Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2017, 03:52 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #10125
Looking to Purchase Thor Axis, thoughts?

The wife and I are looking to purchase our first RV. Something to do weekend trips and occasional week trip. We've been looking for a month or two, looking for something under 27ft that we can keep in the driveway. We looked at the Compass/Gemini (bit too small) Forest River, Four Winds, all around the 24ft range.

Went to the local RV dealer today looking around and looked at a 2016 Thor Axis 25.2 that had 2600 miles on it. It was clean as new, well taken care of not a scratch inside or out, previous owner had auto levers installed. Everything functioned as it should and we really liked the solid surface countertops vs the laminated on the others we looked at.

Any Axis owners with pros/cons on this model? The price was really good on this one at $59k

Thanks for any input!

Old 11-26-2017, 04:28 AM   #2
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have a 2016 Axis 24.1 ... Love our Axis...with several floorplans to choose from, a person can get what works best for them. The 2016 was built on the Ford E450 chassis..6 speed transmission...you should verify this, as there have been some changes made. We all have made different mods and improvements. You want to check your interior walls, especially under the passenger side window..for evidence of leaks. There will be a bubble effect under the wallpaper if the unit has had a leak. Be aware, that the Seiki TV's which come with the Axis are not equal to other TV's (no QUAM) and many folks have replaced them. We have not had issues and remain using the Seikis...The Axxera radio up front, has been a problem for many, too... again...we have been fortunate and have not had to replace the radio. Appliances all seem to work well. We replaced our shower head with a pressure efficient one. Ron made a cutting board round to cover the kitchen sink. Beware, that the acrylic sink in the kitchen should not have a hot pan placed in it... The night shade curtains up front, have an inferior liner...we removed the liner and all is well...some folks have replaced them....that is all I have for now ! Have fun on your search !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:44 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy233 View Post
The wife and I are looking to purchase our first RV. Something to do weekend trips and occasional week trip. We've been looking for a month or two, looking for something under 27ft that we can keep in the driveway. We looked at the Compass/Gemini (bit too small) Forest River, Four Winds, all around the 24ft range.

Went to the local RV dealer today looking around and looked at a 2016 Thor Axis 25.2 that had 2600 miles on it. It was clean as new, well taken care of not a scratch inside or out, previous owner had auto levers installed. Everything functioned as it should and we really liked the solid surface countertops vs the laminated on the others we looked at.

Any Axis owners with pros/cons on this model? The price was really good on this one at $59k

Thanks for any input!
Our new Axis 24.1 had 2400 miles on it when we bought it in Jan of 2016 since they had to drive it out to CA from Indiana. Sounds like a good price. I would pay to have a professional RV inspector take a look and then make your decision. We still like ours and look forward to every trip. Yes, there will be little things to fix, tweek, etc., just like your house. I could list the things we have done but I was told something by our service advisor at a family run RV service center... Just because someone says something on the forum does not mean it is the answer for everyone. It does give you something to ponder though...
Old 11-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #10125
Thank you! yes, this one was clean as a new one, no signs of any leaks, I tested and turned on the tvs and radio, all seems to work fine, we saw this one not long before they were closing so we put a refundable deposit down on it and will go back next week for a more detailed inspection and hopefully be driving home with it!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #5

Model: Axis RUV 24.1
State: New York
THOR #9288
birdy233

hi birdy233,
We have had our 2018 Axis 24.1 just a few weeks now. We have driven it a few hundred miles and I think it handled well. It's a new learning process right now for us so all I can say is this site has a lot of folks who can give you advice on thor products and the Thor Axis as it's a stop for me when I have a question and we all know when you ate a newcomer you'll have a ton of questions to ask.
My take so far on our Axis...I think we did make a good decision and our dealership was easy , friendly and professional the entire purchase time. Good luck!
K9piper
Old 11-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Hi birdie,
We use to have the 2016 Axis 24.1 but recently trade for more space with a Hurricane (there are 3 of us and we like to take longer trips). The Axis was a pretty nice rig and was good size for 2 people who don't spend extended time in it. It was easy to take places and park. $59k sounds like a fair price given the low mileage. If you're buying from a dealer, I'd try to negotiate a steering stabilizer like a Safe-T-Plus installation into the deal as our Axis tended to wonder on the road without it. Also, get them to throw in the 30amp surge protector and maybe even the drain hose. Just a thought