Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2020, 02:35 AM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #18464
Looking for advice

I'm totally new to the idea of an RV. Don't have a rig yet but looking at the Magnitude XG32 versus the Dynamax Isata 5 28SS. I really like the Thor but the Dynamax seems to also have just about everything we need. Want to use it to travel to visit my daughter in Florida from the Northeast and do some weekend trips here.

Any advice on quality, build, etc.? All I hear is horror stories about how everything is broken like the week after you pick the rig up.

I really want 4WD being in the Northeast.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:31 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Everyone who has ever tried or owned a RV has their fair share of horror stories and fairy tales to pass along.

I would wander over to the Google site and type in Alaska RV Rentals to get a look at what is available in your area. Then I'd rent one for the weekend to see how it fits your style. Of course, the sticker shock of renting a RV in Alaska will get you right off the bat as a 3-day weekend will cost you around $750.00 or more. And, one of the Rental Dealers can answer your questions about 4-wheel RVs available in AK and other RV topics.

If the current virus is not too serious in Alaska you might cruise down to a nearby campground once the tourist season is in full swing and talk to some of the folks camped out there. You'll find them, for the most part, friendly and willing to share some of their knowledge and experience.

I made a trip into Canada and Alaska 4 years ago on a motorcycle trike towing a pop up camper. Had a blast. TIP: I cashed in a pile of points for restaurant cards (Outback, Cracker Barrel) and gas cards. Think I paid cash for 3 tanks of gas ---the rest were paid with the gas cards or one of my credit cards which racked up more points.

Good luck in your hunt and I hope your planned trip is a great success. I know it'll be long.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:41 AM   #3

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
They all have there horror stories. And searching the web, that is what you will most likely see. I would narrow it down to two that you are interested in and find forums or FB groups on those rigs. This way you will hear from those owners directly.
A 4x4 rig are few and far and usually vans or very expensive custom rigs.
Best of luck with your search.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:31 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #14841
XG32 vs 28SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Greenhorn View Post
I'm totally new to the idea of an RV. Don't have a rig yet but looking at the Magnitude XG32 versus the Dynamax Isata 5 28SS. I really like the Thor but the Dynamax seems to also have just about everything we need. Want to use it to travel to visit my daughter in Florida from the Northeast and do some weekend trips here.

Any advice on quality, build, etc.? All I hear is horror stories about how everything is broken like the week after you pick the rig up.

I really want 4WD being in the Northeast.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hello Greenhorn - will be following this thread as am in the same decision process XG32 vs 28SS - doesn't seem to be much "hands on" actual experience
with either unit based on earlier threads - hopefully yours will get more response ( may help to change the title to pique more interest ? )

I like the shorter OAL of the 28SS and the likely supposedly greater CCC weight, the smaller single slide-out, and the Cummins diesel. Not so hep on the elevated TV position requiring you to watch sideways and at an upward angle.

I like the Ford chassis of the XG32 but I am prejudiced being a Ford buyer for 30+ years ( even though I have a son that is in Parts Service at a Ram dealer ). I like the double sitting areas ( dinette and theater recliners ) and the eye level TV directly across from the recliners.

Sorry I cannot directly answer any of your questions - just want you to know there are others pondering the same issues. Good luck on your venture.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
By the way: Welcome to the Forum... and happy hunting!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:26 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Missouri
THOR #17147
I just sold a Dynamax Isata 3, it was a 24 ft which was the problem. I thought the Dynamax handled really good but just not enough room. I now own a Thor Ace 30.4 overhead bunk and we find it to be ideal the way its organized.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:11 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Suggest you do a search and post those questions on the IRV2 forum. Sometimes you can get answers there that you won't find here.

Renting an RV is always expensive, unless you know the cost of buying a rig that wasn't right for you. You might learn that what you thought you wanted wasn't right after all.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:00 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
After you do your looking at RV's, you may also want to look at
4x4 diesel trucks and either a 5th wheel trailer or travel trailer.

I've owned 2 motorhomes, 3 travel trailers and 1 5th wheel
trailer. Personally I like the 5th wheel and travel trailers better
than a motorhome.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #9

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
I purchased a one year old Thor sf35 because I thought it would have all the bugs worked out. Still had a slide motor go out. We considered the Dynamax, witch I liked. Both have similar features but settled on the Thor because we were offered more trade in on our old rig. You can’t go wrong on either one and they both offer 4x4 units. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #10

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Don't Buy Today

Welcome to the Forum. Whatever you do don't buy now. Wait until September to buy. This is going to be the worst year on record for RV dealers and manufacturers so by September they will be giving them away. Sure some dealers will lie to you and a few in here will say it's not true (but they are delusional) but the facts are RV sales are terrible and likely to get even worse this summer. RV parks are closed, National Parks are closed, state parks are closed so noone is buying just to park it because they can't go anywhere.

Be patient. By September you will find the deal of your dreams.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Agree with the previous post..... we purchased our 2020 Magnitude SV34 w/ 4x4 last October. If I was in the market this year, I would be shopping after the dust settles and into early fall. It will be a buyers market not only for purchase price but also financing rates.

That being said, we have no regrets with the purchase of our Magnitude. The F-550 chassis and 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel just can't be beat in terms of handling, ride quality and power. Our previous motorhome was a 2018 Outlaw 29H and there is no comparison between the two.

We wanted something in the 35' length. The SV34 floor plan is perfect for us. We were considering the Dynamax Force 34KD. That is a more expensive coach with the Freightliner chassis. I did like the Dynamax Force series and just didn't like the look of the Ram personally.

Ultimately we felt the biggest bang for the buck was the Magnitude and we had a good experience with Thor Customer Service before so we decided to go that route.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Welcome to the Forum. Whatever you do don't buy now. Wait until September to buy. This is going to be the worst year on record for RV dealers and manufacturers so by September they will be giving them away. Sure some dealers will lie to you and a few in here will say it's not true (but they are delusional) but the facts are RV sales are terrible and likely to get even worse this summer. RV parks are closed, National Parks are closed, state parks are closed so noone is buying just to park it because they can't go anywhere.

Be patient. By September you will find the deal of your dreams.

This is quite likely true unless the closed production lines are able to limit supply sufficiently to maintain scarcity if/when the economy rebounds. Quite amazingly I got a communication from Camping World recently saying that there currently is “unprecedented demand” for RVs and encouraging trade-ins. They claim that emergency and medical people are buying in record numbers. Amazing.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #13

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
This is quite likely true unless the closed production lines are able to limit supply sufficiently to maintain scarcity if/when the economy rebounds. Quite amazingly I got a communication from Camping World recently saying that there currently is “unprecedented demand” for RVs and encouraging trade-ins. They claim that emergency and medical people are buying in record numbers. Amazing.
Dealers are perpetuating lies to seem busy and create buyers by making lookers think they better buy now or get nothing. I have tested the waters in the buying market recently. I was able to make deals on several late model diesel pushers substantially under NADA values by a lot and new units near 45% off MSRP. Dealers generally never do that in a great bustling market. You may find a freak dealer out there somewhere but the fact is RV sales are in the dumpster. Watered of Sumer to buy. They will be desperate to sell and even have tons of late model stuff on consignment.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:14 AM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I would be patient to get exactly what I want at a price that I know is very good. If that does not happen until the Fall so be it, but once you know the coach you want, it is very easy to see the current selling rate. I do agree that 45% MSRP for brand new coach is a no brainer. It is not always a sales pitch because sometimes the coach you want is sold. Don't buy now because you think someone else is going to buy is what I perceive some of the points may really be.

I bought mine last November after about 15 months looking and making offers, when I finally bought a dealer in Florida had exactly what I wanted and few other options that I did not expect for less price than any previous offer I had made or seen at other dealerships. I bought right then (over phone) and did try to get cute. The Sales lady may have thought she sold me, but it was really because I new what I was looking for. We hadn't regretted. I use the RV now every day as my home office. Good Luck.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote