Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #2017
New 2016 ACE 27.1 Owners

We picked up our unit on Friday and took it to a state park in Russellville, AR for the weekend to work out the needs/wants. Thunderstorms early Sunday was an experience for a first-timer. Overall we had a good experience. I had done my research to make sure I had everything I needed for the first trip. Did pretty good but discovered a handful of things during the trip.

A few minor issues that I am trying to rectify this week.

1. Windshield wiper fluid pump is not working
2. Hole in exhaust fan screen in bedroom
3. Screen door will not stay latched
4. A handful of nicks on the flooring
5. Found several screws on floor. Don't know where they go.
6. It is NOT satellite ready like I was told. It has three TV including outdoor and I have been unsuccessful in getting the dish recognized by the receiver.
7. Various rattles (tracked down several)

Taking it to Camping World where we bought it today to have technician take a look.

I am handling #6 with an RF modulator and running one receiver to all TVs (have to watch same channel, but easiest and cleanest setup). I will post pics after I am done.

I had to disconnect service in a downpour because of schedule. I have already bought a raincoat and Crocs to go do my dirty work.

The surge protector has already paid for itself during power outage in storm.

Water pressure regulator was not needed where we stayed. Not hardly enough pressure to dribble water out of shower head.

I need to get a step rug for the entry step. Tired of tracking gravel and dirt in during wet periods.

When the canopy is extended, there are a row of LED lights in cylinder. I did not know this and it was not pointed out in anything I read. Plenty of light at night to see well underneath.

Dumping black and grey tanks. A work in progress. Enough said.

Overhead bunk load limit is extremely low for practical use by my family. I am looking on how to increase this to 350-400lbs.

The radio unit in back bedroom has a weather alert radio. Didn't know until a Thunderstorm Warning was issued. Great feature and greatly appreciated. Even if we did discover at 5am.

Very tall commode. My short DW cannot touch the floor with her feet. The rest of us 6+ footers didn't notice.

Turn on refrigerator/freezer at least four hours in advance to cool down.

Make sure fresh water tank drain is closed. The knob is inside the bedroom under left wardrobe.

The inflate/deflate air mattress is nice and comfy.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I think you discovered exactly what satellite ready means .

There is a switch or should be just inside the door to turn off the leds on awning just in case you didn't know.

I have seen others post about adding a support under the bunk, not sure if they are using the table post hole between the seats to support the upright or not though.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. Mine is the 29.3 so some things are different and I dont have any knowledge to comment on those.

Good luck with camping world, bought ours there, worst experience in the world. Got the so called Marcus Response team involved......as much of a disaster as working with camping world. :-P

Enjoy your coach! It will all get easier and common after a few times.

PS: don't bother looking for where the screws belong, they are most likely extras they dropped and never cleaned up. I have a hardware store stocked from factories lol
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:17 AM   #3

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34f
THOR #1845
Welcome fellow Arkansan! We are also 1st timers and it sounds as if you were much better prepared for your 1st outing than we were! We have a years experience and all issues are resolved (for now) LOL ! You will love seeing our great state in a motor home and of course branching out across our great country!! Our only 2 long trips have been to Utah and Florida. Went to St. George,Ut. to compete in the World Senior Games (basketball) and spent a few days in Colorado on the way back. In Dec. we went to Naples,Fl. Please post what you do to resolve your satellite issue as we are thinking about getting service.
Happy RVing !
Donnie & Becky
P.S. - Becky has the same toilet height problem LOL
Old 05-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #892
Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post

Very tall commode. My short DW cannot touch the floor with her feet. The rest of us 6+ footers didn't notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shooter View Post
Donnie & Becky
P.S. - Becky has the same toilet height problem LOL
Mod for those of us who are too short for the NBA:

Old 05-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

THOR #1620
Lol, that's about the best use of that drawer I have seen yet.

I use directv for satellite access. If you are trying to connect it to the outside cable connector that won't work without some modification. I mounted my dome on top the roof and drilled thru and brought the cable down. Just buy a cover plate for the cable to seal up.

If you get a chance post how you are trying to connect and we can get you fixed up.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

THOR #2017
Thanks for the awning LED switch info, Thor293.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

THOR #2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Lol, that's about the best use of that drawer I have seen yet.

