Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2021, 11:20 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #23934
Looking for a 25.2. Leads? Advice?

Hi, I have recently started looking for a.coach at or below 26 feet for my wife and my two young daughters.

I know there are plenty of class B at that size but I am very attracted to.the Thor 25.2 Axis or Vegas. To me that seems to be a great option, easy to drive and can tow 8k lbs if necessary.

We previously had a NuCamp Tab 400 trailer but we sold it.last year when our second baby was on the way. I want to get away from a tow behind trailer due to the convenience of having everything already set up for naps and meals.

There is a local dealer that took an '17 Axis on trade with 20k miles on it. I have not seen it yet but he said it is nearly perfect. He sent the two front seats out to get redone as they were peeling.

I hope to go see it tomorrow. Their OTD price is $62k which is the top end of what we want to pay. Feedback on pricing? Anything to look out for? Thanks!

Old 06-24-2021, 12:06 AM   #2

THOR #23934
Oh, there are also two 2015 A.C.E. in the area, one for $59 and one for $49 ask private party. Any thoughts on those over the Axis?
Old 06-24-2021, 01:43 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I prefer an RV under 30’
And one where I can sleep without using a slide.

The ACE? You get the Ford F53 chassis, which is nice.
But it depends on the model. Large truck chassis with more V10 horsepower.
- The 27’ ACE is nice, however I believe you need the slide open to sleep in the master bed
- the 31’ ACE with the full wall slide is a very popular floorplan. And you can sleep with the slide closed. But it’s too long for my preference

That’s why I’m sold on Vegas/Axis 24.1
25.5 feet long, no slide needed to sleep.
It does have the E450 (or 350 chassis depending on model year).
Some do not like the E chassis vs the F53, but it’s fine for my needs.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:05 AM   #4

THOR #23934
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I prefer an RV under 30’
And one where I can sleep without using a slide.

The ACE? You get the Ford F53 chassis, which is nice.
But it depends on the model. Large truck chassis with more V10 horsepower.
- The 27’ ACE is nice, however I believe you need the slide open to sleep in the master bed
- the 31’ ACE with the full wall slide is a very popular floorplan. And you can sleep with the slide closed. But it’s too long for my preference

That’s why I’m sold on Vegas/Axis 24.1
25.5 feet long, no slide needed to sleep.
It does have the E450 (or 350 chassis depending on model year).
Some do not like the E chassis vs the F53, but it’s fine for my needs.
Yeah, I really do like the size and.functionality of the Axis. However, if I can get a two year older ACE 27.1 for $12k less. Looking at the floorplans (I haven't been in one yet) it does look later me the king sized bed does stay down with the slide closed.

Can you elaborate on the chassis differences? I don't like the ACE rear fuel door although I'm sure it is perfectly safe. I do like the higher tow rating on the Axis, not that I plan to tow 8000lbs, but it is nice to have options. The Axis also looks better IMO, not that motorhomes are in a beauty contest.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:53 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Vegas 25.6 !
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:08 AM   #6

THOR #13362
Need assistance from the Moderator who drives an ACE 27.1

The E series on the Vegas/Axis is a stripped box-truck
So it’s basically a Class C chassis without the standard Ford front end.
The front axel/rims/tires is narrower than the rear dual axel.
16” tires/rims are a complaint normally heard.
Thor builds a box around the front end so it looks and acts like a Class A

The ACE, on the other hand, is a pure Class A.
So the front tires/rims are the same width as the rear.
Larger tires/rims and gross weight than E series.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #7

THOR #20220
no problems with the 16" tires and very easy for us and 2 golden retrievers to get in and out. Tire monitoring systems fit nicely. We LOVE our vegas 25.6 as a matter of fact our friends have many different class A MH and claim there to be "practical" but alwaus say they love ours. At dinner the other night one of them joked with us to trade theirs for ours!!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 06-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
Yeah, I really do like the size and.functionality of the Axis. However, if I can get a two year older ACE 27.1 for $12k less. Looking at the floorplans (I haven't been in one yet) it does look later me the king sized bed does stay down with the slide closed.

Can you elaborate on the chassis differences? I don't like the ACE rear fuel door although I'm sure it is perfectly safe. I do like the higher tow rating on the Axis, not that I plan to tow 8000lbs, but it is nice to have options. The Axis also looks better IMO, not that motorhomes are in a beauty contest.
After further review...
You are correct about not requiring to open slide to sleep on the ACE 27.1
The only challenge is not being able to open the bedroom drawers without slide open.
It is nearly 29 feet, so be aware of that vs Vegas/Axis
Old 06-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #9

THOR #20220
Good luck many of our friends have issues booking state parks over 26 to 30 feet.
I drove friends motorhome homes over the vegas 25.6 length and big difference in size handling getting in and out of tight spaces. My vegas feels like a large SUV and I drive it with ONE hand. Just go with the floor plan you love and your gut

The single slide is amazing for space with 2 large golden retrievers and when guess are in the overhead bunk or dinette table to bed ..no problem getting to bath with dogs there

Again welcome
Old 06-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #10

THOR #23934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Good luck many of our friends have issues booking state parks over 26 to 30 feet.
I drove friends motorhome homes over the vegas 25.6 length and big difference in size handling getting in and out of tight spaces. My vegas feels like a large SUV and I drive it with ONE hand. Just go with the floor plan you love and your gut

The single slide is amazing for space with 2 large golden retrievers and when guess are in the overhead bunk or dinette table to bed ..no problem getting to bath with dogs there

Again welcome

Thanks. I really dislike campgrounds and try to avoid them. I always feel like a sardine with neighbors on all sides. I try to do state parks and boondocking. We love going to the Outer banks as you are right on the beach and can go when it is not crowded.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #11

THOR #20220
We only do State Parks sorry ... If in montana look at Woodbine Campground amazing!!
Old 06-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #12

THOR #23934
I'm going to check out a 27.1 ACE and a 25.2 back to back with the family. Hopefully we can pick a floorplan and narrow our search.

I like the smaller size and look of the Axis as well as the simplicity of only one small slide. However, the ACE has a king size bed and my kids tend to jump into bed. In the Axis I may end up sleeping in the bunk.

Hopefully comparing them back to back (ACE is private, Axis is dealer) we can see what fits up better.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:38 PM   #13

THOR #20220
Let us know. Can you drive both?
Old 06-26-2021, 09:27 PM   #14

THOR #23934
Ugh, very disappointing. The private sellers unit was gross. I think she had a hard time making the payments and she rented it out. All the seats were trashed, latches were broken, trim was falling off. However, my wife liked the floorpan. We then went and the Axis at the dealer and while the condition was was not as bad, there were still lots of little things that made it look like crap. Also, my wife hated that floorplan. I did not realize that the queen would not deploy without the slide out.

The dealer had two other ACEs on the lot, one with the bunk bed model. These were older but not as beat up. Either way, I walked away thinking that the Thor products don't hold up as well as some other makes. I'm not trying to bad mouth the brand and maybe these examples were particularly abused. However, in my search I looked at at 34 ft Winnebago from 2014 and everything was pristine, I just didn't want something that big and it was a base model (Vista).

Anyway, am I doing it wrong? I'm just a bit disappointed after dragging my family all over the place to look at units that looked great in pictures but not so much in real life.

We also checked out some of the new C Class vehicles which had a Murphy bed and we're beautiful, and my wife loved those.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:32 PM   #15

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Get the class c if it makes your wife happy. Happy wife happy life
Old 06-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Hi Bob, In our Axis '17 25.2 we like the rear slide-out queen bed. However, if we wish to sleep without the slide-out .. the folded rear bed accommodates one and there's the foldout sofa and also the overhead bed ... so in a pinch sleeping without the rear slide out is "doable" in the 25.2 ... But not the nice king bed set-up on the 24.1. Best regards, James
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:28 AM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
No, you’re not doing it wrong. Quite the contrary. Just keep looking. In my experience MOST used units of all brands are in poor/dirty shape. I’m always amazed that people would spend many thousands of dollars on an RV and then not take care of it. And you need to understand that they all require lots and lots of care! If your budget allows you might look at new units although they may require even more care until the “new bugs” get worked out. Otherwise just keep looking and don’t stop until you find what you want. Just make sure you’re in a position to act quickly as nice units always sell quickly. Especially in the current market. Don’t get too frustrated. The search is part of the fun. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #18

Model: Chateau V25
THOR #19470
Thor Chateau 25V

We bought a Class C 25V last year. My primary reason was that I did not have to use the slide to use my King size bed in the rear. The bathroom layout is very cool and there is a TON of storage in the basement under that King bed. Also, with the slide in, the entire coach is completely usable. Of course, after we purchased I saw the exact same layout in a Class A. I would have gone that route because one negative of the Class C is the driver foot and headroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018_ThorMotorCoach_Vegas_241.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	31724  
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:29 PM   #19

Model: Vegas
State: New York
THOR #17148
I purchased a used (44k miles) 2016 Vegas 25.2 for $52k in 2018. We pull a 2014 Honda CR-V without any issues. The Vegas/Axis is pretty easy to drive (much easier after I had Safe-T-Plus Steering stabilizer installed) and to get into/out of tight spaces. I love the queen size bed in back. My complaints are the lack of a side slide (if one of us in in the kitchen/galley, the other is stuck in front or back if the dining able is set up...yes, one of us has to move two feet to let the other pass). The engine and chassis access is limited/tight. Fortunately I have an RV place nearby for house repairs and a truck garage for chassis/engine service. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #20

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Alabama
THOR #20803
We paid $48,500 for a 2017 Axis 25.3 last Aug with 8,200 mi from a private seller. Though now it needs front seats redone.
BTW today at local military base “lemon lot” someone is sellin a 2017 Windsport 29’ for $82,590 with 10,500 mi....
Toad-undecided
Thor 25 is offline   Reply With Quote