Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #10374
New to forum

Just purchased a 2018 Miramar 34.2 . So far just minor problems that i repaired. What can be done to tighten up the steering, 300 miles and I felt like I was whipped.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	8661

Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
First, congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!!

You are probably experiencing the same problems everyone has with the F-53 chassis, being blown around by semi’s and wind.

The first fix is free and makes a HUGE difference, it’s called the cheap handling fix or CHF. The fix involves moving the links on your front and rear sway bars, takes about 1 1/2 hours with simple tools. Search CHF on the forum for details. After doing the CHF get your front end aligned. After completing the CHF and alignment you will think you are driving a new coach!!!

Next add a steering stabilizer, Safe-T-Plus and Roadmaster are the major players, my nod goes to Safe-T-Plus. The steering stabilizer is a safety item that also reduces driver fatigue. There are several YouTube videos that explain and demonstrate the CHF and steering stabilizers.

Lastly you can add a track bar to the rear.

Best wishes, go out and have FUN in your new coach!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Welcome and congrats! I did the CHF, then safeTplus stabilizer. One hand driving, no problem with wind or semi trucks. Jerry
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #4

State: South Carolina
THOR #10463
Welcome !!
And Wow! to SuperD and Jegdrum5050 .. Probably just made his week with a quick and perfect solution to a problem that was most likely keeping him up at night !
Awesome to both!!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Congrats and welcome! Just the CHF and alignment will make a huge difference.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Party!
Could some of it be the stress of driving something completely new (and pretty darned expensive)? Try relaxing your while-knuckle grip on the wheel, and take a deep breath.
It might not help; but it WILL make you feel better!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #7

State: California
THOR #8228
I recently got a 34.2 2015. The wife and I did the CHF on front and back bars and it changed from a boat back to a land vehicle. Tomorrow will be adding a Steer Safe steering stabilizer. I look at Safe T plus etc... I'm surer they're fine and expensive but for my less money I like how the Steer Safe hooks to both the individual wheels x- braces and not just a shock absorber in the middle.
https://youtu.be/1cual2q2y2I
Anyway, I'll get a chance to test it out properly on my trip back home from Quartzsite to L.A. which btw was a 2 handed drive out here.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Welcome to the site. I have a 2017 34.4 Miramar and just passed the 2500 mile mark on the clock.

The first thing to do is get a front end alignment. I was whipped after driving mine about 100 miles. I found out that the wheels were towed out by 26mm. Make that as your first todo: item. This alone made a night and day difference. Also if you want this to be covered by Thor, be sure that it is well documented! They pushed back on me and I just didn't bother fighting it.

As far as the CHF, on mine at least it cannot be done without extending the linkage. Also, something that I read early on about the CHF that concerns me is that some people were saying that it makes the front suspension so tight it puts your front windshield at risk. After driving over I-20 through Shreveport recently, I'm glad that my suspension is still stock there.

After some careful thought and consideration, my next modification is to get a front steering stablizer such as the Safe-T-Plus. Driving on the interstate, semi trucks will still blow me away as they begin their pass and suck me back in after they pass. While I've gotten accustomed to anticipating this while sitting in the right lane, I've gotten surprised when my mind starts wandering as if I was driving a car.

As for sway, I would tighten up the rear end by either extending the linkage to do the CHF or replace the sway bar with an upgraded one.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:18 AM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #8022
Handling

We purchased last year a 2016 Miramar 34.3 and the man before me had the front and rear stablizer bars replaced with larger ones and I can drive it like a pickup or suv for handling its great. We had a 2015 Jayco and I did add the steering stablizer and the CHF and that did help on that model
Also in Georgia , Warner Robins so keep in touch as we have similar models .
Milo
milo.lenette@gmail.com
Old 01-30-2018, 06:32 AM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to the Party!
Could some of it be the stress of driving something completely new (and pretty darned expensive)? Try relaxing your while-knuckle grip on the wheel, and take a deep breath.
It might not help; but it WILL make you feel better!
Great advice, Bob. I experienced the same thing - being worn out at the end of each day. As I finally realized my elbows were locked and a was stiff arming the steering wheel, I made myself relax and just drive. That made everything much better.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Great advice, Bob. I experienced the same thing - being worn out at the end of each day. As I finally realized my elbows were locked and a was stiff arming the steering wheel, I made myself relax and just drive. That made everything much better.
Since I ride a Can Am Spyder: I've learned that relaxing my grip on the bars makes a HUGE difference!
That has also proven to be true when driving anything!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Yes, that’s one of the first things they teach you in motorcycle and performance driving school. Just relax your grip. The next thing they teach you is to shift your gaze farther down the road. I can almost guarantee that this will help too. It will smooth out your driving so you don’t make as many small corrections and it will help you to see possible hazards earlier - which matters a lot on motorcycles and RVs. Not criticizing your driving skills just pointing out that the required skill set is different for these vehicles.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 AM   #13

State: California
THOR #8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
I recently got a 34.2 2015. The wife and I did the CHF on front and back bars and it changed from a boat back to a land vehicle. Tomorrow will be adding a Steer Safe steering stabilizer. I look at Safe T plus etc... I'm surer they're fine and expensive but for my less money I like how the Steer Safe hooks to both the individual wheels x- braces and not just a shock absorber in the middle.
https://youtu.be/1cual2q2y2I
Anyway, I'll get a chance to test it out properly on my trip back home from Quartzsite to L.A. which btw was a 2 handed drive out here.
Addendum: Steer safe really made for a more relaxed drive. 1 handed driving was pretty effortless, and since I didn't want to burn up petrol at 70+ I tried to keep it 60-65, which made for lots of big rigs passing me by... glad to say I barely felt them pass by. [emoji7]