Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
New Gemini 23TR owner

Hello, I’m Nancy from Vancouver, BC, introducing myself --as I’ve just become a motorhome owner --with my purchase of a Thor Gemini. Having been a pop-up truck camper for around 20 years, I am very much looking forward to the all-in-one experience and to spending more time traveling! During my pre-purchase research I’ve been benefiting from reading and interacting on this site and I’ve used that valuable info during my recent orientation and PDI. I plan to regularly read topics on this site (and to post a few questions;-) --as I have new RV systems to learn, newbie motorhome problems to solve, not to mention trips to plan! So going forward, I hope to continue to benefit from this group’s collective wisdom and experience. Nancy

Old 01-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Welcome aboard Nancy. And congratulations on the Gemini. You'll find lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here to answer any questions.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Welcome Nancy! There is always alot to learn when you get a different unit, fortunate for finding the right forum to help with your transition. Happy trails!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:05 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #6417
Smile New Gemini 23TR owner

Hi Nancy, just like you I have just purchased a new 23TR. We have been RVing for a while now with different types of rigs. Really liked out Lance truck camper, but it is not nice for elderly folks. We are looking forward to using this coach as it is so convenient to use.

David McDonald (Just Me)
Old 02-13-2017, 04:30 AM   #5

THOR #5922
Gemini

Hi David, glad you are on this site! I see where the various owners share their model specific info --so it can only get better if there is more of us;-) I am currently waiting for my unit to come out of its 1st warranty repair appointment (tankless hotwater heater valve, house batteries, misc). I am hoping to head south directly afterwards....
Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Mexico
THOR #6496
Thor Compass ( Gemini) 23TB

Newbie here as well. Looking to make my first purchase, and believe I will choose a Thor Compass 23TB. The Ford Chassis/Platform from engine to undercarriage looks good, and it occurs Thor has done a nice job with this unit. From those with either firsthand experience with this model, or otherwise, please chime in. Thanks so much in advance. Dean
Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #7

THOR #5922
Compass or Gemini

Hi talktodean,
I see the two (Compass or Gemini) are pretty much identical, I do like their floorplans a lot. That and their included amenities were what swayed me to buy (ok, not the 3 TVs;-). There are postings on the Thorforums that mention problems for new owners to be aware of and I was right on them during my dealer walkthrough;-) I will have more to say (chime in) once my unit comes back and all is sorted out! My immediate plans include a 3 week shake out trip so all will be revealed I hope --the included Thor and Ford warranties seem pretty comprehensive. Nancy
Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktodean View Post
Newbie here as well. Looking to make my first purchase, and believe I will choose a Thor Compass 23TB. The Ford Chassis/Platform from engine to undercarriage looks good, and it occurs Thor has done a nice job with this unit. From those with either firsthand experience with this model, or otherwise, please chime in. Thanks so much in advance. Dean
On Transit Cutaway Chassis/Platform:

The Transit is much newer and modern than the old E-Series van/cutaway chassis, and it shows. There is no doubt about that. There is a lot to like.

There are a few things to consider on the negative side which may or may not be important to you depending on how you will end up using the motorhome.

The most obvious is much lower Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, which limits MH size and or cargo carrying capacity.

Gross Combined Weight Rating is much lower than E-Series as well which limits towing capacity. Fortunately many owners with compact MHs this size don't tow a car. But if you plan to tow a trailer, it may be an issue to investigate.

The driver's seat doesn't rotate on units I've seen. I expect Ford may fix this eventually by relocating the parking brake, but as far as I've seen its still there on floor next to seat.

Because the floor isn't flat, when the passenger seat is rotated to face back, it feels too low to floor to me.

Lastly, my wife and I both find getting to and out of the front seats much more restrictive than on E-Series cutaways. For us, this is the main drawback. The other issues we could live with since we want a small rig in the first place, and if we ever towed it could be a very light trailer.

