Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
New 2018 Axis owner

Hello everyone,

Just picked up the Axis and love the idea, but the execution disturbs me. I've been repairing serious stuff since my Saturday pick up (water intrusion etc...). I was a former GM Certified ASE dealer mechanic (and being OCD/anal doesn't help when it comes to rvs) and I expect others to take pride in their work, as I do. But, it's obvious to me that THOR is more concerned about volume selling, rather than having volume AND quality. I will detail recent fixes in the proper forum sections.

I've also advised THOR to actually READ these forums. EVERYONE should be replacing those rear tail light lense (so-called) triple gaskets (cheap foam) from Command Electronics (will detail in repair forum, as my fix will last 50 years and is the cleanest way to seal the lenses). If not, I would have delamination in the rear section. I also have a 1/4 inch gap in a foam gasket used on the exterior AC receptacle. No doubt this is leaking as well. I will be addressing that today, along with why my house batteries that aren't being charged while the engine is running (poss bad solenoid I'm assuming).

Yesterday, my generator wouldn't start (breaker was tripped). Now, I have to find out why it tripped in the first place. Haven't even used the RV yet. Just the AC unit.

This week I will also be adding pre-ordered front/rear Hellwig anti-sway bars, Bilsteins all around and a Bilstein steering stabilyzer. I read on this forum about the Axis being all over the road. Sure enough, it was. White knuckle driving the whole way. THOR has refused to align my AXIS per this forum's specs, so I will do it myself. The E-series steering box has always been loose over the years, so proper suspension and steering geometry is paramount. THOR says they aligned the AXIS per Ford specs. Funny, I didn't know Ford had specs specifically for RVs.

Anyway, I wanted to say Hi, and be a resource for anyone having similar problems. This forum is awesome!

AJ

Old 11-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #9612
Congrads on your new RV...alot of what u list is the norm unfortunately, I am not much of a mechanic so have to take mine in, took me about a year to get everything fixed an the upgrades completed, now I have convinced that I am good to go anywhere.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #3

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
Hello everyone,

Just picked up the Axis and love the idea, but the execution disturbs me. I've been repairing serious stuff since my Saturday pick up (water intrusion etc...). I was a former GM Certified ASE dealer mechanic (and being OCD/anal doesn't help when it comes to rvs) and I expect others to take pride in their work, as I do. But, it's obvious to me that THOR is more concerned about volume selling, rather than having volume AND quality. I will detail recent fixes in the proper forum sections.

I've also advised THOR to actually READ these forums. EVERYONE should be replacing those rear tail light lense (so-called) triple gaskets (cheap foam) from Command Electronics (will detail in repair forum, as my fix will last 50 years and is the cleanest way to seal the lenses). If not, I would have delamination in the rear section. I also have a 1/4 inch gap in a foam gasket used on the exterior AC receptacle. No doubt this is leaking as well. I will be addressing that today, along with why my house batteries that aren't being charged while the engine is running (poss bad solenoid I'm assuming).

Yesterday, my generator wouldn't start (breaker was tripped). Now, I have to find out why it tripped in the first place. Haven't even used the RV yet. Just the AC unit.

This week I will also be adding pre-ordered front/rear Hellwig anti-sway bars, Bilsteins all around and a Bilstein steering stabilyzer. I read on this forum about the Axis being all over the road. Sure enough, it was. White knuckle driving the whole way. THOR has refused to align my AXIS per this forum's specs, so I will do it myself. The E-series steering box has always been loose over the years, so proper suspension and steering geometry is paramount. THOR says they aligned the AXIS per Ford specs. Funny, I didn't know Ford had specs specifically for RVs.

Anyway, I wanted to say Hi, and be a resource for anyone having similar problems. This forum is awesome!

AJ

Welcome, and We will look forward for your thoughts .
Regards
Mike
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Welcome aboard AJ! As someone wisely said, today's RV isn't so much a product but a kit. You're way ahead of the curve.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

Sounds like you did a lot of research (including browsing the forums) and thus you've likely found Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual (here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html ). If you haven't then here it is, download and read it LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

THOR #13661
You know it. That sourced PDI list was very helpful.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
send me your tail light repair and pix and I'll add it to the manual. Bevedfelker@live.com
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our side of the Campgrounds!
It sounds as if you've got a handle on getting your "RV Kit" completed!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #9

THOR #13661
I did a write-up repair section, earlier. Thanks for your PDI insight. For some reason, it hasn't been posted.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome. Once you get the bugs worked out and a few of your handling mods complete Im sure you will love your Axis as much as I love mine.

Your already ahead of the curve since you found this awesome forum and have the mechanical background already. Both are needed IMO to have a happy and safe RV experience.

Send us some pic's of your mods as you get them complete.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #11

THOR #13661
Thanks... Yes, we do love the design and concept. Having the rear slide and not the side slides was what needed for a 4-foot long German Shepherd K9. Can't turn around otherwise. lol

Here's my updated LED lense result. It's so clean, you can barely see a seam change
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_093942.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	13886   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_093947.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	13887  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_093927.jpg