Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
House Batteres not charging on Shore Power

Hello all, another 'newbie" here. We have had our new 2015 Thor Challenger 37LX for only about 5 weeks now and are having problems keeping the furnace on over night. The two dual 6 volt house batteries keep draining till the low voltage error code comes on the Xantrex XM 1800 panel while we are connected to the 50 amp shore power. I am able to restore power by turning on the engine for a few minutes and then the house batteris show full charge but then begin to drop slowly again.

It seems maybe I have an issue with the converter from what I have seen in other RV forums and trying to read the manuals. I need to know where to find the converter and feel stupid but I dont really know where it is. I have the Xantrex PRO Inverter up front in the compartment behind the battery compartment, and I have the 50 amp Transfer switch in the rear with the Shore power line compartment, so where is the converter located?

Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I can't say for sure where it is, but may be able to help you find it. With the unit plugged in to shore power turn everything off that makes any noise. If the converter is working at all you should hear the hum of the cooling fan. Follow your ears.

Converters tend to be mounted low, usually at floor level, and will be in a ventilated space, probably behind a louvered panel or grill. In our Axis this is in the space under the fridge.

Thor uses a WFCO converter in many of their coaches. An internet search suggests the WFCO units have some known issues. One being failure to drop into "bulk" mode when needed, which could lead to the problem you describe.

Good luck,

Randy
Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #3

THOR #1403
Well thanks for the response. I cant find the Converter, I looked under the only vented space inside the Motor Home, under the refrigerator and I cant see it it anywhere and if it is I don't see how anyone could get to it to check for a blown fuse to it must be somewhere else.
Looks like another night of getting up every few hours to start the engine to recharge the house batteries which does not take long at all and then I have another couple hours B4 I need to do it again to keep the heat up and the underbelly heated compartments warm so we don't end up with any freezing problems there.
Tomorrow Thor will be open again and I will call them to find out where they put the Converter
Old 01-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Check behind the fuse box, they are located there some time. Also get a trickle charger and hook up to the house batteries that will more than likely run the unit until this problem can be fiqured out
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #5

THOR #1403
Thanks for the feed back I appreciate it. I have found the converter and circuit breaker located on this Model under the bed. The converter breaker was tripped so once I reset it, I heard the converter come on and have been holding a charge of 13.3 on the house batteries and everything is running as it was designed to
Old 01-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Great News
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote