Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Arkansas
THOR #9447
Compass 23 TB

Purchased a new 2017 Compass and so far loving it.
Had a few problems that got corrected by the dealer and I had to repair the cabinets on the road. (Screws pulled out). Toothpicks, wood glue and larger screws took care of that.
Found the handles on the waste water and black tank were reversed. (Grey handle on black and black on grey water tank.)
However, it has been great to drive and enjoy. I just broke it in going over the Great Smokey Mountains and still got 15.2 mpg. Didn't seem to care we were going over the mountains. Was not pulling a car this trip.
Looking forward to many more trips.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #2

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Hello
Welcome to the club. We have a 2017 gemini. Purchased in February. Love it. Very similar to compass. Had same problems w cabinet 's . Also shade under moon window. Was wondering if u were given a specific procedure for winterizing. Besides what it says in manual. We're also newbies.
Thanks.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the campfire!
The Missus and I seriously considered the "TB"; congratulations on a GREAT choice!
How about some pictures??
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We too have a 2017 Gemini, but its the TX. We also had a cabinet door come off the hinge, and a couple of other screws pop out. We have been pretty diligent getting things fixed while the warrantee is still in effect. Right now its at the dealer, doing some major additions to it. Adding a second air conditioner, the single in the rear just doesn't cut it in hot weather, so adding another in front, and having HWH leveling jacks installed. Also adding a hard wired regulator and surge protector.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
I have a Gemini TR and so far Love IT. I had one or my top cabinet doors so the same. Turned it in on warranty then did a fix myself till new one comes in.
Laco: would like to hear about the second AC install when you get it done.
I pull a 09 Mini Cooper and went to Destin Fl. a week ago and it did good. 15.5MPG!!!!
Old 10-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #6

THOR #5821
Bfdcheif, After using the Gemini this summer in warm weather, wife and I just don't feel one air conditioner is sufficient, at least not for us. I could keep the bedroom and the rear of the coach quite cool, and by running a fan in front and forcing warm air toward the rear, I could get some cooling up front, but not enough for us. I am having a second AC, identical to the existing one in the rear installed in front, it will go where the ceiling vent and fan currently are in front, which will replace the one in the bathroom. Since the Gemini only has 30 amp service, the front AC will be powered off a second 30 amp connector, which will mount right next to the existing one. I will run a Y connector off the two 30 amp connectors to a single 50 amp lead, which will plug into 50 amp service at RV parks. I will not be able to run the front AC off the generator, only when its plugged in, which will really be no inconvenience to us, since we virtually always are at RV parks with full hookups. The dash air on the Mercedes chassis is pretty effective in the front on the coach, while underway, which of course is where we are when on the road. This is not an inexpensive venture, but for us, it will make the Gemini so much more pleasant to use and be in. I am also adding an HWH leveling system, which is really expensive, but again, coming from a 41 foot DP that had all this stuff on it, we really miss it. The times I have had to pull a wheel or two on a jack pad, or short ramp to get more level, convinced me that for us the auto leveling system is the way to go.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #7

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Thanks Laco for the insight. I will look into adding a second AC unit. It is a pain using the stacking leveling blocks but for now I'll continue using them.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #8

THOR #9447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Bfdcheif, After using the Gemini this summer in warm weather, wife and I just don't feel one air conditioner is sufficient, at least not for us. I could keep the bedroom and the rear of the coach quite cool, and by running a fan in front and forcing warm air toward the rear, I could get some cooling up front, but not enough for us. I am having a second AC, identical to the existing one in the rear installed in front, it will go where the ceiling vent and fan currently are in front, which will replace the one in the bathroom. Since the Gemini only has 30 amp service, the front AC will be powered off a second 30 amp connector, which will mount right next to the existing one. I will run a Y connector off the two 30 amp connectors to a single 50 amp lead, which will plug into 50 amp service at RV parks. I will not be able to run the front AC off the generator, only when its plugged in, which will really be no inconvenience to us, since we virtually always are at RV parks with full hookups. The dash air on the Mercedes chassis is pretty effective in the front on the coach, while underway, which of course is where we are when on the road. This is not an inexpensive venture, but for us, it will make the Gemini so much more pleasant to use and be in. I am also adding an HWH leveling system, which is really expensive, but again, coming from a 41 foot DP that had all this stuff on it, we really miss it. The times I have had to pull a wheel or two on a jack pad, or short ramp to get more level, convinced me that for us the auto leveling system is the way to go.
Just wanted to know, will the HWH leveling system fit on a Gemini\Compass? My dealer thought it was too tight with where the tanks are.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 AM   #9

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Just wanted to know, will the HWH leveling system fit on a Gemini\Compass? My dealer thought it was too tight with where the tanks are.
Don't know about the 23's. Ours is a 24TX on the Mercedes chassis, and dealer spent about two hours on the phone with HWH measuring clearances under the chassis and concluded it will fit. Some I'm told need to have the exhaust system rerouted, but apparently mine does not. I believe the plan is to start installing Thursday or Friday this week, will know more as they progress.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:22 AM   #10

THOR #9447
Thank you for your reply. I might call Advance RV and see if E & P leveling systems will work. I know they do it on Class B not sure if are heavy enough for Class C.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #11

Model: COMPASS 23TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #15003
How has the leveling jacks worked out? We are thinking of getting them. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #12

Model: COMPASS 23TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #15003
Did you ever find a suitable leveling system? Lookign around for our 23TB. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2019, 02:48 AM   #13

State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Compass 23 TB

I have spoken to all of the major players in the levelling business and the only one that is available is not really levellers but stabilizers. The new full slide model has rear levellers only as it has to do with the Ford frontend design.
I will continue to use the lego blocks as that is the only way to level our coaches at this point, maybe one of the makers would look into doing something if enough Compass/Gemini owners asked.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 11-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #14

THOR #5821
I believe HWH makes kits for just about every chassis out there. That's what I had installed on my Gemini 24 TX, which is on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Its a fully automatic hydraulic leveling system, and after two years, its one of the best adds I did.