Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini TK
State: New York
THOR #10420
Thumbs up NewBe here W/Thor Gemini 2018

Greetings all ! Just ran across this forum specific to the coach my wife and I just purchased...

We've had 6 or so different makes and models over the years. Latest was Winni Class A that had an untimely demise after a head on 4 months ago.

We struggled attempting to do business with CW of Syracuse NY.

In any event, elected to have the punch list of issues solved by another dealer nearby as we found CW accomplished more damage each time they touched it !

Moving right along, getting ready for the first voyage. Fair Haven NY to Sedona AZ in the next week or so.

We rent several waterfront campsites out on the south shore of Great Lake Ontario. Retired 9 years myself and 1 year for the Mrs. Busier now than we were prior to retiring !

Attempting to connect a high pressure gas grille to a low pressure quick connect tap, as others have already discussed, it wont work ! Now, I am leaning toward altering the grille regulator, because I have the disposable can connection hose, so I can go quick connect right into the grille not additionally regulated.... ?

In any event, a lot of valuable info on this forum, hoping to learn some of it ! Cheers !!

Old 01-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Welcome to the Forum Elcapitain. There are a lot of problems solved here. You didn't mention which floor plan and chassis you have.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #4

THOR #10420
That would be the Transit W/5cyl Diesel and TK Model. Slide out dinette and corner bed.

Wanted to be able to bed down without motoring a slide out to do so...

650mile on it to date. Personally only about 30 mi.

Trying to navigate this site. A bit challenging for a newbe... I'm getting it, and thanks for asking !
Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 AM   #5

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
You should love the 3.2 diesel. I have been getting 15-16.5 mpg and it runs right along with plenty of power in all terrain. We have put 7500 on ours. We are headed to AZ in April, first leg of another 7500 mile trip.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #6

THOR #10420
Thanks for the heads up on mileage, that sounds great ! We were hoping for a large increase from the 7 mpg we were getting with the Triton V10 in the Winnebago. We'll tour Az for a week or two then head for Port Aransas Texas for the beach camping on the Gulf....
Old 01-10-2018, 12:49 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
We have the Gemini on the Mercedes chassis, have enjoyed it a lot. Mileage is pretty consistently 16 to 17 MPG, so different than our previous DP which got between 6 and 6.5. Have done a lot of equipment adds to ours, some minor, some pretty major.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #8

THOR #10420
Interesting, we were torn between the Benz and the Ford.... Became scared after reading of $400 oil changes....

Are there any reference to any of the upgrades on this forum ? If so, and if not too much trouble could you link them. Curious to see what you can do to one of these.

Would you consider yours a B+ or C
Old 01-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #9

THOR #5821
Have heard it referred to as a B+ or small C. I have had it serviced at the local MB dealer, and complete service + some extras cost a little over $200.00. They do take 14 quarts of 100% synthetic oil, which is not inexpensive. Adds at least the major ones, leveling system, 2nd air conditioner, satellite system, propane connector for BBQ, inverter, track shades for the cab area, running boards and more. A lot was part of the purchase, and I added some myself.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:43 AM   #10

THOR #10420
Great improvements.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 AM   #11

THOR #5821
We had a 41 foot DP prior to the Gemini, so there was quite an adjustment. Just got tired of the size and weight, so thought we would try this for awhile. So far we like more about it, than we dislike, but a lot of those adds was because we had it on the DP and missed it on the Gemini. The second AC we discovered, at least for our liking was necessary in hot weather. We matched the dometic low profile that was in the back, so the front one looks like it belongs, and is also a heat pump like the rear one. We got out once in it when it was 97 degrees, made a huge difference. We looked at some that were on the Transit chassis, but I really wanted and like the MB V6 diesel. Its a great running little engine, and very quiet. Also the MB chassis is a bit heavier and though I rarely do, wanted if I choose to, to tow our tow car. Frankly, though it can, its not that impressive when its towing, but then I'm comparing it to the 40,000 pound DP with a nine liter Cummins diesel in it, which is really no comparison. We have found, renting an econobox when we get where we are going, really is not that big a deal, and the Gemini is small enough, that you can get it into parking lots for provisions if necessary.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:07 AM   #12

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #7152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcapitain View Post
Greetings all ! Just ran across this forum specific to the coach my wife and I just purchased...

We've had 6 or so different makes and models over the years. Latest was Winni Class A that had an untimely demise after a head on 4 months ago.

We struggled attempting to do business with CW of Syracuse NY.

In any event, elected to have the punch list of issues solved by another dealer nearby as we found CW accomplished more damage each time they touched it !

Moving right along, getting ready for the first voyage. Fair Haven NY to Sedona AZ in the next week or so.

We rent several waterfront campsites out on the south shore of Great Lake Ontario. Retired 9 years myself and 1 year for the Mrs. Busier now than we were prior to retiring !

Attempting to connect a high pressure gas grille to a low pressure quick connect tap, as others have already discussed, it wont work ! Now, I am leaning toward altering the grille regulator, because I have the disposable can connection hose, so I can go quick connect right into the grille not additionally regulated.... ?

In any event, a lot of valuable info on this forum, hoping to learn some of it ! Cheers !!

