Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2020, 03:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #21176
New Axis owner

Hey, long time lurker, finally decided to register since we just got home with our ‘21 Axis 24.1. This our first motorhome; we’re coming from a pickup with a 30ft ultra lite travel trailer.

Our first stay in it starts Thursday!

Old 11-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Do the mod in post 115 of my signature thread.
It's easy and you'll love it.
Congratulations.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Here is a link to post 115 on ducksface's thread:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...tml#post208392

Congratulations and belated welcome.

Since you're a long time lurker I'm sure you're fully aware of Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual found here:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our virtual RV Park!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the new freedom of a motorized coach.

Paul
Old 11-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Congratulations on your new purchase of an Axis 24.1. I have a new one coming in February or March and have a couple of questions about your new MH:

Some have wondered if the supplier backlogs that are the result of Covid and the high demand for new RVs have resulted in any change in components. Are you aware of any in your MH?

Yours has the new Ford V8. On the F53 based MHs (the Axis 24.1 uses the E350 chassis) the suspension is also upgraded. Have you noticed any handling problems. I realize that you have nothing to compare your new Axis with.

I viewed the interesting video walkthrough last night- and noticed the electronic switch, light, tank level control module above the sink. Older Axis didn't have that. How do you like it. I am old school and prefer switches that actually switch current to the device. This control module sends signals to solid state control modules instead of switches. When it works, it works, but I am concerned about electronic failures.

It does make wiring more straightforward. The current carrying circuit goes straight to the device rather than having to loop first to a remote switch and a small electronic signal is sent from the control module to that circuit.

But it is what it is.

David
Old 11-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #7

THOR #21176
Thanks yall! I'm very familiar with ducksface's and Ed's threads, they're how I survived 2 months of waiting for our coach to come in
2021 Axis 24.1/2019 Fusion Hybrid
Selurgniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Washington
THOR #20407
2021 Axis owner

I took delivery of an Axis 25.6 in the first week of August.

I am also a first time RV owner. I found the handling to be very challenging. To the point that I installed a sway bar and driver-assist rod (my words) after just one trip. This trip however was coming down a mtn. pass on a freeway. Lots of leaning, etc.

Now with about 1700 miles. I can attest that my two upgrades, plus yes more experience behind the wheel, made all the difference. So I highly recommend it. Especially for first time owner.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #9

THOR #21176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Some have wondered if the supplier backlogs that are the result of Covid and the high demand for new RVs have resulted in any change in components. Are you aware of any in your MH?
I spoke a bit with the Axis rep at Thor and he did mention construction was slowed by part suppliers. He also mentioned they've moved Axis/Vegas production to one of their "class-a factories" so they're still working on supplying and tooling there. We didn't notice any quality issues with our coach as far as things breaking or not being fastened. A tech from the dealer spent two hours showing us around pushing all the buttons and operating all the valves and everything indicated it was working.

Quote:
Yours has the new Ford V8. On the F53 based MHs (the Axis 24.1 uses the E350 chassis) the suspension is also upgraded. Have you noticed any handling problems. I realize that you have nothing to compare your new Axis with.
This one actually has the E450 chassis now. I noticed no handling issues even taking hard/fast turns. I drove it home in a 15mph cross wind and didn't experience any worse wind steer than my travel trailer. I will say, however, I'm coming from towing a large travel trailer. I'm seriously considering a safe-t-plus to completely eliminate it but it doesn't in anyway feel unsafe for me to drive.

Quote:
...noticed the electronic switch, light, tank level control module above the sink. Older Axis didn't have that. How do you like it.
I *love* it. Admittedly it's probably a thing with "my generation". I will say that all electro-mechanical things can be operated without the screen. There's buttons under the screen that let you operate the slide, stabilizers, awning, and bunk bed. The generator can be operated from the cab or master bedroom. All fans and lights have manual switches. The screen or phone app are only needed to control climate, water-pump, and to view tank levels. The night we spent in it, I woke up chilly at 3am, picked up my phone and bumped up the heater 2 degrees and went back to bed...technology

Quote:
It does make wiring more straightforward. The current carrying circuit goes straight to the device rather than having to loop first to a remote switch and a small electronic signal is sent from the control module to that circuit.
Yeah, it's important to note that even the manual controls mentioned above are just alternate interfaces to the computerized control bus
Old 11-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #10

THOR #20289
Thanks for your cogent comments. Glad to know you got the E450 chassis, hope I do too. The last Thor brochure I downloaded shows the heavier chassis only on the 25.6 and 27.7, but standardizing on one chassis for all Axis makes sense. I think I can stand a stiffer E450 chassis better than I can deal with the 2,000 lb less GVWR E350 chassis.

