Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2020, 03:58 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #16096
Unhappy Ed Eccles

Hi..I think I was signed on before, but have not signed on for quite awhile and had to update my sign in info. I have been Rv'ing for about 5 1/2 yrs now and own a 2015 Thor "Outlaw" Toy hauler 37LS that I bought brand new.

I have had a lot of problems, almost ALL "operator error!". I am constantly learning, but by the time I get it out of the shop (for ANYTHING) it is normally 2-4 MONTHS! Terrible!! My fault or not, the quality control & service is really bad! (polite words).

One thing I just came across is my front windshield DARK SHADE, not the sun shade, would not come down all the way, and the more I would hit the switch, it would go up, but would not come down..AT ALL! Now it is all the way up, and won't do anything down. I'm going to look at the switch tomorrow.

Does anyone have any ideas for an "idiot?" It was working before I went into the shop, but now it doesn't. Had I known then, I would have had them look at it. Driving time is 45 mins...Sorry for the intro! HA..New Guy Thx

Old 12-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you to hear about all your problems. Hopefully it will just be a bad switch.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome back!
Old 12-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m not sure I understand the difference between a sun shade and a dark shade...but is there a small push button attached to some wires hanging down from one end of the shade roller? Or tucked up, hidden, at one end? There probably is and it’s purpose is to program the shade. Your problem doesn’t sound quite like an endpoint issue but it’s worth trying to reprogram it. I’d have to look up the instructions but I’ve done it and it’s pretty simple. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #5

THOR #16096
Smile New Guy

Thx! I did see that on YouTube and will look at it later today.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #6

THOR #16096
Sun Shade

There are 2 Shades on my front windshield. One is like a thin visor that comes down when you are actually driving. The 2nd one is behind that you bring down to cover the window so no one can see inside the RV from outside when you are camped. It is heavier and thicker to block out everything from seeing inside. Thx again!
Old 12-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjoo View Post
There are 2 Shades on my front windshield. One is like a thin visor that comes down when you are actually driving. The 2nd one is behind that you bring down to cover the window so no one can see inside the RV from outside when you are camped. It is heavier and thicker to block out everything from seeing inside. Thx again!

Cool. I’ve just got the one heavy one.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #8

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Switch wired backward? Roller shade spooled backward? Is the unit installed backward? Just probing here. Our Aria has two shades; only the "privacy" shade (that I believe you are referencing) should scroll down to the dashboard.
Gary
GVP
Old 12-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #9

Model: Outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
THOR #18099
Another Outlaw owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjoo View Post
You probably already know this, but My Outlaw light blocking shade will not come down while the key is on (engine running) for safety reasons. Not sure if the emergency brake has to be on also? There maybe something wrong with that safety device that is preventing it from coming down.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

State: Florida
THOR #14155
On some shades if you keep going down after they are all the way down they will start to roll up backwards, thus going down will now make them go up. Then when they are all the way up you have to try to go up for them to go down. Might be worth a try just in case.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:30 AM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Here are a couple of possibilities.

The shade on our SOB started acting just like yours.
I could pull it down then use the switch to move up . Found the learning switch but also found a wire that the shade had been rubbing on and cut .
A quick fix with a soldering iron and some heat shrink

Or

If your chassis battery has been replaced or drained, your shade will/may have forgotten where to stop. It should stop at the top, dash and if the mh is running about halfway down.
The "learning" button mentioned by Pete'sMH is used to teach the shade where to stop.

Hope it's an easy fix and let us know.

Edit: here's a thread with programming instructions.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...axis-8219.html
Old 12-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #12

THOR #16096
Thx!
Old 12-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Mine are labeled Sun Shade and Night Shade

There are some good troubleshooting flow charts if you don't get it fixed

Let us know back here