I use directv for satellite access. If you are trying to connect it to the outside cable connector that won't work without some modification. I mounted my dome on top the roof and drilled thru and brought the cable down. Just buy a cover plate for the cable to seal up.

If you get a chance post how you are trying to connect and we can get you fixed up.
I will be doing this modification tomorrow. I will take pictures and post links to the components I had to use. It appears that it will cost me about $40 to hookup and display same channel on every TV.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #8

THOR #2017
We just got done with our second weekend. Dry camping this time in a parking lot. No issues, but some new things have been added to the warranty work list.

1. The plastic wall in the shower has a slight buckle at the bottom and is allowing moisture and/or water behind it. We are worried about mold and mildew.

2. The fascia board on the very back wall of the coach came off. It is at the top of the back wall and hides some wiring and insulation.

3. My driver front tire has a slow leak. Apparently this existed when we picked up the coach. I asked that they check the pressure at that time and they told me they added air to this tire then. Time to get it replaced or fixed.

4. The linoleum near the top of the entry stairs has a buckle in it. This is a minor problem but needs to be fixed while under warranty.

I am hoping that Camping World in Lowell won't have our RV more than us. We are embarking on a week long and then two week long trek starting in one week. I took it in last week for several fixes and they say they have to take pictures for warranty and then it takes three weeks to get parts if needed. Then you have to schedule to bring your coach back to get the repairs. This seems like an exorbitant amount of time to get warranty work done. Shouldn't the dealer have a small array of parts to fix some of these common issues?

I don't think our expectation of this NEW coach being road ready when we pick it up. Am I not being realistic?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #9

THOR #1620
Most of those are typical fix it issues. In my opinion items like that can be fixed with a screw nail or silicone. The tire can be taken to a tie shop. Your insistence to have the dealer fix it will just end up ticking you off when they have it for most of the summer. Do yourself a favor and fix on your own with the satisfaction it is done right and no loss of coach use. Save the dealer for serious issues. JMHO
Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #10

THOR #2017
Fair enough, thor293. I have been reading the forums extensively and found several people having the same issues. I agree that a $30 tire repair by a reputable tire shop is cheaper in the long run than a warranty appointment at CW. Some of the things I can handle myself, but some things need a professional (aka CW).
Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

THOR #1620
Yea I know what you mean. It would just be a shame to waste time to take your coach to them and chances are they won't do a better job than you would. As far as the tire I would try sending the bill to CW or Thor and see what happens. Even at $30 though you probably couldn't drive to CW and back for that.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Yea I know what you mean. It would just be a shame to waste time to take your coach to them and chances are they won't do a better job than you would. As far as the tire I would try sending the bill to CW or Thor and see what happens. Even at $30 though you probably couldn't drive to CW and back for that.
Call Thor and tell them you have a leak in the tire which was reported but not repaired when the coach was picked up. Also tell them that you do not believe the coach can be safely driven to the dealer for repair due to distance (in my case the dealer is 80 miles one way). They should authorize the repair at other than the dealer and reimburse you for the cost. I found that they will not reimburse the costs of repairs at other than an authorized service center unless they authorize the repair first. Also, do you have road hazard on the tires? That is another option.

As to other items, I found that calling Thor and discussing the problems often results in then sending me the parts so I can complete the repairs. This way I do not have a 160 mile round trip to the dealer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:04 AM   #13

State: Colorado
THOR #1431
Screen door fix?

Please let us know if they fix the screen door. We just discovered the same problem on our brand new unit. I thought we did a thorough PDI, but missed this minor annoyance.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:00 AM   #14

State: Colorado
THOR #1431
You said the air mattress was comfy. Did you have two adults sleeping there? We have not tried it, but thought looked pretty small.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #15

THOR #2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nota doc View Post
Please let us know if they fix the screen door. We just discovered the same problem on our brand new unit. I thought we did a thorough PDI, but missed this minor annoyance.
I fixed this one myself. I would take pictures, but it is at the shop. :-(

I got a clear plastic lid from a plastic container and cut three pieces into ~1"x3" pieces. I then removed the black plastic bracket that is used to for holding the post from the screen door. This is mounted in the door jam and can be removed by loosening the two screws securing it. I then placed these plastic strips under it and remounted to the door jam. Voila! My screen door now latches!