Here are the specs in this brochure:

Axis model 24.1 24.3 25.6 27.7
Chassis Ford Ford Ford Ford
Gross Vehicle (GVWR) 12,500 12,500 14,500 14,500
Gross Combined (GCWR) 18,500 18,500 22,000 22,000

David
Old 11-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #11

THOR #21176
Huh, I stand corrected, I verified my VIN is an E350. I could swear I've come across many threads discussing the transition from E350 to E450 but I never actually checked the GVWR.

I don't anticipate it being a problem for us, on our previous (much more voluminous) RV, we only traveled with about 1000lbs of passengers and cargo. The sticker on this motor home says our limit of passengers and cargo is 1431lbs.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #12

THOR #20289
OK, 1,400 lbs OCCC is plenty for me too. Just would have liked the stiffer E450 chassis.

What if anything are you doing about a spare wheel/tire. I think I will just buy a tire and put it in the aft compartment accessible from the rear hatch. That will let a road service guy install the tire, which he probably doesn't have anyway. I have had at least a dozen flats in my lifetime, a few on trailers and I never damaged a wheel. Even less likely with a TPMS installed.

David
Old 11-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #13

THOR #21176
It'd be a tight fit in there. The oem tires are 29" tall and that compartment is 26" all the way around. There is a void under the floor at that spot between the chassis rails but there's an obnoxiously tight wiring harness there that would have to be cut an rerouted, and I'm not sure I could even get the tire in there over the electric stabilizers.

The easiest thing at this point looks like maybe getting a bumper attached holder.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah most people carry a spare on the hitch and/or bumper.

Some have been able to fit the spare between the frame rails in the rear.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #15

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurgniman View Post
It'd be a tight fit in there. The oem tires are 29" tall and that compartment is 26" all the way around. There is a void under the floor at that spot between the chassis rails but there's an obnoxiously tight wiring harness there that would have to be cut an rerouted, and I'm not sure I could even get the tire in there over the electric stabilizers.

The easiest thing at this point looks like maybe getting a bumper attached holder.
My spare fits perfectly in the rear most drivers side bin. With just enough wiggle room to spare. It wasn't my discovery, a member here told of his spare fitting there. I'd have never tried it without reading it on this forum.

I have a hitch mount spare carrier, tire cover and anti-rattle chingadera for the spare but I prefer to carry it in the bin.

I converted the under body between the frame space to an extra bin accessed by way of the rear end hatch. Pics on on the last page or second to last page in my signature thread. Post 443
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=443

Old 11-09-2020, 11:47 PM   #16

THOR #21176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
My spare fits perfectly in the rear most drivers side bin. With just enough wiggle room to spare. It wasn't my discovery, a member here told of his spare fitting there. I'd have never tried it without reading it on this forum.
Maybe they changed the framing around that compartment but it’s 26” wall to wall all the way around on mine and my tires are definitely 29” diameter.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #17

State: North Carolina
THOR #15476
Sounds like you have done your research. I am just starting. I like the 24.1. Have you seen anyone hauling an inflatable fishing boat in the cargo area? Or checked it out?
Old 11-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #18

THOR #21176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
Sounds like you have done your research. I am just starting. I like the 24.1. Have you seen anyone hauling an inflatable fishing boat in the cargo area? Or checked it out?
I would imagine any non-rigid inflatable anything would fit and maybe even some with rigid pieces (depending on dimensions); that storage area in back is big enough for me to crawl through. I'd be happy to compare measurements if you have some .
Old 11-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #19

THOR #13932
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=229

I found pictures of my spare in the rear bin.
6our 2020 24.1 doesn't have the same basement?

Old 11-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #20

State: Louisiana
THOR #16756
First time RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasur2 View Post
I took delivery of an Axis 25.6 in the first week of August.

I am also a first time RV owner. I found the handling to be very challenging. To the point that I installed a sway bar and driver-assist rod (my words) after just one trip. This trip however was coming down a mtn. pass on a freeway. Lots of leaning, etc.

Now with about 1700 miles. I can attest that my two upgrades, plus yes more experience behind the wheel, made all the difference. So I highly recommend it. Especially for first time owner.
We took ownership of our 2021 Vegas 24.1 on 11/13/2021. We did our first walk through on 05/22/2021 and noticed the engine light was on. We have been waiting for a back ordered part from Ford all of this time. When we were signing papers the dealer told us there was a recall.
The first trip in my new Vegas was VERY frustrating. We took a two hour drive for our first outing. It took everything in me to keep this RV on the road. I was fussing the whole time. I could not believe a manufacturer would release a product so squirrelly and hard to handle. My back, shoulders, and neck muscles were in knots. It was later explained to me that this is part of the RV driving experience.
Oh but that 7.3 Liter Ford motor is the best thing I've ever driven. Powerful responsive throaty sounding smooth shifting and fast. 'Just perfect '
Other than the handling issue everything about this unit is amazing.
Just hope I have a better experience with highway driving our next time out.