Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2022, 07:56 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #26755
Hello from Chicagoland!

New member here. Going to retire in a few months, downsize the house, and look for an RV for me and my wife to see the country. At 6' 3" and 230 lbs I tried to squeeze in to some Class C's for driving and was really cramped. Then I got to check out a Thor Vegas. Driver seating is great for me but not sure about the rest of the configuration.

I am looking at the Twin/King rear setup. Anybody else with my size have any advise on this configuration as far as pros/cons?

Old 05-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Welcome to the forum Chicago! I'm similar in size to you at 6' 2" and 240 lbs but I'm long in the torso with a 32" inseam - I'm used to my feet hanging off RV beds when I'm not home in my California King bed... Sit and lay in as many as you can to make sure they fit.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:27 PM   #3

THOR #26755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Welcome to the forum Chicago! I'm similar in size to you at 6' 2" and 240 lbs but I'm long in the torso with a 32" inseam - I'm used to my feet hanging off RV beds when I'm not home in my California King bed... Sit and lay in as many as you can to make sure they fit.
Thanks Otto. Kind of used to my feet hanging off the ends of beds!
Old 05-07-2022, 12:08 AM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 05-07-2022, 12:48 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Congratulations and welcome
Old 05-07-2022, 03:45 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard Chicago. North or South side? If from the south side Terry's RV in Frankfort handles several makes of MH's including the Thor Axis. They also rent motorhomes. We bought our 2018, 27.2 ACE from them after it was used for a season as one of their rentals.
Renting a couple different units might be a good way to get the feel for what RV works best for you.
Enjoy the journey!
Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:09 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
6'4"
220lbs.(ok, 230 but I'm working on it)
I sleep as twin beds and use the passenger side bed.
The first cure thought of was to cut a hole in the side of the closet. There's plenty of room to cut a 2x2ft foot-hole.
But
I took off the miserable accordion door and sleep with my feet in the hall.
I'm perfectly comfortable with it, so no hole hass been cut.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined our group.

Paul
Old 05-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hey Chicago welcome check out the vegas 25.6
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:08 PM   #10

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
My experience in the Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago925 View Post
New member here. Going to retire in a few months, downsize the house, and look for an RV for me and my wife to see the country. At 6' 3" and 230 lbs I tried to squeeze in to some Class C's for driving and was really cramped. Then I got to check out a Thor Vegas. Driver seating is great for me but not sure about the rest of the configuration.

I am looking at the Twin/King rear setup. Anybody else with my size have any advise on this configuration as far as pros/cons?
I am your size. I sleep in the passenger side bed with my head toward the front and my feet slightly on the diagonal on the center cushion. We replaced both mattresses and made a new center cushion to match the level of the mattress. Overall, it's just fine.

I've also tried sleeping the opposite way with the accordion door removed and my feet hanging over the corner of the bed. That was also OK-personal preference is option 1.

Shower space is tight in the Vegas, but manageable. It's something one gets used to.

Plan on scrapping the jacknife sofa and installing recliners. It makes a world of difference in your comfort.

Driving position and space in the cab is just fine.

Read the comments of others on this model and it's sister, the Axis. It needs some handling improvements and better sound proofing in the cab. Also, plan on doing some improvements to keep heat out in order to help the A/C on really hot days. Most all of these deficiencies exist on many RV's.

I think I've covered most of the negatives. On the positive side, we have owned it nearly three years with very few problems in 18,000 miles. We're happy with our purchase.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:46 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
I am your size. I sleep in the passenger side bed with my head toward the front and my feet slightly on the diagonal on the center cushion. We replaced both mattresses and made a new center cushion to match the level of the mattress. Overall, it's just fine.

I've also tried sleeping the opposite way with the accordion door removed and my feet hanging over the corner of the bed. That was also OK-personal preference is option 1.

Shower space is tight in the Vegas, but manageable. It's something one gets used to.

Plan on scrapping the jacknife sofa and installing recliners. It makes a world of difference in your comfort.

Driving position and space in the cab is just fine.

Read the comments of others on this model and it's sister, the Axis. It needs some handling improvements and better sound proofing in the cab. Also, plan on doing some improvements to keep heat out in order to help the A/C on really hot days. Most all of these deficiencies exist on many RV's.