Yes, re the grill, you’d need to remove the grills regulator, we did and the weber works fine.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #13

Model: Axis RUV 24.1
THOR #9288
New Forum members

Hello El Capt. and the Mrs. ,
Welcome to the forum which is a great place to get advice on the Thor Products. Sorry to hear of your Head-on but the most important thing is you are all right I hope. You can always find another Rv but ya can't replace yourself or the bride as well as other family members and even the furry ones.
I was sorry to read you had a problem with CO and I must say you folks aren't alone on that issue as I had my issues with one in Kingston to the point I was about to sign and I decided CW and me would not be a good mix. We went up to Albany and were actually pleased. Fantastic dealership, sales staff and saved a lot. We purchased a RUV Thor Axis 2018 in November. We live in the Hudson Valley so Albany was just a nice 137 mile ride up the Thruway about a tad bit less than a 2hour trip. It works for us!
We have not put much miles on the unit due to family illnesses ( elderly parents) as well as my DAV issues from the Rice War! What is funny is we have the unit sitting in the yard haven't even slept in it and right across the road is our Town Campgrounds called Korn's Campgrounds. Now that is stupid funny. One would think we'd pull in there for a couple test runs on set up and take down as well as a bit of practice of backing into a slot , pulling out and then the challenge of pulling into and parking the unit in our yard. Our yard...God save the queen on that one.
So enjoy the unit have fun and rive safe but enjoy your ride! All the best! K9Piper
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #14

THOR #10420
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixitct View Post
Yes, re the grill, you’d need to remove the grills regulator, we did and the weber works fine.
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I purchased the 25' hose with quick connect on one end and the disposable cyl connection on the other. Now I have to configure the use of a disposable regulator, with no regulation, on the opposite end or find where I can purchase a low press regulator, disposable connection ? I think ! ?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #15

THOR #10420
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Piper View Post
Hello El Capt. and the Mrs. ,
Welcome to the forum which is a great place to get advice on the Thor Products. Sorry to hear of your Head-on but the most important thing is you are all right I hope. You can always find another Rv but ya can't replace yourself or the bride as well as other family members and even the furry ones.
I was sorry to read you had a problem with CO and I must say you folks aren't alone on that issue as I had my issues with one in Kingston to the point I was about to sign and I decided CW and me would not be a good mix. We went up to Albany and were actually pleased. Fantastic dealership, sales staff and saved a lot. We purchased a RUV Thor Axis 2018 in November. We live in the Hudson Valley so Albany was just a nice 137 mile ride up the Thruway about a tad bit less than a 2hour trip. It works for us!
We have not put much miles on the unit due to family illnesses ( elderly parents) as well as my DAV issues from the Rice War! What is funny is we have the unit sitting in the yard haven't even slept in it and right across the road is our Town Campgrounds called Korn's Campgrounds. Now that is stupid funny. One would think we'd pull in there for a couple test runs on set up and take down as well as a bit of practice of backing into a slot , pulling out and then the challenge of pulling into and parking the unit in our yard. Our yard...God save the queen on that one.
So enjoy the unit have fun and rive safe but enjoy your ride! All the best! K9Piper
Thanks for the information with respect to the Albany location ! We found the Syracuse CW not competent to be in charge of a free picnic lunch let along a $70,000 RUV ! (At least from the service and parts end of their operation)
Sounds like the Korns trip could work well for a maiden voyage, if you forgot something, you wouldn't be put out too far ! I am chomping at the bit to get out of here now, but, we have our income taxes and other business to take care of. Yesterday was start loading some of our needed items in the new Gemini and test the grille day.... Back to the drawing board on the grille.
The untimely demise of our Class A Winni was tragic with the other two occupants of the other car deceased ! Horrifying at best.... Me going one way them the other, they were struck from behind catapulting them into the grille of the winni. Sad story ! The 13,000 lbs of rig saved my life, broke my back among other things, but, saved my life !

Just going on 4 months after missing out on the fall RV trips we make annually, we are ready to get out of this weather. The last week barely breaking 10 F and lake effect snow nightly has been killing me while trying to keep up with snow removal and fire wood... Down to the final punch list of things to do, so, the end is in sight. Hoping the Gemini works out as we have not had water in it yet, too cold.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
El C...
Congratulations on a great choice, and welcome to our madhouse!
Sorry to hear about the Death of the Big Winnie, but glad that you're okay...
What other rigs have you owned over the years?
How about some pictures?

(I'm also pretty new here, and site navigation has been... interesting!)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #17

THOR #10420
Worked our way up from the bottom. Starting with an old Winni flat nose, believe it was in the 70's. Went into and '86 Honey on a Ford E 350 chassis, gas. And onto a georgie boy Pursuit 32', chevy 454 drive, after that, Keystone Sprinter 2004 5 th wheel then the 2002 Winni Adventurer. And now the '18 Gemini TX 23.5'. I was torn between going bigger with a DP or downsizing from the 30 + Class A to the RUV B+ ! The RUV won. We dont sit long where ever we travel, 2 or 3 days anywhere and I have to keep moving.

From what others have said in regard to mileage, I think we made the right move with the Transit 3.2 Diesel.

Tomorrow I take the Gemini to another dealer to initiate the warren-tee repairs and possibly get them done when we return.

Strange that CW had a laundry list of things that had to be done to it, do not know of my changing repair locations and have yet to reach out to us what so ever ? Been 3 or 4 weeks.... Good riddance !
Old 01-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
My Missus and I agonized over our choice for about a Month...
We loved the Compass, but had to have room for the motorcycle.
Rather than tow a trailer (and be about 39 feet long...); we chose the Outlaw for it's garage.

We made the right choice for us; but it was a darn tough choice to make!

Let us know how the adaptation to the RUV proceeds; good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:18 AM   #19

THOR #10420
Thanks, will do, thinking about a smaller bike on the Reese hitch, scooter like, just to get around a bit... (The big bike seems out of the question so far as a hitch receiver type mount as 750 lbs exceeds the hitch rating I believe...?!?!?)

Hope the Gemini fits the mission !
Old 01-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #20

THOR #10420
Wow, just looked up the Outlaw, that's quite a rig, NICE ! With space for the scooter, big plus !!