It comes down to personal preferences. We like the cab area to feel as open to the coach as possible, closer to the feel of a Class A. In the Transit, we feel the opposite, more so than in other van cutaways.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #9

THOR #6496
Thanks so much for your observations. I do not want to tow anything, of put anything on the back period, so that eliminates that concern. I'm looking for size and functionality. Unlike most class B's and smaller class C's generators are undersized. in the Compass 3600W. Then I looked at tank sizes, both gray/blk and fresh. What I liked the most was exceptional ride and handling. Get underneath the chassis, it is built Ford tough ( no I don't work for Ford).
Secondly, all the stuff that Thor adds, the work looked good. This is tougher than purchasing a home. Lots of things have to work well. Then price/value relationship occurs as good as any. Any actual Compass/Gemini users out there?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #10

THOR #6496
Thanks Nancy. Good luck working out any quirks. Yes, 3 tv's seems overkill, but I get it. I only have one in my home, so.... I figure after purchase a good week or two within the state of NM, will hopefully shake out stuff if need be, and get me acquainted and up to speed on procedures like dumping, propane burn rate, etc...
Old 02-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
.....cut.... What I liked the most was exceptional ride and handling. Get underneath the chassis, it is built Ford tough ( no I don't work for Ford).
Secondly, all the stuff that Thor adds, the work looked good. ....cut....

I think smaller motorhomes like the Gemini will likely ride and handle much better than larger commercial-truck-based rigs. The independent front suspension alone is so much more advanced than an axle held in place by leaf springs. Plus the center of gravity is lower, etc... Like I said, there is a lot to like, particularly when it comes to fuel economy. These are things that make us like smaller motorhomes.

What I like best about Transit and Mercedes Sprinters is that their chassis are semi-unitized, which in practice means manufacturers don't (can't) stretch them to make wheelbase longer. I really like that the chassis is left as manufactured by Ford or Mercedes.

I hope I didn't come across as too critical in previous post -- was just being objective. We have a hard time compromising, which makes our search difficult. For the most part we like the Transit a lot.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We have the 24TX on the Mercedes chassis. Its a slightly heaver chassis then the transit, though it still presents towing and weight restrictions. I have towed our HHR with it, but won't do so on long trips or over mountainous terrain. The car back there just puts everything right at the edge of max, not comfortable, at least for me. Mercedes engineered the drivers seat to be rotatable, by allowing the parking brake handle to be depressed flat on the floor, with the brake applied. To release, just pull the handle up, it locks in its functional position. In a small motorhome, that extra seat IMO is pretty important to have available. We downsized from a very large DP, and drivability was very important, plus my wife is willing to drive this, but wouldn't the DP. We find the Gemini to be easier to use, though the lack of interior space has presented lots of things to adjust to.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:29 AM   #13

THOR #5922
Towing:
I have no plans to tow but I am thinking about a hitch mounted bike rack --I just have to figure out a "lock out" for the slide extension button (23TR) so I'm sure to dismount the bike before pushing out the slide! (This won't be a problem for the 23TB;-) Maybe painter's tape will work.
Low passenger side /swivel:
I happen to have a 3" or 4" deep dense foam cushion (bought for my hip replacement rehab) that I use on that seat once swiveled --then its height seems perfect. I did find it very hard to swivel initially but it has become easier --or I just understand better what I'm trying to do...
Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 AM   #14

THOR #6496
You brought some great points up. I never heard of "unitized" body, but that makes sense. On inspecting the under side, I did not and like the fact the frame went full length to back bumper. Also, another good point you brought up was the lower CG, which definitely must help with regard to handling, yes. Thanks again. Forum is informative, friendly, awesome.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:55 AM   #15

THOR #6496
I DID like the fact the frame went full length. Oops on my keyboard
Old 02-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
I DID like the fact the frame went full length. Oops on my keyboard
Not to get too technical, but I find these newer chassis very interesting.

If you look at Ford specs, all Transit cutaways are shipped with frames extending 45 inches behind rear wheels. Most motorhomes will have an extension bolted on from that point back -- probably 2 to 3 feet long depending on motorhome length and selected wheelbase.

These Transit chassis are highly engineered, as are Sprinters and ProMasters. As far as I can tell, these chassis manufacturers provide splice points at the very rear for extending the main chassis rails. The metal is relatively thin and high strength, so you don't want anyone cutting and welding on them to stretch the wheelbase. To me that's a good restriction.

The result should be a lighter motorhome with a lower floor; both which contribute to fuel economy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	3978  
Old 02-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Here is a better view of the very rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	3979  
Old 02-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #18

State: Alaska
THOR #6537
Still wondering...

How do you access the generator to check/change the oil?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #19

THOR #6496
I'm looking at the 23TB, which is a side slide. The generator in that unit is easily accessible from rear outside compartment door on passenger's side.
I believe in the 23TR, rear slide, the generator is in the middle on the chassis in the rear. I don't have all the answers, but something to consider, yes.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #20

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
On the 24TX the generator is accessible on the right side, right in front of the rear wheel.

Tags
gemini