Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2019, 02:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #16584
New!!!

Just purchased THOR ACE 30.4
This is our first! So far,,, water heater wasn’t working, shower pipe was broken and leaked everywhere, now the awning lights have already quit working... ugh Is this how it’s going to be? 😭😭

Old 09-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #2

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the problems. There always seems to be something that isn't right with all new rv's. Ours was the same way, but after going back to the dealer to fix them we are really enjoying ours. I'm sure the same thing will work out for you. Make a list of everything that's wrong and contact your dealer.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
That's how it's going to be if that's how you want it to be.
Awning lights aren't even a question of neccesity and you can catch shower at a truck stop if you just can't skip a day.
There's about a 100% chance you're just not working the heater correctly(OK, incorrectly, but in the way it really works. No one really knows why there's a hot cold mixer on the user end except to comfort folks by making it look like a home unit)

It's a happy adventure 99% of the time, and simply an adventure for that last 1%.

Whatever has broken on your fixed place land home in the last 20 years, divide/accelerate that 20 years by the constant earthquake of driving down the road. What has broken in your home will surely break more quickly in your MotorHome by a factor of 20.

Set the temp you want the water to be on your digital control, and NEVER touch the cold valve in the shower. (we thought ours wasn't working either. This forum cured us from a LOT of wrong thoughts. Once we got the water temp right, the plastic swarf from construction was blocking the shower from flowing water. The forum said to take screw end off of the shower head. Any electrical failures, the forum told me where to find the breaker)

Be happy. Join us in our rolling education about electromechanics and thermodynamics and pvc glue and how wood screws breed and then throw the babies onto the middle of the floor to implore you to find them a home.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
My water heater had a wire that was unplugged from the factory. Ground wire it looks like. Gas part of the heater worked.

They left the front panel open and I could see a loose wire.

The demo guy tried to lie and say it was working. He wanted to show us how hot it gets and when he tried for a couple minutes he just jumped to the next topic. Asked him if it ever got hot and he was like uh yeah.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkmacbevo View Post
ugh Is this how it’s going to be? 😭😭
No, you'll eventually get it all sorted out.

It's frustrating that the rig was allowed to leave the manufacture in that condition, equally as frustrating that the dealer didn't fix it before they offered it for sale. But that's the way it is.

When possible, it's easier to fix it yourself. Don't sweat the little things, it'll just wear you out.

Good luck, Lkmacbevo!
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #6

THOR #16584
Thanks!!

We just sucked it up and enjoyed the weekend! We will get it all worked out eventually.... I guess once you get a “setup routine” it will get easier... Thanks for the encouragement!! Grandkids and all had a great time!!! At least the TV Worked and we got to watch our Longhorns put up a win!!!
Old 09-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Quote:
We just sucked it up and enjoyed the weekend! We will get it all worked out eventually.... I guess once you get a “setup routine” it will get easier... Thanks for the encouragement!! Grandkids and all had a great time!!! At least the TV Worked and we got to watch our Longhorns put up a win!!!
Grandkids always help to put things in a positive perspective (unless it's concerning broccoli or bed time...)
Old 09-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Things will get better...
In the meantime: Welcome to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Quote:
This is our first! So far,,, water heater wasn’t working, shower pipe was broken and leaked everywhere, now the awning lights have already quit working... ugh Is this how it’s going to be? 😭😭
Yes, that's how it's going to be and that's also the fun of it...for most of us. You will probably fix those items yourself. Then you think "hey, I fixed that". Then your confidence grows and you start doing mods and before you know it, you can't wait for something else to break so you can "fix it and make it BETTER". To a lot of us, that's part of the adventure. For some folks that "full time" in their RVs, it may not be as much fun. But for those of us that use them as a "recreational" vehicle, it's really a toy and we are the kids playing with them. Of course, we have to take them apart and put them together the way we want. Some times they just fall apart, probably because we subject them to hurricane force winds and earthquake conditions on the road. Try doing that with your B&M home. Just relax and go with it. RVs are certainly money pits, but is it worth it??? Hell Yes! Happy camping and hope to meet you on the road. Welcome!
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
My coach (also a plant 750 coach) has a two amp fuse in-line just behind the light switch.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome! Remember all the "learnin" you did with your first home? It's that all over again.

You can expect to continue learning as long as you own an RV. Some things you'll do yourself, and some (especially under warranty) you'll turn over to someone else. Your new friends here have probably seen about everything that you'll deal with.

Happy trials!

Oops, I meant Happy Trails!
Old 09-03-2019, 03:58 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Congrats on your new A.C.E.! We have one (a 2013) that we bought in May. Welcome to the forum. So much to learn and enjoy.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
...snip...
Set the temp you want the water to be on your digital control, and NEVER touch the cold valve in the shower. (we thought ours wasn't working either. This forum cured us from a LOT of wrong thoughts. Once we got the water temp right, the plastic swarf from construction was blocking the shower from flowing water. The forum said to take screw end off of the shower head. Any electrical failures, the forum told me where to find the breaker)

Be happy. Join us in our rolling education about electromechanics and thermodynamics and pvc glue and how wood screws breed and then throw the babies onto the middle of the floor to implore you to find them a home.
Quote:

Welcome Lkmacbevo! That's the attitude keeps many of us going with these challenges on wheels.

SWARF ?? Ha! Thanks duckface! I had to look that up and there was a word for that cutting debris, so of like CHAFF from milling. I never heard or saw it before and my major was Industrial Technology (pre-computer use of that word, don't get me started).
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote