Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini
State: Oregon
THOR #21423
Unhappy New Gemini owner - so many issues

We just got our 2020 new Gemini a few weeks ago. We started out on a trip but had to come back early because:
- The slide is stuck half way out and makes a terrible noise and tracks are all damaged
- The black tank rinse shoots water into the trailer
- The fridge does not run on propane
- The gas range does not work (they have since told us they knew that and forgot to put in a new one)
- The heat pump does not work

Besides that we liked the rig the three days we were in it

Old 12-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear about your difficulties on the first outing...
It will get better, and it will prove to be worth it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #3

THOR #21423
Thanks! Ya we knew Thor was just throwing out units so the quality was low. This forces me to learn every inch of the coach
Old 12-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX247 View Post
We just got our 2020 new Gemini a few weeks ago. We started out on a trip but had to come back early because:
- The slide is stuck half way out and makes a terrible noise and tracks are all damaged
- The black tank rinse shoots water into the trailer
- The fridge does not run on propane
- The gas range does not work (they have since told us they knew that and forgot to put in a new one)
- The heat pump does not work

Besides that we liked the rig the three days we were in it
Many places on this Forum it is recommended you spend at a minimum 24 hours in the dealers delivery bay before taking the new coach off the lot. If the dealer does not agree to this find another dealer. I bought my coach at MHSRV. We moved in about noon and at 1pm the delivery tech showed up with the salesman to give us a full walk around and walk through. which we recorded. The next morning at 9 am the delivery tech and the salesman showed up at the door as ask what need to be repaired. The electric part of the water did not work and the top kitchen drawer was difficult to close. All were fixed in 30 minutes. I then ask the delivery tech to take us to the dump station and show us how everything was to work. Good news everything worked and I found there was a swivel just past the dump valves so I could align the fittings to the hose. The only thing that has broken was the patio awnings LEDs began to fail in ones and twos. The local Jayco dealer replaced under Thor MC warranty while I waited in the RV. 27,000 trouble free miles in the last five years, but only 180 miles in the last 10 months. It is not really smart for a 82 year old couple to travel at this time,
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
As usual, Beau has the correct answer.
It is not Too late for the op.

Do as Beau says before you pick it up from this repair.
And
Do as I usually say and show up with 30 cheap deltaco Tacos and smile.

I'm a bit lost on how the black tank rinse can squirt into the rv unless you have the toilet flush valve open...and you shouldn't....
Everything else has a p trap and (I think) a one way.

And
I have a brand new, fully filled but never used 5 gallon propane tank here and it just refuses to release that fail safe internal valve.
It just won't release propane. I have another, new, used and refilled tank and it makes the most awful metal catch noise when open it from fully closed.
China may have sent some bad valves. Thor wouldn't know until you filled the tank.
(this would explain the fridge and the stove....)

Are you sure you have a heat pump?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #6

THOR #21423
The black tank flush line goes into the back of the RV and was crimped so the back flow leaked into the RV. They must have installed that hose first and then installed the shower and smashed it.

Ya we have a heat pump on the build list in the RV. It starts and then gives us an error on the screen.

The heater works with propane so we know the tank works. The RV place said they knew the stove was broke but they "forgot to fix it". They also said there was a crimp in the fridge line and they "thought they fixed it".
Old 12-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Thanks! Ya we knew Thor was just throwing out units so the quality was low. This forces me to learn every inch of the coach

Which is a good benefit of an otherwise exasperating situation. When it’s not an emergency field repair I’ve learned to actually enjoy working on my RV. With almost every project I make it better and not just fixed.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #8

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. As was said earlier make sure you have them go over everything before you leave with it.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #9

THOR #21423
in the good old days I would have done that. But now with there being zero inventory and COVID I had to have it shipped to me from another state. I had assumed the dealer would have at least checked things out (but that was a mistake). Also, the big issue was the slide and that broke after multiple times so they would not have caught that.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Thor, like most RV manufactures, in order to keep costs down, uses, in relative terms, unskilled labor on their assembly lines. Unfortunately there is a lot of turnover, amongst those workers, so consistency from unit to unit suffers. It really isn't just a Thor problem.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #11

THOR #13932
Quote:
in the good old days I would have done that. But now with there being zero inventory and COVID I had to have it shipped to me from another state. I had assumed the dealer would have at least checked things out (but that was a mistake). Also, the big issue was the slide and that broke after multiple times so they would not have caught that.
You didn't have to have it shipped.
You chose to have it shipped.
Someone reading your post may be lead to believe there are no on-lot purchases anymore.

It's a MotorHome. It could have been your first adventure.
Had you stayed in it and made the salesman run that slide in and out 25 times, you'd have been fine.

You know who I have great respect for here?
Dkoldman.
He turned down quite a few of them once seeing them in person and he took advice really well... THEN he bought a MotorHome.
You'd think he's owned one for 29 years if you read his advice now.

I didn't write this for the op. I'm only using op as an example of what not to do because the op was handy and open about the decisions made.
I wrote it for those who might think trusting a vehicle salesperson long distance is a good idea.
No culture in the entire world says to trust them eye to eye, let alone at an interstate distance.
And
You can't REALLY think a transient salesperson is going to personally inspect the work of the transient, lowest on the lot, mop and glo person?
I'm fairly certain from little stories I've heard, that profit of the dealer is charged back from the dealer for some fixes. Money given to, then taken away from maybe a month later, the salesperson.
And
If the salesperson counters with 'I've worked here for 12 years', let me tell you, it's not talent that he's there. It's lack of talent that he's there. Peter principal petered out.

You're a number. You're not a personality...and you won't even be there, nor be able to get there, nor have any recourse against the place you bought the rv.

Signed,
Contracted maybe 10,000 car sales in my day.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #12

THOR #21423
Like I said these are different times. In our case where my wife is VERY high risk and I could not risk going to the dealer. I also would have had to fly or drive 1500 miles because there are no units available close to me (would have been a 3-4 month wait at least and would have paid much more). I just posted because it was a shock to get something new with so many issues. We have had trailers before and don't expect perfection but this seemed excessive.

Dealing with the dealer was useless but we did get ahold of a Thor rep who has done a great job getting us parts quick and finding someone to fix the rig.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to see that some progress is being made...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Just keep plugging away at it and things will fall into place. Be positive and have a good attitude when dealing over the phone.

Good luck
Paul
Old 12-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #15

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Just keep plugging away at it and things will fall into place. Be positive and have a good attitude when dealing over the phone.

Good luck
Paul
Exactly this.
Look at every breakdown as an opportunity to better the rv.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QN8D18H...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I don't have a water pump problem, but this one is on my Amazon list for when I do.
They loaned me a pump when I bought the rv. $200 to have the top of the line is a value to me. I get to choose what I want.

Keep a good attitude, keep posting and know that your story has helped someone avoid what you're going through.

Old 12-15-2020, 04:07 AM   #16

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Exactly this.

I don't have a water pump problem, but this one is on my Amazon list for when I do.

They loaned me a pump when I bought the rv. $200 to have the top of the line is a value to me. I get to choose what I want.

Keep a good attitude, keep posting and know that your story has helped someone avoid what you're going through.
Well said!
Old 12-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #17

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Which is a good benefit of an otherwise exasperating situation. When it’s not an emergency field repair I’ve learned to actually enjoy working on my RV. With almost every project I make it better and not just fixed.
Yep! I do the same. You’ll find there’s a better way to do it. And you learn how everything works and where all the lines run. Like I said in another post. What else do I have to do other than mow grass(that’s over with for the season) and work on a motor home.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Exactly this.

That’s a huge pump. I want to here where you install it. Maybe a tagalong trailer?