Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2020, 01:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windstar
State: Alabama
THOR #18653
New 2018 Thor Windstar 29M Owner

Hello from Peoria, IL my wife and I decided to enjoy traveling and working while on the road. Traded in a 5th wheel for a Class A. Haven't had too much trouble with "Thor".
Hope everyone stays well during this crazy time.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Welcome to the forum! Check out Jerry’s Hurricane mods for lots of Great ideas for your coach, lots of good tips there too!!!
Old 04-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #3

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 04-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Pull some chairs up to our campfire, and roast some marshmallows with us!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #5

State: Kansas
THOR #18734
Welcome aboard from KS!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:26 PM   #6

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Hello Army, and welcome,

I also have a 2018 Windsport 29M We purchased it new in June 2017, and we love it.
We are actually camping in it now for the next 6 days here in Florida.
If you have any questions let me know. ROn
Old 05-04-2020, 12:45 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Windstar? Isn't that a Ford van?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #8

State: Michigan
THOR #18742
Question Clueless...In Marquette MI

Ok I'll admit it, I am almost totally clueless ( I know the difference between black and gray water but question the difference between inverter and converter) when it come to owning a motor home. Is there a Motorhome for dummies or something in that order for first time owners. Thanks in advance, Bill from Michigan's beautiful upper peninsula.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsampson55@aol.com View Post
Ok I'll admit it, I am almost totally clueless ( I know the difference between black and gray water but question the difference between inverter and converter) when it come to owning a motor home. Is there a Motorhome for dummies or something in that order for first time owners. Thanks in advance, Bill from Michigan's beautiful upper peninsula.
This forum has all the answers for "dummies" AKA newbies. No question is too "dumb" although sometimes you will have to wade your way through some too in-depth answers.

Although written for the Axis/Vegas crowd, Ed Felkner did a great job writing a "manual" for those coaches but since most coaches use the same components and systems it is a great resource for the newbie to start their journey of knowledge. Highly recommended you download and read it here:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html

It's way better than the "Owners Manual" Thor provides.

And welcome aboard!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The difference between an inverter and a converter?
The converter turns 110 power into 12 volts, and inverter turns 12 volts into 110 power.

Opposite sides of the same coin!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #11

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmy98 View Post
Hello from Peoria, IL my wife and I decided to enjoy traveling and working while on the road. Traded in a 5th wheel for a Class A. Haven't had too much trouble with "Thor".
Hope everyone stays well during this crazy time.
If it's not "Thor" it will be Forest River, Winnie, Eagle, Newmar, Entregra, Fleetwood, Jayco even an Airstream that had a bad awning....and they're manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....you name it....problems with all. I don't think there's a company out there I haven't heard of problems with from other RVers. If you remember, our US cars sucked back in the 60s and then Japan came on board and there workmanship put ours to shame....making our big Three work better for better workmanship. Maybe we need the same to happen in the RV industry....but doubting that will happen
Old 05-10-2020, 07:58 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Welcome. Great place to learn, safe too.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #13

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
This forum has all the answers for "dummies" AKA newbies. No question is too "dumb" although sometimes you will have to wade your way through some too in-depth answers.

Although written for the Axis/Vegas crowd, Ed Felkner did a great job writing a "manual" for those coaches but since most coaches use the same components and systems it is a great resource for the newbie to start their journey of knowledge. Highly recommended you download and read it here:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html

It's way better than the "Owners Manual" Thor provides.

And welcome aboard!
Did anyone do this for Hurricane users?
Old 05-11-2020, 12:16 AM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Did anyone do this for Hurricane users?
The short answer is no. Shame on the RV companies for neglecting this so far. Wouldn't be that hard to do in a digital format like a flash drive.

As was stated, Ed's Axis/Vegas manual has a lot of useful info that will apply to your Hurricane and most everyone's rig on this forum. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 05-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #8271
5.5 Generator

I have a 2017 Windsport 29M, F53 chassis as well and if you have a residential refrigerator and decide to run the A/C while driving as we do, you will need to run your generator while driving.

I did this and it took me 1 1/2 years on my own to resolve the problem of the generator cutting off all the time while running down the road. I won't go through all the things that were suggested as you can look in forum for this problem and see all the comments. I did however, purchase the Cummins/Onan fix which turned out to be similar to a hood scoop that is mounted on the bottom of the generator to capture the air to help cool it down while driving. It was $179.00 wasted. I also installed a helper pump next to the tank thinking it would help being closer to the fuel source, no joy! What I did do was remove the fuel pump out of the generator frame housing and mounted it on the outside rear frame exposing it to the air. With the fuel pump inside the generator frame it was getting so hot that a safety circuit would shut it down.

Also, trying to use the inverter to run refrigerator while driving and the generator shutting down while driving also cost me two inverters at $200 each. Didn't make sense because it was not suppose to be tied to the A/C circuit but they would overload every time. I would have to do a hard reset once we stopped and had 30 minutes to allow this to happen.

If you're wanting more info on my journey in trying to fix this problem I would be glad to discuss with you. To much to put on the forum in detail. My number is (813) 817-7318. Leave a message because I let my Robo killer APP stop all calls from those not contained my contacts, but does allow messages so I may call back.

George Durden
Old 05-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #16

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
The short answer is no. Shame on the RV companies for neglecting this so far. Wouldn't be that hard to do in a digital format like a flash drive.

As was stated, Ed's Axis/Vegas manual has a lot of useful info that will apply to your Hurricane and most everyone's rig on this forum. Try it, you'll like it!
Thanks for that. I have talked to the techs at Thor and they understand the futility of their "manuals." It's generic at best and so general that it could pertain to any coach made by anybody. We have to read the forums to get the real info and you're right...a lot of the Axis/Vegas stuff is the same on most thor coaches.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:25 AM   #17

Model: 29M Windstar
State: Alabama
THOR #18653
Windstar, Windsport, what's in a name - both are
Fords. The best vehicle I had was a 1963 IHC Sout 80 with a 152 CID slant 4 cylinder.