I think I've covered most of the negatives. On the positive side, we have owned it nearly three years with very few problems in 18,000 miles. We're happy with our purchase.
2020 vegas owner..very happy $22k miles ..
Very few issues..use the car sun blocker in Windows
Traveled to over 25 states and lived in it for 7 months
NO CHASSIS MODIFICATIONS
Old 05-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
2020 vegas owner..very happy $22k miles
Traveled to over 25 states and lived in it for 7 months
NO CHASSIS MODIFICATIONS
ABILITY reigns true.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #13

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Welcome Home

Welcome aboard the Thor train.

What you should be looking for depends on what you intend on doing with it. If you are going to go full time get the biggest newest class A you can afford. You will be glad to have all that room after living in an RV for a few months. The ride, quietness, space and accompaniments are directly proportionate to your cost. In other words the more you pay the more you get. Thor has some great floor plans among it's class A line up for the past several years. Find a floorplan you like and look for a gently used model to save money. These are great for spending weeks or months somewhere before moving on the another location. They are also easy to pull a vehicle behind.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:01 PM   #14

THOR #26755
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Welcome aboard Chicago. North or South side? If from the south side Terry's RV in Frankfort handles several makes of MH's including the Thor Axis. They also rent motorhomes. We bought our 2018, 27.2 ACE from them after it was used for a season as one of their rentals.
Renting a couple different units might be a good way to get the feel for what RV works best for you.
Enjoy the journey!
Mark
Thanks Mark. South sider. We went to Terry's a few weeks ago to poke around. We saw a 2021 Vegas there. I asked about rentals and got some into.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:06 PM   #15

THOR #26755
Really appreciate the info all. Thanks so much!!
Old 05-11-2022, 10:33 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #11771
2018 Thor Vegas 6’2”

We have traveled in three years 66,000 miles in our motorcoach named RACHEAL. That being said, we have a set up twin and king, we took out the RV mattresses and put our own twin mattresses in it made a world of difference.
We have found that you don’t spend a lot of time in the RV when living full-time. I to sleep on the passenger side and I’m a side sleeper and usually curl up a little, it’s quite comfortable we’ve never use the shower.
We too are from Chicago and we just left the state and now we’re full-time Florida winner South Dakota summer. A piece of advice I could give you is to pre-schedule your maintenance take your RV for 1000 mile Breakin bring it back to the shop with your list of fixes those 90 days are the most important. As a result we have had minimal problems after the initial 90 days. However during those first 90 days we had seven pages of repairs, one extremely critical was the way the tanks were strapped through wood and the black tank fell fell while we were driving fortunately it was while pulling into a flying J.
Those first 90 days we put 10,000 miles on our vehicle and I’m grateful for this forum as it helped us in many ways

Enjoy your rig but if you’re not gonna use it those first 90 days I would wait
Old 05-12-2022, 07:31 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
2019 Vegas 25.5

6'4 235lbs

Twin beds in the rear...makes into a spacious king. Large rear bathroom w/ decent size shower.

We really enjoy the floorplan which sleeps our family of 6 and offers unmatched seating / lounging space.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #18

THOR #26755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiflog18 View Post
We have traveled in three years 66,000 miles in our motorcoach named RACHEAL. That being said, we have a set up twin and king, we took out the RV mattresses and put our own twin mattresses in it made a world of difference.
We have found that you don’t spend a lot of time in the RV when living full-time. I to sleep on the passenger side and I’m a side sleeper and usually curl up a little, it’s quite comfortable we’ve never use the shower.
We too are from Chicago and we just left the state and now we’re full-time Florida winner South Dakota summer. A piece of advice I could give you is to pre-schedule your maintenance take your RV for 1000 mile Breakin bring it back to the shop with your list of fixes those 90 days are the most important. As a result we have had minimal problems after the initial 90 days. However during those first 90 days we had seven pages of repairs, one extremely critical was the way the tanks were strapped through wood and the black tank fell fell while we were driving fortunately it was while pulling into a flying J.
Those first 90 days we put 10,000 miles on our vehicle and I’m grateful for this forum as it helped us in many ways

Enjoy your rig but if you’re not gonna use it those first 90 days I would wait
Great advice - thanks Tiflog18.