Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2022, 06:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Louisiana
THOR #27739
Smile Looking at used 2021 Thor Vegas 25.6

Hello! We newbies are strongly considering putting a deposit on a used 2021 Thor Vegas 25.6. It has 4000 miles and 105 hours on the generator. It appears to be in excellent preowned condition. After renting a Class B (too small) and a Fifth Wheel (too big) we checked out the Vegas this past weekend and it literally checks all our "wants/needs" boxes. We have an independent inspector scheduled to check it out for us prior to purchase.We have been lurking on various sites and see mention of the quality of the build of the Thor RVs. We did notice some screws inside the cabinets being crooked and not in all the way, noticed some trim pieces rough and/or too short, and a few other cosmetic things easily corrected. We love the interior storage and walk around bed. We don't like the location of the engine battery (thanks for the heads up!) but it's not a deal breaker. Our goal is to use the RV for weekend jaunts, visits to family who live elsewhere and vacations that are usually between 10 - 14 days at least until the hubby retires and we can go longer. We would much appreciate any brutally honest insights, experiences, recommendations, etc. before we make the leap! We are scared and very excited! Thank you!!

Old 08-21-2022, 06:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

3 things

First take it for a good test drive that includes in town and highway.

Second, do a thorough inspection. If you haven’t owned an RV I recommend you get a certified RV Inspector to do the inspection and walk you through all the systems.

Third DO TRUST THE SELLER IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. They all lie through their teeth, even private sellers.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have a 2021 Thor Axis 24.1. I have written maybe a dozen articles on things I like, things that Thor did wrong, and I fixed and modifications I have made. Do an Advance Search using my user name DavidEM and search for threads started by me.

Lots to read and most, maybe all will be applicable to your 25.6.

I do like the coach and after all of my changes it is running pretty good. All of the unresolved issues are now Ford related: two recall notices for the dog house insulation and brake, steering hydraulic hoses as well as the Service AdvanceTrac messages. I am waiting for Ford to come up with a definitive fix before I fix that and the other two.

David
Old 08-21-2022, 06:37 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
A nearly new coach with super low miles for sale has always been a "red flag" for me. As suggested...do a most thorough PDI, drive it for quite a long time and check proper operation of everything multiple times. Run the sides in and out a lot and listen/feel for issues. They are notorious for loud engine noise and heat up front while driving...hopefully that was the issue with previous owner...do you know if it was a repo?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #5

THOR #27739
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have a 2021 Thor Axis 24.1. I have written maybe a dozen articles on things I like, things that Thor did wrong, and I fixed and modifications I have made. Do an Advance Search using my user name DavidEM and search for threads started by me.

Lots to read and most, maybe all will be applicable to your 25.6.

I do like the coach and after all of my changes it is running pretty good. All of the unresolved issues are now Ford related: two recall notices for the dog house insulation and brake, steering hydraulic hoses as well as the Service AdvanceTrac messages. I am waiting for Ford to come up with a definitive fix before I fix that and the other two.

David
David EM Thank you so much! I will definitely look for your posts. And thanks for the heads up about the Ford recalls!
Old 08-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #6

THOR #27739
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
A nearly new coach with super low miles for sale has always been a "red flag" for me. As suggested...do a most thorough PDI, drive it for quite a long time and check proper operation of everything multiple times. Run the sides in and out a lot and listen/feel for issues. They are notorious for loud engine noise and heat up front while driving...hopefully that was the issue with previous owner...do you know if it was a repo?
RV's are used quite a lot for tailgating here in Louisiana. We figured that may have something to do with the low mileage and 100+ hours on the generator. The previous owner did some nice customizations with sliding shelving in the cabinets so I guess we never thought about it being a repossession. Hopefully the independent inspector's findings will find any defects the unit may have. Thanks so much for your comments!
Old 08-21-2022, 07:59 PM   #7

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Hiring the Inspector is good, but I would not trust that for seeing everything myself. There is an Axis PDI Checklist on this site that I used for my coach. I was a 1st time buyer and I actually did everything in the Checklist except for stuff on the roof. At the time, I was scared to get upon the roof; so it was risk I was willing to take.

But basically, you need to set aside 6 - 8 hours over one or 2 days and test EVERYTHING. ASSUME NOTHING. Hot water, jacks, slides, generator, batteries, fresh and waste tanks. Check temp output on AC(s) and oh yes, you MUST check for roof leaks. If it rains try to go to the coach to get inside.

Don't get bogged down on trivia mundane cosmetic stuff. Just make a long listing of everything you can find and get rough estimates to repair. Try to negotiate the price down to get those items repaired.

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:36 PM   #8

THOR #27739
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Hiring the Inspector is good, but I would not trust that for seeing everything myself. There is an Axis PDI Checklist on this site that I used for my coach. I was a 1st time buyer and I actually did everything in the Checklist except for stuff on the roof. At the time, I was scared to get upon the roof; so it was risk I was willing to take.

But basically, you need to set aside 6 - 8 hours over one or 2 days and test EVERYTHING. ASSUME NOTHING. Hot water, jacks, slides, generator, batteries, fresh and waste tanks. Check temp output on AC(s) and oh yes, you MUST check for roof leaks. If it rains try to go to the coach to get inside.

Don't get bogged down on trivia mundane cosmetic stuff. Just make a long listing of everything you can find and get rough estimates to repair. Try to negotiate the price down to get those items repaired.

Good luck
Thank you so much! Great suggestions and we will definitely use that checklist as well as the inspector's findings!
Old 08-31-2022, 09:00 PM   #9

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Are u a handyman? You will need lots of patience and knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and general vehicle repair or have plenty of $$$ to hire service technicians.
It’s not a car you can hop in and drive trouble free.
It’s a fairly complex combination vehicle and house that will need plenty of maintenance.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:53 PM   #10

THOR #27739
Sounds like it’s going to be quite an adventure! Neither of us are very skilled but we are willing to learn and do what it takes - when possible. We will make the best of whatever comes our way - we are a bit scared of all the “what ifs” but still very excited to start this new adventure! Thanks for your input!
Old 09-01-2022, 02:42 AM   #11

Model: 2021 Vegs 24.1
State: California
THOR #22619
Risks

We have a 2021 Vegas 24.1 purchased new.

I would carefully inspect everything as much for user caused issues as manufacturing problems.

I spent many hours fixing little things that weren't correct. Poor wiring connections, screen door not closing properly, hose clamps not tight, AC ducts not attached, etc, etc.

An inspector will find the big stuff, you need to find the little things.

Good Luck
Old 09-01-2022, 03:54 AM   #12

THOR #27739
Thanks! We actually gave up on the 2021 Vegas because of seller issues and now will be closing on a 2020 Axis 25.6 in September pending the inspection next week. The owners already did some great upgrades and it appears to have been well maintained.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:48 PM   #13

Model: 2021 Vegs 24.1
State: California
THOR #22619
2020 vs 2021

We went with the 2021 because it had several technical improvements over the 2020, not the least of which is the replacement of the V10 with a V10. The new engine included some upgrades to the chassis as well.

I can't say if this applies to other models than the 24.1