Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #1819
New to "Everything".

I am new to the RV world. I do the PA & TV announcing for the Outlaw Truck & Tractor Pulling Association, from South Dakota to South Texas. Looking forward to experiencing my new way of travel. I have read a lot on this forum and can see that I am going to be a regular here with probably some stupid questions. Sorry.

Just purchased a 2015 Outlaw 37MD. Haven't taken a road trip as of yet. Adding some sway bars, steering assist, tow bar for the 2014 F-150 4x4, and the brake assist as well.

My first lesson was that when I parked it in the storage area when I got home I did not turn off the inverter. I figured when I hit the main disconnect switch that was good. 24 hours later the inverter beeper was going wild. It was down to 9.1. Now I have learned when the power gets that low the front day/night shade will only go 1/2 way down. I understand that it needs to be reprogrammed. Is there anywhere that I can print off the steps to do so? If it is in the Outlaw manual I can't find it. Any other advice to a newbie will always be appreciated. I am in the process of labeling the switches.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First check to make sure you did not have the key in the ignition when putting the shade down. The shade has a safety feature so that it only lowers a certain distance and then stops while driving.

I am not sure if the key in the ignition triggers this or if the key has to be in the on position.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
You may want to calculate your tow capacity to be sure you have enough of a safety margin or comfort level when towing your pickup. Looks like your coach has a 30,000lb CGWR and a 26,000lb GVWR.

It has a 8,000lb trailer hitch, but I would not necessarily go by that to determine your true towing capacity as it might be less, especially if you are hauling toys in your RV.

It might be a case where you should weigh your fully loaded RV to determine your true towing capacity.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:48 AM   #4

THOR #1819
I actually did try the shades with the key in/out, on/off. Good thought though.

And I am going to have to be careful on loading the coach while pulling the F-150. The way it stands now I like about a thousand away to max out. Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep and eye on it.

I did call the service department at the out of state dealership I bought the coach at. He was nice and told me about recalibrating the shades. It is a sequence of button pushing and raising and lowering the shades. I was not at the coach and was driving and not able to write the detailed instructions. It would be nice if they were in print somewhere so that I could print them off and do it right as well as save them for the future goof ups.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCTRPLLR View Post
I did call the service department at the out of state dealership I bought the coach at. He was nice and told me about recalibrating the shades. It is a sequence of button pushing and raising and lowering the shades. I was not at the coach and was driving and not able to write the detailed instructions. It would be nice if they were in print somewhere so that I could print them off and do it right as well as save them for the future goof ups.
I believe the attached shade manual should have the procedure you are looking for. Hopefully this helps you out. I believe our shades are made by MCD.

The manual would not upload because it is larger than 3MB. Here is the link to the manual on MCD's site.

Owners Manual - Public
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #6

THOR #1819
Thanks Dave. That's just what I was looking for. Also I learned that I have to remember to look at each items brand and go to that particular brand information site. I am kinda old fashioned and think that the selling company, like Thor, would have the information printed somewhere.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
It's pretty much industry standard, in both the boating and RV industry to have a generic manual with all of the individual component manuals. There are a few exceptions, but this is more the norm.

On the other hand, most of the components in a RV are made by a 3rd party, so you don't have to go through the manufacturer for most repairs... at least post-warranty.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCTRPLLR View Post
Thanks Dave. That's just what I was looking for. Also I learned that I have to remember to look at each items brand and go to that particular brand information site. I am kinda old fashioned and think that the selling company, like Thor, would have the information printed somewhere.
The next time you talk to Thor customer service ask them for the build sheet and the component list for your coach. The build sheet is basically the options list and the component list identifies all major components (e.g. AC units, water heater etc... and provides the Thor part number, the manufacturers model number and serial number if applicable. The component list for my Challenger listed 33 items.

I use the component list when I am googling info for the systems in my coach. Not sure if it was the manufacturer or the dealer, but when I bought my prior rig (a Forest River Class C) it came with a condensed version of the component list. With the Challenger I happened to mention it while talking to Thor Customer Service and within 5 minutes I had an emailed copy.
FMCA - F432054