Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #8682
Hello

Hi
My name is Lindalee. We just bought afour winds 31L. Our air conditioner does not cool our unit. Does anyone else have this problem and know what we can try to do to see what can be wrong? Appreciate all suggestions. Thanks

Old 08-07-2017, 12:51 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Which AC - the 15K overhead or the dash?
Old 08-07-2017, 02:55 AM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #8682
It is the above head air conditioner
Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalee View Post
Hi
My name is Lindalee. We just bought afour winds 31L. Our air conditioner does not cool our unit. Does anyone else have this problem and know what we can try to do to see what can be wrong? Appreciate all suggestions. Thanks
Any AC has trouble keeping up in the Texas heat. Several members, including myself, have installed a rotating vent in the overhead cover, it increases the cool airflow by a significant amount! You can order the vent from Amazon, fairly easy to install and it does make a difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	6233
Old 08-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
It is the above head air conditioner
We only have a 13.5k AC in our Axis and in the Florida sun on a really hot day, it struggles to keep up. What I do to compensate is to try to close off a smaller space for the AC to cool. My wife made curtains which pull across in front of the cab area (also helps the dash AC while driving) and we can close the bathroom door which cuts off the bedroom and bath from the living room. This gives the AC unit a much smaller area to cool. I also close all the AC vents except for those in the living room. I reverse the process at night. The round vent mod in the AC unit (as mentioned by SuperD) also helps a lot. A shaded area for the RV also helps and not letting the RV get too hot before you try to cool it is also important. It is also possible that your AC is not operating correctly or that the vents were not installed correctly or are partially blocked. In those cases the round vent mod is even more useful and you can pull the inside part of the AC down and look. Running the AC with that inside cover off will also give you a better idea if the AC is really putting out cold air.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
One brought up a good point, if you pull the inside cover there is a divider between the intake and exhaust, sometimes it's not installed correctly and allows the cool air to be drawn into the exhaust before it gets to the coach. Remove the filters on each side, there are four screws, one in each corner, remove those and the cover will drop down. The divider is a vertical flat plate kinda in the middle, make sure it's in place.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
Quote:
Hi
Its too much coach for AC to keep up in southern state heat. I have the 31E. The only sure fix is to install another unit in the bedroom ceiling vent. Run the power out separately and plug into the extra 50 amp hookup at your site. Only drawback is you cant power it on the genny, so it only works where you have elec hook ups.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #8

THOR #8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1gator View Post
Its too much coach for AC to keep up in southern state heat. I have the 31E. The only sure fix is to install another unit in the bedroom ceiling vent. Run the power out separately and plug into the extra 50 amp hookup at your site. Only drawback is you cant power it on the genny, so it only works where you have elec hook ups.
I just had this problem with my 31w. I found some partially blocked (with styrofoam) vents. However, the a.c. unit isn't strong enough to push the air all the way thru the coach. One thing that helped was keeping shades drawn and using a small table fan to circulate the cold air.