Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2021, 02:18 AM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #25545
New - All advice welcome

Hello all
Looking at getting an RV and hitting the road in about a year, just trying to get my ducks in a row. I’m 50 and still working, but work remotely so can work from anywhere with Wi-Fi. Looking at spending about 25-35% of the year on the road.
I’d like to hit some national parks I’ve never seen, I’ve always lived east coast (Pittsburgh). Looking at Zion, Glacier, Sequoia, Yellowstone, Teton… I understand not all areas will have Wi-Fi.
Biggest question for now is what type of RV? I was thinking of towing a ~25’ trailer, but I read there are size limits in many of the parks. If a park has a 28’ RV limit, is that the length of RV plus towing truck? The attraction to a towable is unhitching and exploring more once I arrive.
Traveling will be me and my woman, she’s not overly outdoorsy so toilet access is necessary.
Thoughts? Are there other questions I should be asking myself?
Thank you in advance

Old 12-11-2021, 02:22 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

Since you're not sure and have a wide open canvas I think I'd start with renting a few for some short trips and keep notes as to how you like them.

Rent a trailer (if you can find one to rent), rent a Class-C, rent a Class-B, etc.

You'll get an idea as to what size you can live with and what things are must haves for you.

As an example: If you get something small enough (say a small Class-B) you won't need another vehicle: Just unhook and go sight seeing with it. Of course that means you won't have as much room inside as you would with a trailer or larger motorhome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:26 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluflatt@gmail.com View Post
Hello all
Looking at getting an RV and hitting the road in about a year, just trying to get my ducks in a row. I’m 50 and still working, but work remotely so can work from anywhere with Wi-Fi. Looking at spending about 25-35% of the year on the road.
I’d like to hit some national parks I’ve never seen, I’ve always lived east coast (Pittsburgh). Looking at Zion, Glacier, Sequoia, Yellowstone, Teton… I understand not all areas will have Wi-Fi.
Biggest question for now is what type of RV? I was thinking of towing a ~25’ trailer, but I read there are size limits in many of the parks. If a park has a 28’ RV limit, is that the length of RV plus towing truck? The attraction to a towable is unhitching and exploring more once I arrive.
Traveling will be me and my woman, she’s not overly outdoorsy so toilet access is necessary.
Thoughts? Are there other questions I should be asking myself?
Thank you in advance
So yinz are planning to hit the road? That is a lot of time for 25'. You have plenty of time so look at all options. I loved the idea of an Airstream but we ended up with a Class A d pusher. We tow a car. Ours is 34 feet and have yet to not be able to go where we wanted. Enjoy the hunt and decision process and you will love it out and about. BTW - My wife went to Pitt and I Penn State.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:49 AM   #4

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Stay away from Thor products. Very, very far away from Thor products. Spend a little more and go with a different brand.
I am not knew to RV's and have owned several in my life time and Thor is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to build quality. Save yourself the aggravation and cross Thor off the list.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:53 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Stay away from Thor products. Very, very far away from Thor products. Spend a little more and go with a different brand.
I am not knew to RV's and have owned several in my life time and Thor is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to build quality. Save yourself the aggravation and cross Thor off the list.
That sounds a bit weird that a company that owns 85-90% of all RVs on the highway is the bottom of the barrel?
After 10+ years as full-timers I'd suggest something more than a 25'er whether it's towable or drivable, that's not much room for 2 adults.
Whatever you chose you'll most likely be towing something, whether a trailer of some sort or a vehicle behind the motorhome, so my recommendation is get something big enough to be comfortable living in & drive the tow vehicle or the toad to sightsee.
From our experience the choices would be a class A, preferably a diesel, or a 5th wheel towed with a diesel for the roominess inside & storage in/out on both. A class C has very little storage inside & out plus you lose several feet of interior space due to the cockpit, not to mention that cockpit is very cramped especially for the passenger.
For us it was better to stay in a privately owned rv resort/park rather than the state/national campgrounds for ease of parking a 40' 5er with a crew cab dually truck & better wifi capability then drive to those areas of interest. By doing this we found we could travel sightseeing in any direction on day trips without having to always pack up & move the rv.
Honestly there's no wrong way to do this, the best way is what works for, but I highly recommend the full timing, even if for only a short while, it's a great experience!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:37 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard. Jamie gave you pretty good advice about renting a couple different units to try out. There is a dealer (in my area) that will rent out a trailer, drop it at the campsite then pick it up at the end of the rental. They will also rent out a Class C & a couple years ago Class A motorhomes. (we bought a class A after the rental season) There should be some place in your area that will rent out a few units for you try. Enjoy the search and the journey!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #7

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. All of the advice you've been given is good. Another option is what we do. Ours is a class C. I don't tow anything. If we need to go exploring we rent a car or uber it.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Something about b and c rv units:
Fat folk aren't going to be able to comfortably go from seat to coach.
Add a bad knee and you're:
Finding a place to park
Going outside in the weather
Going back inside the side door on a c unit.
Go back outside only to go back inside through the cab door.
Or just plain suffering in a b unit.

