Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
New gemini owner

Me and the wife bought a 2017 gemini in febuary. Lots of small details to learn. On demand water heater, operating furnace correctly, trying not to break anything. Putting air in rear dual tires, was a challenge. It has a decorative hub cap. The trick is only three lug nuts are needed to take off cap. You tell them apart by the hash mark on the lug nut,and stem extensions are a aftermarket item. Also a clear 90° elbow when draining tanks is a must. But, we are excited to be going on our first long distance trip from ill. To SD. In a few weeks. Stay tuned for some good war stories.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Which Gemini did you get? far as checking air pressure in the rear tires, I had my tire guy install valve extensions and mount them in the wheel covers. Its now very simple to check air pressure in the rear tires.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #3

THOR #7475
We have a 23tr . As far as stem extensions, its on to do list after our trip.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:23 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Good tip: only three lug nuts are needed to take off cap

Nice to have another Gemini owner on the forum and I'm looking forward to your stories.
I have had the decorative hub cap (or sim as they call it) replaced as a warranty item. When I first got my 23tr it was missing caps for 2-3 of the lug nuts on the passenger rear sim (so I now guess that nothing was holding it in place). The sim had shifted and was rubbing on a valve stem to the point that the tire had developed a slow leak. Reading your post makes me think they were just not replaced properly during dealer prep. Regardless, Thor covered the sim replacement plus 3rd party work on the tire stem (at Kal Tire) then once the new sim (complete with all lug nut covers) came in my dealership installed. My first long road trip (Vancouver BC to Palm Springs this past February) was after the damaged valve stem was replace but without the decorative cover on one of the 4 visible tires --the Gemini still preformed great!
Nancy
Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #5

THOR #7475
Thanks for the valued tip. We also had a slow leak. It turned out to be a screw. Thats how we discovered how difficult it was to put air in rear tires. I will definitely address this issue and ask thor for a refund after our trip. Also we discovered a missing lug nut cover on opposite side. Easy fix. Are you aware that if you have a android phone, you can get Netflix app. And mirror onto any of the tvs . Did you have trouble working furnace? Have you boondocked? With or without generator? How often is oil change?
Old 05-25-2017, 01:01 AM   #6

THOR #5821
On ours, all rear tire valves were inaccessible, and when my tire guy came to install extenders etc. we discovered the inside right rear tire was flat, due to one of the inaccessible tire valves leaking. After pulling the tire and inspecting it inside and out, no damage, he installed new steel valve stems, ran extenders from the outside wheels, an mounted the fill valves on the wheel covers. Very accessible all four now, checking rear tire pressure, no problem now.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:00 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
My furnace works well and I have tried the heat pump too. I am not that happy with the A/C since it doesn't seem very effective and it is noisy.
I have camped with no services and have run the generator for 1/2 hr. when the battery lights drop to 2 from 4 lighted. I try to run other things while the generator is running (cooking something in the microwave, charging phones, small heater/fan, and so on).
I'm a windows phone user, but I have used the HDMI split via my laptop to watch streamed live sports onto the TVs.
Things I'm still stumped with include the fridge --I turn it on and it seems to just light up on LP and I'd like see the setting be AUTO which I think switches LP, Shore based on availability. Maybe that is happening anyways? The food is cold and the freezer makes ice so I'm happy;-)

Laco, I'm still a little worried about my rear tire and the sim so will be seeing the dealership in early June to get them to take another look. I bet the extender is the answer but will see what they might do under warranty.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #8

THOR #7475
Noticed some people use water filter when hooking up at campgrounds. I dewinterized with bleach as per manual. If I leave for a week trip with fresh tanks half filled. (Bathroom pitstops). And use hose hookup at campgrounds, for showers, tanks should stay clean,right??
Old 05-26-2017, 01:54 AM   #9

THOR #5821
I agree the AC is noisier than I wish it was, but it does cool, and in heat pump mode does heat. I'm not sure how it will do in temps that are over 100 degrees, but no RV that I know of does well in extreme temperatures. Walls are too thin, and no adequate insulation makes them difficult to heat and especially to cool with the summer sun beating down on them. The refrigerator does have an auto position, and should switch from AC to DC to LP. I think it only goes to LP when there is not AC or DC available as a last effort to keep things cool. You can manually select what you want it to consume. It does work fairly well, as a smallish frig cools fairly well. We last owned a 41 foot DP, the refrigerator was very large, took two or three days to completely cool after starting. This one achieves cold temps in a matter of hours. As far as TV's, we pretty much always watch satellite, have an auto dish roof mounted, so its pretty effortless.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco
The refrigerator does have an auto position, and should switch from AC to DC to LP. I think it only goes to LP when there is not AC or DC available as a last effort to keep things cool.
The RV fridges are AC or LP gas: When you loose AC it switches to LP--it always uses DC: The controller board is powered by 12V DC. The AC or LP is used to heat the coolant (evaporate it--yeah it seems backwards but it works).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #11

THOR #5821
Since on mine the refrigerator AC is off the inverter, I never see it change, unless I manually change it. If I was going to running off batteries, parked, for any period of time, I would change it to LP.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Congratulations JD on your new 23TR.

Wow, seems like everyone has had tire issues on the new geminis. Mine was on the outside rear dual. Loose valve stem. Dealer could not have checked the tires at all or they would have caught it. I would recommend not bothering with the dealer on minor tire issues. Your local tire dealer will do a lot better job and in my case, NO CHARGE. I also have a problem figuring out the heater. But all in all, we like the unit. No regrets. Hopefully we will be headed to the Midwest sometime in the coming months.
FWIW, the tire dealer I went ( Les Schwab) to told me to stop any time I am in the area and especially before a trip and they will check all tires for proper pressure at no charge. They said most all tire stores have that free service. Good thing to know. They did not recommend extensions saying there has been a lot of problems with them actually causing flats. Same goes for the after market TPMS.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:21 AM   #13

THOR #5821
I think there are many different types of extensions out there. If you spring for the steel ones, and the installer knows what he is doing, chances of having problems with them is low. I had them for eleven years on my former DP, never ever did they leak. It amazes me that Thor doesn't automatically install them on all rear wheels, to me its a safety issue. I had them installed prior to our first trip out.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:28 AM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkirk View Post
Noticed some people use water filter when hooking up at campgrounds. I dewinterized with bleach as per manual. If I leave for a week trip with fresh tanks half filled. (Bathroom pitstops). And use hose hookup at campgrounds, for showers, tanks should stay clean,right??
A filter is good to use for keeping sediment out of your water system.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #15

THOR #7475
On 2017 new gemini, after draining black tank, I drain grey using grey water to clean drain hose. How do you flush black tank for good measure?. Outside only has potable water port and water hook up. Please explain .
Old 06-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #16

THOR #5821
Had dealer install a black tank flush, which is essentially a hose connection on the side of the tank, with spray nozzles inside the tank, when connected and on, sprays water inside black tank. Then when your done with that, use the water in grey tank to flush and clean sewer hose.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #17

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkirk View Post
On 2017 new gemini, after draining black tank, I drain grey using grey water to clean drain hose. How do you flush black tank for good measure?. Outside only has potable water port and water hook up. Please explain .
jdkirk, you have two grey tanks on the 23TR. I always fill the black tank at least to the 3/4 level before I dump it. Then black, grey and grey. By the time the first grey tank is empty the hose is clean (?), what ever clean in a sewer line is. After the second grey tank I rince it out with clear water and store it in a length of PVC sewer pipe with caps. It stores nicely in the rear storage compartment without leaking.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #18

State: Colorado
THOR #7878
A 2017 Gemini TR is on our short list to buy. Any comments or suggestions.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #19

THOR #7475
bar6101
We purchased a gemini 2017 in feb. After we perchased, we joined forum and became horrified by stories we read in forum. We just finished a week long 2000 + mile road trip . The ford diesel 350 and chassis performance was outstanding. Easy to drive , parks at most spaces, enough room for 85lb dog and 2 adults. We consider ourselves newbies. Issues with Inside cabinet doors continue to fail because doors are made of pressboard. Covered under warranty. Cracks In floor, again warranty.Flush spray Inside black tank is after market. Stem extensions for rear tires also aftermarket. Bought walmart leveling pads , didnt even use them. Most parks are pretty flat. No limit on aftermarket stuff. Do research and use forum. Treat everything as a learning experience. I say go for it and figure it out as you go along. If purchasing new make list of questions and during orientation be persistent. Its your money. I have no regrets even though I have warranty work being done this weekend.If you have gemini questions ,me or forum, will tell you straight up. Good luck and happy trails.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:25 AM   #20

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar6101 View Post
A 2017 Gemini TR is on our short list to buy. Any comments or suggestions.
All I can say is we are really happy with ours. We had a few issues but mostly with the dealer, not with the manufacturer. We are planning a 4000 mile trip soon. I think the rear slide will be a real advantage as I plan to spend a few nights in rest areas. We will have no side slides to draw attention.

Cons: a/c over the bed is noisy and takes a little getting used to.
poor reception on the tv antenna.

Pluses: Everything else.

BTW the 3.2 diesel has lots of get up and go and good mpg besides. Some folks say "the mpg doesn't matter, it a motor home". Those are the folks getting really crappy mpg.