out longer
Old 10-01-2021, 03:25 AM   #7

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
we wnat to put has much solar on the roof as we can get up there with 600Ah of batteries in the basement. we'd like to boondock as much as possible.

I also plan to install a composting toilet, so we can stay out longer
We bailed out of Columbus Ohio and headed south just in time... shootings have become commonplace, and you risk your life on the freeways... it's insane how much things have deteriorated there in just 5 short years.

What's frustrating is they NEVER tell you the outcome of shooting investigations... gangs?? drug wars?? Prostitution... I mean "sex trafficking"... gotta be P.C. We were in a very nice neighborhood... but you can only hold the line so long. I saw many neighborhoods "go to the dogs" over the 36 years I lived there.

We're lovin the "country life"... AND we would boondock exclusively if I could afford the batteries/solar needed... and then there's that water problem...
Old 10-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #8

Model: Quantum RQ29
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 10-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Welcome
Old 10-01-2021, 12:00 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Once you find a permanent safe haven: send for us!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1633089618
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	34039  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new coach. I think everyone is looking for that place but no one has found it yet.

Paul
Old 10-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #12

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
“Rottenchestah”

I spent a week there one night.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
To Rochester's defense.. My daughter is a Freshman at RIT and is very happy there.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #14

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
To Rochester's defense.. My daughter is a Freshman at RIT and is very happy there.
Funny how kids see things through a different lens...

When we visited Youngstown State University with our daughter, as parents we thought "no way she'll like this... it's an old rustbelt town with nothing to do"

She accepted a full scholarship - which included 5 years!

She LOVED it... took advantage of close proximity to Cleveland (she loves Indians baseball) and Pittsburgh for her "big city" fix.

Who woulda thunk??
Old 10-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #15

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Funny how kids see things through a different lens...

When we visited Youngstown State University with our daughter, as parents we thought "no way she'll like this... it's an old rustbelt town with nothing to do"

She accepted a full scholarship - which included 5 years!

She LOVED it... took advantage of close proximity to Cleveland (she loves Indians baseball) and Pittsburgh for her "big city" fix.

Who woulda thunk??
I loved growing up in Boston.... As soon as I grew up and getting ready to start a career I could not get out fast enough. That was in 1974.... happiness was New England in my rearview mirror.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:45 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
We bailed out of Columbus Ohio and headed south just in time... shootings have become commonplace, and you risk your life on the freeways... it's insane how much things have deteriorated there in just 5 short years.

What's frustrating is they NEVER tell you the outcome of shooting investigations... gangs?? drug wars?? Prostitution... I mean "sex trafficking"... gotta be P.C. We were in a very nice neighborhood... but you can only hold the line so long. I saw many neighborhoods "go to the dogs" over the 36 years I lived there.

We're lovin the "country life"... AND we would boondock exclusively if I could afford the batteries/solar needed... and then there's that water problem...
We boondock a lot. You could get a 5 gallon bpa free water jug and refresh add water if running low. We have found near by spigots to fill the 5 gallon
Old 10-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
We boondock a lot. You could get a 5 gallon bpa free water jug and refresh add water if running low. We have found near by spigots to fill the 5 gallon
For a couple decades we've been using a 6 gallon blue jug with wheels, and a small aquarium pump, for that purpose.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #18

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I have 3 blue Walmart 7 gallon jugs and another random 6 gallon one... I got those a few years back when we had our trailer for our trip out west. Carried them in the back of the truck... along with 2 generators and a TON of other stuff - half of which I never used. I was WAY overprepared. I still take an empty jug with me in the motorhome along with a small 12volt pump - just in case.

All total, I can carry 67 gallons fresh... but the real problem is gray water. Funny... in most of Europe it's legal to dump gray water, but NOT in the U.S. I guess there's too man sketchy characters who would dump EVERYTHING - since lots of "inconsiderates" have a nasty habit of leaving their trash in the fire ring - beer cans and all.

One of our favorite boondocking spots in Ohio was a former coal strip mining area. It was managed by the power company in the area, but recently handed over to the state of Ohio. It's beautiful... completely regrown. They have hand well pumps at several locations, and small culvert style drains where it's permitted to dump gray water ONLY.

But when Covid hit, it became "party city" with NO effective management... drugs & all - you know the drill. From what I hear it's REALLY gone downhill - and dangerous. So sad.

But back on topic... southeastern Ohio is a beautiful place if you like hilly wooded areas... which we do. Since we got out of the "big city", I think we've grown roots here.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:05 AM   #19

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
For a couple decades we've been using a 6 gallon blue jug with wheels, and a small aquarium pump, for that purpose.
A pump like this?

SunGrow Submersible Aquarium Water Pump, 3 Watts, 5.9 Feet Power Cord, Hydrodynamic Design, Supports Small 3-5 Gallons Tank

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCDFCV5
Old 10-02-2021, 12:06 AM   #20

THOR #20220
Quote:
I have 3 blue Walmart 7 gallon jugs and another random 6 gallon one... I got those a few years back when we had our trailer for our trip out west. Carried them in the back of the truck... along with 2 generators and a TON of other stuff - half of which I never used. I was WAY overprepared. I still take an empty jug with me in the motorhome along with a small 12volt pump - just in case.

All total, I can carry 67 gallons fresh... but the real problem is gray water. Funny... in most of Europe it's legal to dump gray water, but NOT in the U.S. I guess there's too man sketchy characters who would dump EVERYTHING - since lots of "inconsiderates" have a nasty habit of leaving their trash in the fire ring - beer cans and all.

One of our favorite boondocking spots in Ohio was a former coal strip mining area. It was managed by the power company in the area, but recently handed over to the state of Ohio. It's beautiful... completely regrown. They have hand well pumps at several locations, and small culvert style drains where it's permitted to dump gray water ONLY.

But when Covid hit, it became "party city" with NO effective management... drugs & all - you know the drill. From what I hear it's REALLY gone downhill - and dangerous. So sad.

But back on topic... southeastern Ohio is a beautiful place if you like hilly wooded areas... which we do. Since we got out of the "big city", I think we've grown roots here.
What type of pump?

12volt pump