Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2021, 11:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: California
THOR #11049
My 29M always smells bad

We have a Windsport 29M and it always smells kinda bad inside the coach. We've used it many times over the 3+ years we've owned it. I've flushed it black and gray tracks many times and it still smells a bit every time I walk in the door.

This week I noticed that I can smell the same stale odor when I open the Camp side storage below the outside TV.

Can anyone provide a solution so we can enjoy our motorhome experiences to the fullest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Old 07-10-2021, 11:30 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
You need to better describe the smell.. Is it like sewer smell or stale sink drain smell? More information please.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:39 PM   #3

THOR #11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
You need to better describe the smell.. Is it like sewer smell or stale sink drain smell? More information please.
I think it's more like stale sink drain smell.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:39 PM   #4

THOR #11049
I also don't understand why I smell it in the storage area?
Old 07-10-2021, 11:47 PM   #5

THOR #4488
I have dealt with various odors throughout my years and generally found two items that always solved the problem.

First was replacing the sewer vent cover on the roof with the 360 Siphon:

360 Siphon® Roof Vent Cap - White (Gen 2) - Lippert.webloc

That helped lift the odors out of the sewer tank, preventing it from drifting back down inside the walls along side the stack pipe.

Secondly, I removed the Air Admittance Valve, throughly cleaned it and reinstalled it with teflon tape on the threads. They are often installed with no thread sealant and loose enough that they seep smells around them.

There are other possibilities, but these two are the answers to 95% of the odor issues.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:52 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I agree more info is needed.

A 3d drawing from Thor is best.

But if you accept guesses here are few things to nibble on.

1. You need to isolate on whether it is black or gray.
2. Is it possible to clean out both and stop using until you can confirm the smell is gone? They both should be drained dry.
3. Start using the one that you do not think is the problem be patient to ensure the smell does not return.
4. If you are good so far then take your drawings and find out where ever vent / fitting is. Once you have eyeball then including the one on the roof, start running fresh water with strong pleasant fragrance.
5. Try running water down the vent from roof. My money says you will find a leak in the plumbing that needs to be sealed.
6. We use 8 oz of Thetford for a 40 gal tank in the black tank and if we forget to pour it in , we will know it soon.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:52 PM   #7

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkonga View Post
I also don't understand why I smell it in the storage area?
The storage areas can be from the smell from the stack on the roof just drifting back down along side the pipe. Once you remove the old sewer vent cap you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. The hole in the roof is larger than the pipe...the 360 Siphon cap eliminates that issue with a funnel shape pipe that fits into your vent pipe and seals to the underside of the new cap. It also comes with a screen that prevents insects from getting into the vent pipe. I was very pleased with the design and how well it works.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:08 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Could it be the smell from a dead mouse?
I had a Spyder that enedwd up with a mouse corpse under all the bodywork, and it wasn't pleasant!
Old 07-11-2021, 12:12 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
I have dealt with various odors throughout my years and generally found two items that always solved the problem.

First was replacing the sewer vent cover on the roof with the 360 Siphon:

360 Siphon® Roof Vent Cap - White (Gen 2) - Lippert.webloc

That helped lift the odors out of the sewer tank, preventing it from drifting back down inside the walls along side the stack pipe.

Secondly, I removed the Air Admittance Valve, throughly cleaned it and reinstalled it with teflon tape on the threads. They are often installed with no thread sealant and loose enough that they seep smells around them.

There are other possibilities, but these two are the answers to 95% of the odor issues.
That 360 Siphon got my attention. I didn't catch why the 360 pull air out and the regular pulls air in?

I recall once I took a water hose on the roof to fill black and gray tanks. I was just trying to ensure the vent pipes were not clogged. But when I stopped the water flow on the nozzle it would push a spray of water and strong odor back out as if it was a Volcano? Both vent pipes did this? So I assumed the flow of air is already out, so this 360 Siphon has me really curious.

if it were not for having to cut the existing pipe, I would try one myself but this seems like a mod that I would let a dealer do?

On air admittance valve? Is that Gray tank only? I have seen something under the sink, but never new what it was?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-11-2021, 12:37 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
The storage areas can be from the smell from the stack on the roof just drifting back down along side the pipe. Once you remove the old sewer vent cap you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. The hole in the roof is larger than the pipe...the 360 Siphon cap eliminates that issue with a funnel shape pipe that fits into your vent pipe and seals to the underside of the new cap. It also comes with a screen that prevents insects from getting into the vent pipe. I was very pleased with the design and how well it works.
I do almost the same thing except I replace my AAVs with good ones from the orange store and use the Cyclone vent on both tank vents.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:40 AM   #11

THOR #11049
I bought two of these cyclone rotating plumbing vents. I have not yet installed them but I'm hoping this resolved the issue. Any thoughts about these? Are these the same/similar to the 360 valves some have mentioned in this thread?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68B794E6-B1CB-4223-9B4A-B3F94960C8F6.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	31988  
Old 07-11-2021, 12:56 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We put a pair of Shark fin vent covers on top of our Outlaw.
Besides looking really cool: we felt prepared for Shark,week...
And we never had any unwanted odors escape the tanks.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:44 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I do almost the same thing except I replace my AAVs with good ones from the orange store and use the Cyclone vent on both tank vents.
What is the orange store? Or better what is considered a good AAV? Not sure how I know if I would need one, but if this a prevention thing; I am all for it?

Quote:
I bought two of these cyclone rotating plumbing vents. I have not yet installed them but I'm hoping this resolved the issue. Any thoughts about these? Are these the same/similar to the 360 valves some have mentioned in this thread?
I was not aware of any of these until these post. I have just did a little research and both are considered the best in the industry. I found this site that had a very good comparison, but if the ACE has endorsed Cyclone.... it is good enough for me

https://www.camperupgrade.com/360-siphon-vs-cyclone/

I also like the Cyclone because it is easier to follow how it works with the wind, it has resin to withstand UV (my RV is outside in Sun under tree uncovered), and the Cyclone installation seems like something I might try. I don't know if I need them, but I may order two to have in the RV like you have done. Maybe when RV is being serviced, I can sneak it in for the Dealer to do
Old 07-11-2021, 01:45 AM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
During and shortly after flushing my black tank, I get a slight heavy sewer smell in the rig. But after I'm done and flush some Tide liquid, Calgon and a couple gallons of water down the toilet it goes away and smells "spring fresh".

I can vouch for the 360 siphon... I can smell a mosquito fart from 100 yards away, and I think that siphon vent works great!
Old 07-11-2021, 01:59 AM   #15

THOR #11049
Thanks Bob
Old 07-11-2021, 02:00 AM   #16

THOR #11049
Thank you
Old 07-11-2021, 02:01 AM   #17

THOR #11049
[QUOTE=Chateau_Nomad;303145]During and shortly after flushing my black tank, I get a slight heavy sewer smell in the rig. But after I'm done and flush some Tide liquid, Calgon and a couple gallons of water down the toilet it goes away and smells "spring fresh".

I can vouch for the 360 siphon... I can smell a mosquito fart from 100 yards away, and I think that siphon vent works great![/QUOTE

Thanks you]
Old 07-11-2021, 02:32 AM   #18

THOR #4488
I'm sure the cyclone works well with a breeze. The problem is when the air is still. The design of the 360 Siphon prevents the odor from rising up the vent tube then drifting back down along side the tube, getting smell into the wall. The funnel design prevents this.

It's very easy to replace the old cap...the hardest part is removing the old caulk.

The air admittance valve is located under the sink...it's an easy fix/replace as well.

There are many things you can do to help control stink in the tank but bottom line is they are designed to do what they do without odor. I'm convinced the AAV and the sewer cap are the most likely culprits.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2021, 03:01 AM   #19

THOR #11049
Quote:
I'm sure the cyclone works well with a breeze. The problem is when the air is still. The design of the 360 Siphon prevents the odor from rising up the vent tube then drifting back down along side the tube, getting smell into the wall. The funnel design prevents this.

It's very easy to replace the old cap...the hardest part is removing the old caulk.

The air admittance valve is located under the sink...it's an easy fix/replace as well.

There are many things you can do to help control stink in the tank but bottom line is they are designed to do what they do without odor. I'm convinced the AAV and the sewer cap are the most likely culprits.

Good luck!
Thanks, I'll have to check out the 360 too!
Old 07-11-2021, 03:25 AM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Those are what I mentioned in my post above yours. I've used them in previous Travel Trailers (TTs) as well as my current MH. They work well and I've never had a issue with them.

For DLOLDMAN: the "orange store" is Home Depot. The "blue store" is Lowes. I don't know what color Menards is.

A "good" AAV is any retail purchased AAV that replaces whatever the coach builder used. Made a big difference in previous TTs as well as this MH.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote