Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #18026
Looking for guidance

We are retired and considering traveling around the US and Canada, and feel that an RV may be the best way to do some of that.
We have never owned an RV (just starting our search), but I figure that maintaining a motorhome won't be too different than maintaining a cruising sailboat (that's my hope anyway).
I hope this is where I can find out what the differences are between a NEW -
Thor Freedom Elite 27FE &
Thor Four Winds 27R

I believe an RV of this size will fit in our driveway; although something bigger would be nice, I don't want to pay for storing it somewhere else!

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as our search moves forward.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

I haven't looked but if the floorplans match there really isn't that much of a difference. The Freedom Elite may be considered a lower cost model than the Four Winds (and if you want to go higher look at the Quantum line of Thors).

Other than that you won't find much difference in the systems, appliances, gear, etc. between the different Thor models. (They are likely built at the same plant.)

Of course someone will come along and correct me LOL.

Since you've never owned an RV you may find some interest in perusing Ed's crowd sourced Axis/Vegas Owner's manual found here: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html

Even though you're not looking at an Axis or Vegas unit the concepts and equipment used carries over to other RV models (especially Thor built ones).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:31 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

I generally suggest that first time RV shoppers rent a coach like you think you want before seriously shopping. This may seem expensive, but the experience will help you make better shopping decisions.

Then consider a gently used unit. A smart buyer will pay around 70-75% of list price for a new motor home. They depreciate sharply the first year, around 20% from what you should pay for a new one. You should find plenty of good used Class C coaches without driving too far.

Suggest you do your homework on dealers before you pull the trigger. There has been much discussion (and disgust) about a chain of dealers that exclusively offer Free dom E lite. Their reputation is less than stellar, after the sale. Happy hunting!
Old 02-09-2020, 01:43 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you had a chance to attend an RV Show? That would give you the ability to get a closer look at a bunch of different rigs.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:12 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Spend some time hitting all the RV dealers in your area. Take a copious amount of notes then rent a rig for a week trip around your area. I think this will answer most of your questions. RV systems are pretty basic and easy to service as long as you keep it simple.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:01 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard I believe you are getting sound advise from the fella's. I agree if you have never RV'd rent something in the size and model you are interested in that will give you the best feel for the coach in question.
If you find a dealer that has the Fourwinds model you are interested in chances are pretty good they will also rent one.
If they rent they also sell those rentals at a reduced price.
Our Ace was a two season rental from our local dealer and though it had a few miles on it was well maintained and we got it over 30% less than we would have bought new.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote