Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #22190
Water pump electrical problem

Hello All, Im chasing an electrical problem.

2018 Thor chateau 24f E350

I have an intermittent electrical problem with my water. For no rhyme or reason the pump will stop working at the switch. When this occurs the monitor led lights also go dead (lpg, batt, fresh, grey,blk) however all the other switches work fine (generator, slide, water heaters both electric and gas).

I can run a jumper directly to the water pump and it works fine. If i go to the fuse panel/distribution panel and pull fuse for monitor the fault indicator led will not turn on even if water pump switch is on. Then if you wait a while that fault indicator will slowly start to flicker on as if something is resetting (sometimes). Ive tried new fuses with same results. There is 12v at both legs with fuse plugged in.

Things i noticed, the water pump switch has three pins with three wires connected. However only two wires have companion wires which continue thru din plug(red w/blk stripe and purple) the other purple wire from switch goes into plug but does Not have a wire that continues into harness?

1) does these switches go bad?
2) is the fuse distribution center a real circuit board that may have faulty circuits?
3) why would monitor leds be tied to water pump(common ground)?

Im stumped!!?? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you
R

Old 02-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
I'd start with the monitor panel.

Typically the switches for generators, slides, water heaters both electric & gas are sourced from the appliance itself and do not get connected to 12VDC source inside the monitor panel. Hence they work as long as the appliance works.

Monitor LED's, pumps, etc. that need 12VDC power to run need a source. If you pull out the panel you may discover a loose wire on the back. These can be a pain to troubleshoot sometimes.

Look for a relay somewhere in the pump circuit also, these are a small black cube with wires and are used where the switch on the control panel (or multiple switches to control the pump) are too small for the amperage of the pump. I've had loose wires on them and a bad one years ago. Location? Good luck could be buried in a harness somewhere.

Never had a bad pressure switch on a pump always a first time.

Good luck
Old 02-16-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Pull the panel and check the myriad of twist together wire connections. One of them is loose.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #4

THOR #22190
Thanks pneumatics and 16ace27

Yes i have already pulled the monitor panel. All connections seem to be in order. There is a small block on exterior under step i thought it was a fuse of some sort with two lugs and nuts coming from battery +. Ive got 12v on both ends. Ill try and chase wires from switch and to pump to find a relay.

Yes, i know what you mean. My awning went out last summer and it turned out to be the harness was so tight it pulled a pin out of plug under sink area. That was totall luck finding. Thanks again. Ill keep board updated
Old 04-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #5

THOR #22190
Water pump/monitor issue

2018 Thor chateau 24f E350

Still cannot find source of water pump and monitor having no power at led lights. See previous post.

Does anyone know where to find the water pump latching controller/relay?? Small bkack box with four spade connections (12v+,sw,load,grnd).

I have looked everywhere. No such luck. The only thing i have found a were couple connectors with wires barely connected waitingvto cause another fault.

I’ve reached out to Thor for wiring diagram and see if they could advise, but still have not heard back from them.

Thanks any help welcome
Old 04-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #6

THOR #22190
Found issue I believe.?

Ive been going nuts trying track down my water pump/monitor panel power issue. In doing so i came across many faulty connectors. Multi wire plugs where the manufacturer did not properly strip, crimp and install properly. Where wires just pull out the back of connectors. Very disheartening as these live throughout the coach. This was also a cause for my previous awning issue.

Anyway I repaired the ones found approximately 5 separate wires simply not connected.

I still wasn’t able to find the typical latching controller. But did find what I believe is the relay for the water pump. It is a typical relay similar to what you find in a automotive fuse box. Bosch. There were at least 3 i could see buried under a gang if wire under bed by main circuit panel under the main power transfer switch. This is a terrible place for these because there is no room to truly work on them or access without taking bed apart which from what i can tell requires the slide to be removed!!

Based only the wire colors going to that relay (black , white ) wires maybe 16 gauge. I squeezed my hand in best as possible and “click” it sounded like it popped into connector. Pump and panel are working again.

If i find an easy way to remove upper bed panel to clean up and secure these wires ill post a picture. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B54A42A1-592E-4AA2-A0F6-E12A96E801D6.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	29740   Click image for larger version

Name:	2FB7D5DE-2E9C-47CA-A1CB-5DB40BBAAF1D.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	29741  

Old 04-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
My pump controller is near the water pump with the pump getting power directly from the relay. If you don't have multiple pump switches you may not have a controller. If you have the switch in the wet bay and the wall switch then you do have one probably near the pump.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

THOR #22190
What exactly is a wet bay? My water pump switch is at my monitor panel. Only one mini switch and im certain that switch cant be the true direct switch. Wire gauges and colors are different. My water pump is directly under kitchen sink with two 14-16 gauge wires(blk and wht). No such latching controller to be found anywhere. All wires dump into a loom into a larger Harness. They clear route towards main breaker box/fuse panel under bed. Pump works fine if i hot wire directly to battery. It looks like that black and white wire plus two smaller gauge wires connect to a relay(automotive type) in bed structure. But very difficult to access through small access panel they hinged above breaker box. Dumb design/layout to say the least. Especially, considering how many poorly crimped connectors ive already repaired. Truly disappointed on their workmanship.

Tags
electrical problem, water pump