Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Will do! When it went, it was metal on metal! Wouldn't even turn over after we shut it down!

Old 01-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #22

THOR #13505
We were going 25mph leaving Antietam KOA, boss lady driving at 25mph and it was below freezing outside. It sounded like metal eating metal when it went and she turned it off in seconds. It will not even turn over. Not lights went off on dash. We had drove from NC to CT and were 1/2 way back. Waiting on Ford dealership to let us know, they told us they were back logged! It had dealership checkup right before we left!
Old 01-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #23

THOR #13505
We had 2016 24.1 Vegas with the big windshield, they dropped it a foot in 2017!! I wonder why!

we bought it one year old, Thor had paid for 1st one, it will pop half way up on either side. 1ft to 18 inch crack.

We had it pop one time coming off ferry at ocracoke nc , one time just driving down highway on by pass of richman va in crappy road pot holes.

Progressive paid for it twice with 350 deductible.

Known ISSUE!! We loved the little RV, that was one of the major issue. I had some electrical issues once in a while, I do the fonzie on batter bank and it would come back online. They chased that bug for 18 months when we owned it! It ripped an awning off once, warranty company we paid 4 grand to denied us! Beside that, was nice learning RV before we take off in big one this year.

We loved the new hurricanne!

Auto Lift
Windgard
Can control about everything from phone app.
Guest bathroom.
Shower I can fit in
ETC

Miss my club house! ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What a beautiful coach!!!

If you only knew how hard we tried to get a Hurricane or Windsport, but it was as if the dealers didn't want us to buy one

My question outside of what went wrong with the engine is how did you come to have to get 4 windshields? Were the windshields damaged or was it they just didn't re-install it properly 3 times?
Old 01-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6418
When our Engine went last year, it was a head gasket. I took 9 weeks to get it fixed in Winslow, AZ. The bill was $10,000 on Ford. They will not sell us a Ford extended warranty.
That was part of our Vacation from Hell.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
When our Engine went last year, it was a head gasket. I took 9 weeks to get it fixed in Winslow, AZ. The bill was $10,000 on Ford. They will not sell us a Ford extended warranty.

Frank

Well that had to suck. Out loud! Hope all is well now.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:48 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:

Frank

How many miles on the RV and how old was it?

Did they say what have caused the head gasket to blow? Did they offer suggestions to ensure preventative measures; given you cannot get an extended warranty.

I checked my oil (F53) the other day for first time and it was as if the dipstick was 5 feet long!!! Then you only look at last 2 inches or so

Glad you got it resolved and able to good a side out of your stated Vacation from Hell.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:02 AM   #27

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6418
Quote:
How many miles on the RV and how old was it?

Did they say what have caused the head gasket to blow? Did they offer suggestions to ensure preventative measures; given you cannot get an extended warranty.

I checked my oil (F53) the other day for first time and it was as if the dipstick was 5 feet long!!! Then you only look at last 2 inches or so

Glad you got it resolved and able to good a side out of your stated Vacation from Hell.
It is a 2015 with less than 23,000 miles. For 36/36 expired 6 weeks after the gasket blew. The dealer said head gasket was very unusual to blow, except the had a regular customer that had 3 go on one truck. I would have got rid of that truck.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:20 AM   #28

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
It is a 2015 with less than 23,000 miles. For 36/36 expired 6 weeks after the gasket blew. The dealer said head gasket was very unusual to blow, except the had a regular customer that had 3 go on one truck. I would have got rid of that truck.

Frank

Okay. May I ask you to send me 6 lotto numbers?

Do I pick Green Bay or San Francisco? Tennessee or Kansas City?

I had similar on my son's 2014 Camaro. The 3rd & 4th gears went out and Chevrolet wanted $4,200 to repair transmission. At the time; it was out of warranty by 2 months. Dealer would not budge. I got with Chevrolet directly and the Regional Sales Manager said they would warranty most of the repair because while it was out of warranty due to age, the fact that
the mileage was very low (30k) suggested a defect on their part. I paid about $600 and they put it back under warranty.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #29

State: Florida
THOR #10036
Doghouse

Quote:
Thanks to you guys and this site I had twice walked away from deals that I was so certain to be the coach for us. It was very hard to do. For a while I was beginning to believe we would never find the perfect coach. This OP has different set of unfortunate circumstances as they surfaced after the purchase.

We absolutely love our coach and I am so glad we waited. It is actually at a Winnebago Dealer now for a few minor warranty items. It was a little tricky because I had to take to a Local Dealer that I did not buy from. We ended up with better coach with more features than the local dealers had, and for about $10k less by going to Florida. You may recall me wanting HDMI wiring, San T Flush, MCD Blackout shades etc. We got it all. We didn't get bit by any Alligators while there; so that Florida gator talk must be all hype?

I finally finished the Safe T Plus install. I am working on the EC - 30 AGS and Engine Disconnect Switch now.
Never look down the barrel of a loaded gun,likewise don’t stand on the bank of a river or lake. The warning signs mean what they say. Fl. Native.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Please let us know what they find, and how long it will take to replace that engine.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #31

THOR #13505
2 cams are damaged, one bad, one scorched. Ford had shop tear motor all they way down. Looks like we getting new motor! Waiting on Ford.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #32

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
This has to be a rare occurrence. I'm wondering if it was starving for lubrication and some type of oil pump / pressure issue that caused the failure.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #33

THOR #13505
Update on 2020 Hurricane Motor

2 cams are damaged, one bad, one scorched. Ford had shop tear motor all the way down. Looks like we getting new motor! Been Approved by Ford.

Oil wasn't getting pumped right!

we won the lotto on engines! ha
Old 01-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #34

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Well that's good news.... even though you had some seriously bad luck.

I'd like to watch them do an engine swap on a Class A... that has to be a heck of a job.

Hopefully they have you back out on the road soon.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #35

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
And at least it was in the winter instead of prime traveling months. Hope all is well from now on!
Old 01-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #36

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
Interesting you should mention it. My 2020 wasn’t 200 miles from the dealership when it started having significant vibration at specific speeds/rpms. I turned around and gave it it back. General RV exchanged it for another 24.1 and shipped my other one back to the factory citing a chassis issue. Different engIne but I wonder if they’ve been having a general issue with quality standards at the Henry Ford Motor Company-