Consider a two-story house and recently gone bad hip.
Same type of discomfort, disillusion, delusion.
'We can do it'.
You can do it NOW, maybe not later.

It's the part no one likes to think of.
The cabs suck for most folk of any abnormal height, width or immobility.

Rent one, then decide.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #9

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Finding a place to park

'We can do it'.

Rent one, then decide.
My wife loves the diesel Pusher especially in transit. Bathroom and kitchen easy access, our two dogs have room and in the rain (Pacific Northwest) we can wait out rain easier. With the engine in back and below do not give up space. I was keen on a Super C with the Frieghtliner chassis but would need a 40 foot to get the same inside space as our Aria 3401.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Finding a place to park

'We can do it'.

Rent one, then decide.
Just buy a Prevost as your first "kit" RV. Otherwise you won't be happy contorting yourself around in those "lesser" RVs. And remember... "fat" is likely a life choice one makes with diet and exercise. Make "better" choices and those knees will thank you later in life.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #11

THOR #13932
Prevost is simply the same as an e450.
They provide chassis and skeleton.
Someone else builds the coach.
These are often bespoke.
Thor is seldom bespoke.

Ford doesn't build motorhomes.(unless something has changed)
Prevost doesn't build motorhomes.(not on a reasonable levell)
Ford used to.

As said:
No one likes reading about this.
It's a fact.
We don't get younger
Contortions(and no one can say it's not contortion for those outsized or bound by pain) gets tougher and more painful.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:24 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
We love our thor!
Old 12-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #13

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
We love our thor!
Had you not quoted him/her
I wouldn't have seen it.

I got tired of it long ago.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Prevost is simply the same as an e450.
They provide chassis and skeleton.
Someone else builds the coach.
These are often bespoke.
Thor is seldom bespoke.

Ford doesn't build motorhomes.(unless something has changed)
Prevost doesn't build motorhomes.(not on a reasonable levell)
Ford used to.

As said:
No one likes reading about this.
It's a fact.
We don't get younger
Contortions(and no one can say it's not contortion for those outsized or bound by pain) gets tougher and more painful.
Well, just skip the Prevost "kit" and step up to a Newell. They build theirs from the ground up... ALL in house.

Personally I like our Thor unit. Thor oversees manufacturing of a "cost appropriate" product. They are NOT perfect, and it shows in the shortcuts taken. They are called "entry level" for a reason.

Although Thor has inflated their prices in the last year or so, they are still the most affordable avenue to gamble with a new unit. I say GAMBLE, because you might get a decent one, and you might get a lemon. But remember... the RV industry has cleverly avoided lemon laws.

So... you do your research and take your chances. In the end you'll find that Thor products are the most budget friendly of NEW motorhomes. There is also a vast market of "lightly used" motorhomes to be had. The advantage in fairly new, lightly used is that POSSIBLY many of the bugs have been fixed.
Old 12-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #15

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Well, just skip the Prevost "kit" and step up to a Newell. They build theirs from the ground up... ALL in house.

Personally I like our Thor unit. Thor oversees manufacturing of a "cost appropriate" product. They are NOT perfect, and it shows in the shortcuts taken. They are called "entry level" for a reason.

Although Thor has inflated their prices in the last year or so, they are still the most affordable avenue to gamble with a new unit. I say GAMBLE, because you might get a decent one, and you might get a lemon. But remember... the RV industry has cleverly avoided lemon laws.

So... you do your research and take your chances. In the end you'll find that Thor products are the most budget friendly of NEW motorhomes. There is also a vast market of "lightly used" motorhomes to be had. The advantage in fairly new, lightly used is that POSSIBLY many of the bugs have been fixed.
That's just about the best Thor synopsis I've read, ever.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:36 PM   #16

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

I was going to buy a Newell but did not win the lottery. That are freakin unreal. We had a guy pull into the site next to ours at the beach. They were pulling a real hummer for a toad. Just spectacular. $2million will get you a good RV.