Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #5408
New Guy Questions

Since I am new to the Forum and learning about RV's I wonder how others feel about New RV versus Used RV. Diesel RV versus Gas RV. What are your thoughts and ideas on this. Is there a significant difference in maintenance costs and repairs between gas and diesel? Are 2 or 3 year old gently used RV's a good option? I ask because I always liked having new as I know how they have been treated/maintained since Day 1. Thanks for any input you may have.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Diesel or gas ??? Depends on where & how you you plan use it. If in the mountains a lot I'd say diesel, more power, exhaust brake, & in most cases better mpg. If only local weekends/vacations buy the gas as they are cheaper to buy & maintain.
New or used?? Simply a personal preference. If you can find a gently used one a couple years old chances are they've got most of the major bugs worked out leaving you with the little stuff, yes there will be stuff to fix, it's a rv.
Personally I'd have to go diesel because most all of the gas ones nowadays are the Ford V10 & that cancels the gas choice for me (not trying to start a truck war, I just don't do Fords).
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by clif02 View Post
Since I am new to the Forum and learning about RV's I wonder how others feel about New RV versus Used RV. Diesel RV versus Gas RV. What are your thoughts and ideas on this. Is there a significant difference in maintenance costs and repairs between gas and diesel? Are 2 or 3 year old gently used RV's a good option? I ask because I always liked having new as I know how they have been treated/maintained since Day 1. Thanks for any input you may have.
I was dead set on buying a diesel or nothing at all. Price led us to drive a Winnebago View on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis which gets around 15 mpg. A couple of things immediately struck me when I actually drove it but the end result was that I didn't like how it drove and didn't like climbing down into the cockpit... then there was that price thing again. All a matter of personal preference and how thick your wallet is, I suppose....
Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by clif02 View Post
We have had 2 used motorhomes, our first had over 50K on it, but had tlc from the previous owner and we found it very suitable for our entry level rv...then, we bought a B+ used...only 8k on it..again gently used...great motorhome with no problems...then a new toyhauler..good experience...which leads us to our
2016 Axis 24.1 ...LOVE IT !! We have had alot of fun customizing it to our personal preferences !
All of our motorhomes have been gas V10 on the Ford E350 and E450.
Personal preference..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:10 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Pros and cons to both. How often will you use it and how long each time? I would first be concerned about the floor plan, if you buy one you don't really like you will never be happy!

Gas or diesel, look at floor plan.

New or used, look at floor plan and overall condition. There are a lot of good used coaches on the market and reliability gets better all the time.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 AM   #6

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
When it comes to the gas vs. diesel question I consider how many miles I plan on using the RV. When we went full time pulling a heavy 39' fiver I would not even have considered a gas tow vehicle. Putting 15,000 plus miles on per year on any RV it should probably be diesel. On the other hand we are now part time campers and will probably put between 4,000 to 5,000 miles on per year so I am fine with a V-10 gas.

When we were full time diesel was costing me anywhere from .20 to .80 more per gallon. Those costs plus more expensive oil changes and fuel filter changes do make maintenance cost more, however I was getting between 9 and 11mpg towing.

As far as used vs. new, I have bought two gently used and one new. Very few issues with both used RV's, a little more problems with the new one. For my money I think you are ahead of the game by getting a good 1 or 2 year old unit.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:40 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL
Putting 15,000 plus miles on per year on any RV it should probably be diesel.
I think that # is far too low. Most gas engines these days are perfectly happy with 15k or even 20k/year. They are far higher quality than they were in the past.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:50 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
The answer to your questions is, it depends. 6 great comments so far, and I agree with most everything said.

My experience with diesels would suggest that they generally don't do well if you let them set too much. If you will be letting your RV set for extended periods, a gas engine can handle that better.

I support the comments about gently used rigs, with proper research and patience.

What is perfect for me might be all wrong for you. And what is right for me now wouldn't have been right for me at earlier life stages.

Before you let a RV salesperson grab your wallet, and you plunk down your $$$, try out a few rental units. That will help you sort out your preferences. It might seem pricey, but it might keep you from getting stuck with the wrong RV!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #9

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
It has been my experience as many will tell you on this site that even if you buy it new you are going to have many issues that will have to be fixed. Gas is louder but cheaper and I have gotten used to the noise. The more important factor is who do you buy it from. The layout and performance of the coach I think are as important too. Drive it and not just around the block.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #5408
Thanks everyone! I am taking all this in and doing my best to plan ahead. Right now we are looking at full time with annual mileage of 7-8k a year. I like the power of a diesel but the comparative ease of maintenance as well as reduced costs of gas. Whatever we get the floorplan has to suit my wife. That is the most important part of the equatin. Thanks everyone!