Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2015, 02:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
In Big Bear Lake

My name is Grump, Forest Grump, and a grump I am, in the forest. Big Bear Lake, Southern California 7,000' up and just east of LA. Home of earthquakes, forest fires, lots of flat landers as visitors and some of the best 4x4 black diamond trails, trout fishing, biking and skiing in the west.

I like to do most of my own work on my Thor ACE 27.1 X crept for engine stuff. Don't like engine stuff. Be fine stuff doesn't like me.

I am a retired environmental and petroleum mcrobiologist. Married 50 years, 2 daughters, 4 granddaughters. One granddaughter joins us, one daughter and her autistic daughter join us but stay at a hotel/motel at night.

We bought the RV to camp, not to live in. We love the high Alpine lakes of the Sierra's. We take an inflateable 11' pontoon boat with a trolling motor and/or a 2.5 4 stroke gas outboard with us and lots of fishing stuff. Fly rods, flies, needle fish. We're not as good as the fish Hawks or bald eagles but we try. Normally we camp where hookups are not even a thought. Like it that way.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Welcome Forest. Sounds like you and your family are enjoying the good life out there with nature and in the higher elevations. That's what it's all about.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Forest

Welcome.

I read your post on the mods you made to the coach. Impressive.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Hey Grump, I am one of the flat landers (OC) that likes going to Big Bear when we can. How is the fishing up there? We just bought a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Toad so we can get around. We will probably be up again after the CG open in the spring. Welcome and good to hear you are spending the time with your family!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #5

THOR #3186
Brucev: I think they close the lake pretty soon but a couple weeks ago the fishing was good. The lake is down 12+ feet and today with the wind 34 degrees it looks cold cold cold. I don't know if Sorento is open or closed but it is a very nice campground.

Most people probably don't know what a flatlander is. Mammoth bought both mountains so grab your skis and come on up, try to avoid weekends or holidays or when it's snowing.

My jeep is a 1990 YJ built with my homemade wood top. It isn't pretty but it goes anywhere, even on its side. I enjoy the black diamond trails and the old gold mines.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #6

THOR #2544
We stayed at Serrano back in August. It was our first trip with the new RV. I kinda wish they were open for the holidays. We plan on hitting Joshua tree for Christmas as it will be a little warmer. Thanksgiving we plan to be in Vegas for a few days and a couple shows. Enjoy that cold weather!
Old 11-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #7

THOR #3186
We store our RV in Lucerne. I think it was four years ago we got that 5 to 7' snow storm. Serano was open that winter but sustained significant dame from downed trees and branches. Since then they have closed in the winter. Joshua Tree is beautiful as is DV in the early spring. So is Borego Springs and the Salton Sea area.

Camp happy, camp often!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
Welcome Forset Grump. We were up in Serrano late August of this year. Must have missed brucev. Stayed there four days, road our bikes into Big Bear. nice ride We plan to go back next August maybe spend some time in lake Arrowhead and back to Serrano.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #9

THOR #2544
I'll have to look for you guys when we are out and about. We will probably be the only couple on Segways. There is a nice bike trail that starts at Serrano and goes for miles but we stayed pretty close, maybe 5 miles from camp.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Hi all best to introduce myself I suppose

Welcome aboard.