Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2023, 01:11 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Jetlag's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.5
State: Ohio
Posts: 10
THOR #30905
New ACE owner

Hello All
Just signed up to the forum and really like the posts. Just purchased a 2022 ACE 29.5 from an estate sale with 1300 miles and a little damage thatís getting repaired by our local Thor dealer now. Hopefully I will get knowledgeable information that I will need going forward.
Thanks,
Herb-Ohio

__________________
Jetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
paulwadley's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
Posts: 2,370
THOR #12698
Hi Herb

Welcome to the forum. Questions will come up from time to time so just ask them here about your motor home and someone will be glad to help out with an answer.

Paul
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Dan-sr@perra-us.net's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
Posts: 886
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post
Hello All
Just signed up to the forum and really like the posts. Just purchased a 2022 ACE 29.5 from an estate sale with 1300 miles and a little damage that’s getting repaired by our local Thor dealer now. Hopefully I will get knowledgeable information that I will need going forward.
Thanks,
Herb-Ohio
Make sure to have the front-end kingpins and tie rod ends lubed and get the oil changed. My 2018 ACE 30.3 had only 3900 miles when I purchased it last year, but the kingpin bushings were so worn that it could not be aligned. The repair shop showed me that the kingpins were not properly lubed from the factory. While you are at it find a good local repair shop in your area for chassis maintenance unless your Thor dealer is equipped to do alignments and other chassis work. In my area I have a Truck / Auto / RV shop that can do it all. oil changes, alignments, Brakes, etc. I do my own oil changes when I have nice weather.
__________________
Dan
2018 Thor ACE 30.3
Towing 2020 Jeep Gladiator

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:25 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Jetlag's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.5
State: Ohio
Posts: 10
THOR #30905
Yeah I read your post that sucked! When I get it back I’ll do the lube and maintenance on the chassis, engine and generator. I think the generator has 80 hrs and probably never been serviced
Thx
__________________
Jetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Dan-sr@perra-us.net's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
Posts: 886
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post
Yeah I read your post that sucked! When I get it back Iíll do the lube and maintenance on the chassis, engine and generator. I think the generator has 80 hrs and probably never been serviced
Thx
When I got the coach it was very "twitchy" driving at highway speeds. I solved a lot of the problem by installing a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer, getting the kingpin bushings replaced, and having a front-end alignment. On my trip to Vegas January - April 2023 I found that the coach was still a little too much affected by trucks passing and crosswinds. In particular I would occasionally get into a tail wagging oscillation. Over the summer I installed the Cheep Handling Fix, installed a Safe-T-Plus rear track bar, and had a dragging front brake caliper fixed. The dragging brake was causing the RV to pull right going down a strait road. This seems to have fixed the last of the handling problems, I will know for sure when I take my nest trip.

I believe your 2022 chassis already has much stiffer Sway Bars than what was installed on my 2018 Chassis. My front sway bars is 1 3/4" I believe your front sway bar is 2" so it is unlikely you need to mess with the sway bars. You might still benefit from installing the rear track bar and steering stabilizer.

You will notice I have not mentioned installing Koni or Bilsteen shocks. The reason is that I have not detected any behaviors that indicate a need for new shocks after 5000 miles of driving. My ACE now has 9000 miles.
__________________
Dan
2018 Thor ACE 30.3
Towing 2020 Jeep Gladiator

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:04 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Jetlag's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.5
State: Ohio
Posts: 10
THOR #30905
Thanks Dan thatís very informative and Iíve been thinking a lot about suspension upgrades like you mentioned. I know my sway bar is the new 2Ē but I like the other upgrades you made with the stability systems I just havenít drove it enough on the highway to see exactly how the new upgraded suspension differs from the older style. Itís good to have someone like you that has installed stuff that all those YouTubers push because not sure if they are trying to sell products or not. Once again thx
Herb
__________________
Jetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:23 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Arizona
Posts: 108
THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
When I got the coach it was very "twitchy" driving at highway speeds. I solved a lot of the problem by installing a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer, getting the kingpin bushings replaced, and having a front-end alignment. On my trip to Vegas January - April 2023 I found that the coach was still a little too much affected by trucks passing and crosswinds. In particular I would occasionally get into a tail wagging oscillation. Over the summer I installed the Cheep Handling Fix, installed a Safe-T-Plus rear track bar, and had a dragging front brake caliper fixed. The dragging brake was causing the RV to pull right going down a strait road. This seems to have fixed the last of the handling problems, I will know for sure when I take my nest trip.

I believe your 2022 chassis already has much stiffer Sway Bars than what was installed on my 2018 Chassis. My front sway bars is 1 3/4" I believe your front sway bar is 2" so it is unlikely you need to mess with the sway bars. You might still benefit from installing the rear track bar and steering stabilizer.

You will notice I have not mentioned installing Koni or Bilsteen shocks. The reason is that I have not detected any behaviors that indicate a need for new shocks after 5000 miles of driving. My ACE now has 9000 miles.
GREAT advice! We also noted a huge improvement with our Safe-T-Plus installations!
__________________
TRMott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2