Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #14963
New to Axis

Hello all. Im looking at buying a 2018 Axis 25.3 with rear side slide bedroom. I have been reading good and bad reviews on the Axis. They look high quality price is good what do you all think about these rigs. Thank you in advance

Old 04-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome,

Well I love my 2017 Axis. I think the Ford parts (engine, tranny, frame etc) are top notch. The rest of the RV is fine AFTER you work out the bugs. Lots of little things esp. when they are brand new.

So if yours is a gently used 2018 model I bet you will be fine. Just offer them about $5 - 10K less and see what they say. Never pay asking price on an RV.

Just keep in mind you might have to put $2K into it the first year (tires? fixing little things etc) so dont be surprised.

All RV's require regular mantance and should be run every month or two in order to keep in tip top shape.

Feel free to ask any specific question you have... Many of us with Axis / Vegas model on this forum.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site. Make sure you download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

Once you get through that you'll know more than the dealer (or their service techs) about the unit.

We're very happy with our Axis.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I can't help you with questions that deal specifically with the Axis: I'm in another brand of RV...
But I'd still like to welcome you to the Forum!

And Happy Hunting!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:20 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
We own a 2016 25.2 Axis. We've had our repairs as we bought it when it was 2 years old. We've spent over 5 weeks traveling with only a few small hitches that we fixed in a few minutes. The AC popped a breaker during our last fall trip and our Axxera radio popped a fuse this afternoon while we were on the first day of a 6 month trip. All in all we are very happy with our Axis. I love doing a few upgrades and changes but none were emergencies, just things we wanted to do. We like the smaller size in a class A and it's big enough for the 2 of us.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #6

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I’ve owned two- 2014 Vegas and 2016 Axis and have put 50,000 miles on them in 5 years. While I have had some issues - and from reading this and other forums I think your will have some no matter how much you pay for your coach- we have been very happy with the two RVs. From being in this forum for 5 years, I think the ones that are happiest with their coaches are those who are a little ‘handy’ around vehicles and enjoy doing their own work. In addition, the dealer you purchase from makes a big difference. For me Thor was very good about fixing almost anything in the first year warrantee period. If you have a good dealer, they will stand by and fix any problems and Thor will pay. A poor dealer will drag their feet, keep your coach for weeks and never fix it. After the first year you are ‘on your own’ except for warranties for separate systems in the coach (such as AC or furnace) that may have longer warranties. You are not purchasing a car. These coaches are put together one at a time and the quality control is not the same as a car. The price is good, the systems used in the coaches (for the most part) are very good and the quality control is mediocre to OK. Best advice is to go over the RV with a “fine tooth comb” before you accept it ... and don’t accept it until everything and I mean everything is fixed. If you can, take a friend who knows RVs along. We all want to overlook things when we do the walk through so we can take possession. Having another pair of eyes who is not intimately involved is priceless. All in all. we have had great times in our Vegas/Axis and we are heading out for Canada in the next month.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

We have about 28K miles on our 2016 25.2, and well over 300 nights in it so far. You didn't say if you have any RV experience, or if this is your first. That info would help the group answer your questions. New buyers can forget to budget for repairs and can finance their way into serious upside down, where they owe much more than the rig is worth. For some folks, a 45 foot land yacht isn't big enough, while some folks live nicely in a tiny house. Different strokes...

Our floorplan is similar to the 25.3, except the bed slide goes out the rear. For us and the way the two of us travel (with no pets), the 25.2 is a good fit. Vegas and Axis are twins, with only a few styling differences.

There are good and bad reviews on every product. Keep in mind that the people who are unhappy tend to vent, and those who are happy are off enjoying the product!
Old 04-09-2019, 02:03 AM   #8

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #12326
Im happy with mine so far. Coming from toy haulers and last was a DP. To me it is great and low maintenance compared to the others. Easy to drive and tows better than the big gassers. Im mostly outdoors more than in so the smallness for me is minor. I love how easy it is to drive
Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 AM   #9

THOR #14963
Thank you all for the good advice. This web site will be very helpful if we decide on the Axis which i think we will. Just 2 of us and 3 small dogs. Moving up from a Class B so extra room will be wonderful
Old 04-09-2019, 02:40 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I can't help you with questions that deal specifically with the Axis: I'm in another brand of RV...

But I'd still like to welcome you to the Forum!

And Happy Hunting!

Hey Bob, maybe we should start a thread of former Thor owners who still like to hang out here because we learn lots and enjoy the camaraderie of a great bunch of like minded folks. I have a Fleetwood Storm now but never had any serious issues with my Freedom Elite. Only changed because we wanted something larger and found this machine used at a good price. The issues and answers seem to cross all brands!
Old 04-09-2019, 03:13 AM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
New to Axis

I have tried twice now to tell you all of the items that I either had fixed or improved on just because I wanted to. It took so long that the forum timed me out.... I will try eventually to list everything we did to our 2016 24.1 Axis to make it the way we wanted up until we decided we wanted to go bigger. The next owner should be pretty happy that we worked all of the bugs out of it.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #12

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum