Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2022, 09:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler A27
State: California
THOR #27427
New to this forum stuff and RVing

Hope you can help me out. Real new to this Forum stuff and Motor Home ownership. A New rig, cargo trailer and Jeep Wrangler I would love to hear your input on some topics.
Bought our first MH last April. A 2021 Thor Freedom Traveler A27 (new V8). Living in Central Ca. we traveled to Southern Idaho for our "shake down cruz" (our daughter lives there) and came home happy. Made a few more trips to Idaho to pick up cargo trailer to haul our Polaris SXS. I installed a rear sway bar and a steering stabilizer; made for a smoother ride. My problem is I have a heavy foot. When traveling thru Nevada the speed limit is 80 MPH. It doesn't matter if I am hauling 4200 pounds behind me or traveling solo: I can't get the RV to do more than 76 MPH. Is there somewhere on the Forum that specifically deals with engine mods and can something be done simply to improve MPH?
My other inquiry is I am setting up our 2022 Jeep Wrangler automatic for flat towing. I have installed all the required equipment and connections using Etrailers suggested parts with the DEMCO DOU stay N play. The Jeeps owner manual explains how to deal with the transmission but nothing about the state of the ignition. With electronic assisted steering I would think that the ignition would have to be on, and a supplemental charging wire installed from coach to rig. Iam I close?
Any and all help or comments would be appreciated.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The engine's computer has your speed limited to 76 MPH from the factory. IF you have tires to support it you could purchase an aftermarket tune to change that and other settings, or you could drive at the speed most RVs do which is 63 - 65 MPH.

Your Owners Manual tells you to "turn the engine off" after following the procedure to put the transfer case in neutral. I would verify you have no steering wheel lock (you shouldn't), and turn the engine off and remove the key as you normally do. If the Stay-in-Play braking system installation doesn't require a charging line then I wouldn't worry about it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:55 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur View Post
Hope you can help me out. Real new to this Forum stuff and Motor Home ownership. A New rig, cargo trailer and Jeep Wrangler I would love to hear your input on some topics.
Bought our first MH last April. A 2021 Thor Freedom Traveler A27 (new V8). Living in Central Ca. we traveled to Southern Idaho for our "shake down cruz" (our daughter lives there) and came home happy. Made a few more trips to Idaho to pick up cargo trailer to haul our Polaris SXS. I installed a rear sway bar and a steering stabilizer; made for a smoother ride. My problem is I have a heavy foot. When traveling thru Nevada the speed limit is 80 MPH. It doesn't matter if I am hauling 4200 pounds behind me or traveling solo: I can't get the RV to do more than 76 MPH. Is there somewhere on the Forum that specifically deals with engine mods and can something be done simply to improve MPH?
My other inquiry is I am setting up our 2022 Jeep Wrangler automatic for flat towing. I have installed all the required equipment and connections using Etrailers suggested parts with the DEMCO DOU stay N play. The Jeeps owner manual explains how to deal with the transmission but nothing about the state of the ignition. With electronic assisted steering I would think that the ignition would have to be on, and a supplemental charging wire installed from coach to rig. Iam I close?
Any and all help or comments would be appreciated.
The Ford F-53 chassis comes with speed limiter based on the max continuous speed recommended by the tire manufacturers. It is settable with a programmer, but I wouldn't it would be safe to do so unless you install higher speed rated tires.
G670 RV ULT Tires (139913050) by GOODYEAR TIRES®. 245/70R19.5, Speed Index 75 mph, Max Load 4542 lbs, Tire Weight 69 lbs. Season: All Season. Type: Commercial (HD). This top-rank tire from Goodyear is designed with superb performance and responsive handling in mind.

I tow with a dolly so no recommendations.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:44 PM   #4

THOR #27427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The Ford F-53 chassis comes with speed limiter based on the max continuous speed recommended by the tire manufacturers. It is settable with a programmer, but I wouldn't it would be safe to do so unless you install higher speed rated tires.
G670 RV ULT Tires (139913050) by GOODYEAR TIRES®. 245/70R19.5, Speed Index 75 mph, Max Load 4542 lbs, Tire Weight 69 lbs. Season: All Season. Type: Commercial (HD). This top-rank tire from Goodyear is designed with superb performance and responsive handling in mind.

I tow with a dolly so no recommendations.
Speed rated tires. NASCAR, funny cars, dragsters now RV's. Makes sense. Guess I am driving at 76mph until I have to change them.
Thanks for the input
Old 08-12-2022, 10:55 PM   #5

THOR #27427
Yes, the manual states to turn off engine but that doesn't mean the push to start button isn't activated in the ACC position (1 button push). It's the "electronic assisted steering" part that gets me. will the jeep follow blindly with all power off? Not disagreeing with you, just never towed before and don't know what to look out for.
As for the charging. Demco uses the toad battery for power so I guess a charge line would be a good idea.
Thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-2022, 11:52 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Yes, the manual states to turn off engine but that doesn't mean the push to start button isn't activated in the ACC position (1 button push). It's the "electronic assisted steering" part that gets me. will the jeep follow blindly with all power off? Not disagreeing with you, just never towed before and don't know what to look out for.
As for the charging. Demco uses the toad battery for power so I guess a charge line would be a good idea.
Thanks for the help!
Electronic assisted steering sounds like they've got electric power steering, doesn't need to be on to flat tow. Due to the wheel caster, tires will turn to follow towing vehicle.. no 'power' assist required.

Watch out for errors in the OEM owners manual as far as flat towing. For example the 2013 wrangler manual says to leave key in 'acc' position... which is completely wrong. That only makes sense if their is a steering wheel lock, JK's as far as I know don't have one (well, mine doesn't at least).
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks for the help!
Do you have to have the engine on so that the hydraulic assisted steering works in a toad when towing? The answer is obviously "no". Now some vehicles with electrically assisted steering that are flat towable do require the battery to be disconnected when flat towing to completely disable that assist.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:42 AM   #8

THOR #27427
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
Electronic assisted steering sounds like they've got electric power steering, doesn't need to be on to flat tow. Due to the wheel caster, tires will turn to follow towing vehicle.. no 'power' assist required.

Watch out for errors in the OEM owners manual as far as flat towing. For example the 2013 wrangler manual says to leave key in 'acc' position... which is completely wrong. That only makes sense if their is a steering wheel lock, JK's as far as I know don't have one (well, mine doesn't at least).
No steering lock on mine. Guess I'll put the drive train in neutral, make sure all electronics are off in the cabin, hook her up to the RV and move on! Leaving the battery hooked up.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2022, 03:20 AM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Don't have any experience with Ford's latest greatest V8, but if it's comparable in mpg to their V10 you're going to spending buckets of $$ on fuel trying to do 80 mph towing either the Jeep or trailer with the SXS.
The V10 got about 8 mpg on a good day solo at 60-65 mph, put something in tow & faster speeds you could hear the fuel tank flex from the suction on it getting 4-6 mpg.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Welcome to the forum. I hope I’m never behind you, or beside you when you pass me at 75 mph. That fast is an accident waiting to happen. Neither your coach or trailer are designed for those speeds.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:28 PM   #11

THOR #27427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Don't have any experience with Ford's latest greatest V8, but if it's comparable in mpg to their V10 you're going to spending buckets of $$ on fuel trying to do 80 mph towing either the Jeep or trailer with the SXS.
The V10 got about 8 mpg on a good day solo at 60-65 mph, put something in tow & faster speeds you could hear the fuel tank flex from the suction on it getting 4-6 mpg.
Owned this rig for a little over a year now. Put about 2000 miles on it. Mostly traveling thru Nevada to Idaho. Traveled with and without trailer and 2X2. Nevada is really flat and pretty much straight for miles on end. Traveling at average speed of 70 MPH (my bad) solo I am getting 8.5 to 9 mpg. With the cargo averaging around 7 to 8 mpg. Guess this new V8 isn't all that bad but then again not much driving in the mountains. Like I originally said: I am new to this RV stuff and really didn't know about engines and chassis designs. Bought it because the wife thought it was cute.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:53 PM   #12

THOR #27427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I hope I’m never behind you, or beside you when you pass me at 75 mph. That fast is an accident waiting to happen. Neither your coach or trailer are designed for those speeds.
have you been thru Nevada lately? 2 lanes each way, 18 wheelers hauling double and tripple trailers, doing 80+ MPH for countless miles of straight level road. It's the slow ones you have to watch for. I don't really care for such speeds on back roads and city highways/freeways but was tired of being passed and blown all over the road and having 18-wheelers ride my ass. It's a smoother ride to keep up with them and go with the flow if you can. So, if in Nevada I won't be the only RV'r passing you.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:46 PM   #13

State: Alberta
THOR #12493
Towing speed

My owners manual for my Chevy Cruze limits towing speed to 65mph.