I used plastic because I did not want to use a material that would deteriorate or rust.

This took me about 10 minutes. Mark this one off of the list.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #16

THOR #2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nota doc View Post
You said the air mattress was comfy. Did you have two adults sleeping there? We have not tried it, but thought looked pretty small.
Everyone in my family is >6ft tall except for my wife. Therefore, the only bed that has multiple people in it is the king bed in back.

My 6ft 14yo daughter uses the air mattress and seems to like it. It is very handy with the inflate/deflate pump in it. I happened to go by Cabela's while out this weekend and picked up an extra (Inotek) mattress for $39.99. It is almost identical other than being blue instead of the grey color. They did have a "pillow top" version which would have been about 3" taller than the OEM one, but I chose not to get this one.

I also took out the "shipping" screw from the wood cover of the longer portion of the couch and placed some shelf liner on the particle board so I can use it to store her bedding and the deflated air mattress itself. It worked well for this purpose.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #17

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
I fixed this one myself. I would take pictures, but it is at the shop. :-(

I got a clear plastic lid from a plastic container and cut three pieces into ~1"x3" pieces. I then removed the black plastic bracket that is used to for holding the post from the screen door. This is mounted in the door jam and can be removed by loosening the two screws securing it. I then placed these plastic strips under it and remounted to the door jam. Voila! My screen door now latches!

I used plastic because I did not want to use a material that would deteriorate or rust.

This took me about 10 minutes. Mark this one off of the list.
Great fix unwired!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #18

THOR #1620
We had 2 issues this weekend with our 29.3 and it was just as we were leaving. First the slide wouldn't move or engage, call Thor (we were actually in Elkhart) They had me put controller in bypass mode. That didn't work and they called someone else more familiar with the system. In meantime I called lippert, they told me to jumper 12v to the retract pin on the controller. I opted to wait till hearing from Thor again. In the mean time I had taken loose the RET and EXT wires from the controller to check for voltage, I put them back on and then the slide worked. Thor had me take it by a service guy in LaGrande Indiana and it was on our way home. Of course slide worked great while there and Jay thought perhaps removing the wires had reset the controller. Still a little skeptical on this as the bypass is suppose to let you pull the slide in and it didn't work. :-/ Working ok for now so we will see.

Other thing was once we got the slide in the jacks wouldnt go down. Somehow it went into what they call Latch mode. I had to turn off and back on and press all four arrow keys at once and then jack retract and that worked.

When it rains it pours. Bottom line all is working and I now how to trouble shoot these systems enough to hopefully avoid delay. Also found a guy who I Will most likely take my rv too should I ever have to have factory service even though he is 5 hours from me. Straight up dude with good ethics! Twin Lakes RV Repair. Jay Douglas is the owner 260-562-2372 I highly recommend him if you are in the area and need something done.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my shakedown cruise earlier this year, when arriving at our campsite in Mt. Pleasant, SC, my slide died while extending. The slide was partially retracted by roughly 6 inches when one side quit working and the slide jammed. I found out the slide controllers have a test function with a flashing light and the number of flashes will generally identify the problem. The codes are printed on the slide controllers. In my case the slide cable came loose from one of the slide motors because Thor failed to install the bulb seal which serves as the wire chase up the slide wall. After 1500 miles the wire decided it was time to unplug itself.

When the slide override would not work to retract the slide Thor authorized a mobile tech and when he arrived the following morning he had me up and running in under 15 minutes. It then took Thor over 30 days to reimburse the 90.00 dollars for the service call and 3 attempts to get me the correct bulb seal so I could install it myself.

I went out to RV Service Reviews and posted a review for the mobile service tech.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I bought a new Hurricane 27k last year which is the same model with different finish. Here is my report http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...html#post11702
I also found screws here and there, even found one in a light fixture. I had to re do the Mircrowave mounts and the plumbing under the fridge for the sink drain. There were many other issues and the RV spent about 7 or 8 weeks in the shops over the course of several months getting things fixed. I guess it is just the way it goes.
It is very important to get your alignment done as many people have posted it was off quite a bit and caused tire damage. I had that same experience. Thor will reimburse you if you prod them. In my case it was out 5/8 in so made the handling much better as well. Happy trails.