Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Old timer

Hi. I'm a oldie newbie. Last RV we owned was in the 80s and a cabover camper for our pickup. A lot has changed since then I see. We just purchased a used 2005 Thor Chateau 28ft class c with low mileage. What a sweet ride and we're both eager hit the road as soon as I can figure out all the switches bells and whistles on this beast.

Lots to get familiar with and I'm still finding new features everywhere. Aside from oil changes and common vehicle maintenance I'd welcome any suggestions on roof protection and products to keep it ship shape.

At some point we will be towing a small vehicle and I don't have a plug installed so any suggestions? Wondering if anyone has had luck locating wiring diagrams for these units?

Redsand

Old 11-25-2021, 12:23 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Any RV tech should be able to wire a light plug for towing. You might want to have a tech thoroughly check it out, if you haven't already.

While you are figuring out the bells and whistles, check the dates on the tires They typically need replacing long before the tread wears down. Happy trails!
Old 11-25-2021, 12:43 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
If you are handy, watch videos on etrailer.com. They walk you through it.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:41 AM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Congrats. Like others have said, check the date on your tires. Most recommend replacing them after 5 - 6 years. As for your roof, first order of business is figuring out what type it is. That will dictate how you look after it.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Congrats and welcome to the forum
Old 11-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. You also need to check the engine belt(s) and fluids. Tires are an important item. They may look great and have a lot of tread but may be past their life due to age. Look for any signs of water leaks both inside and outside.

Paul
Old 11-27-2021, 01:19 AM   #7

THOR #25443
Thanks to all for the tips. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning opening gifts. Every day I find something new. Lots to learn and research it seems.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:35 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Also YouTube can be a good friend for helping you fix/locate items on your motor home.

Paul
Old 11-27-2021, 01:38 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I went to a truck rv place named Jim and Traci family owned. For < $100..they oil changed lubed checked brakes ac tires all fluids belts etc

Congratulations sent us pictures
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:54 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
🤣 Welcome to the Party!!! 👍
Old 11-30-2021, 05:27 AM   #11

THOR #25443
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and newbie tips. For an older rv it seems to have been very well maintained and we're fortunate to have found it. Still under 30k miles and tire codes are 2020. I checked carefully for any water damage and found nothing.
The roof appears to me to be hard like metal with a white coating. Not sure exactly what type it is but maybe someone with a similar model can offer up some ideas.
Finally was able to trace all the coax cables left disconnected in a cabinet. Not sure I will need them with smart TVs but good to know where everything goes.
I meant to ask if anyone has encountered campsites offering ethernet connections or have they mostly switched to wifi? I have outside coax for TV and one for ethernet hardwire. Maybe both are things of the past..

RS
Old 12-01-2021, 12:01 AM   #12

THOR #1589
Pictures will get better answers from your forum friends. It's possible that your roof has been coated with a thick layer of sealant. If so, that should eliminate most any water intrusion.

Ethernet at an RV park? I've stayed at well over a hundred campgrounds and never saw that. I have seen and used regular phone hookups for RVers on a monthly stay. But that was before everyone had unlimited cell phone contracts.

Cable connections are very common and normally included in the rate. Some campgrounds limit your wifi usage to discourage streaming from their Wi-Fi.

Suggest you call Thor with your VIN and ask for all the schematics for your rig. Then pray you never need them!
Old 12-01-2021, 12:22 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard!
Enjoy the journey!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:13 AM   #14

THOR #25443
Thanks Mr. S
I made the climb up the ladder to check the roof once and sorry to say at my age not gonna do that again. Perhaps I'll have have my young helper climb up and shoot some pics to share. I think you are correct that they coated the roof with a sealer of some sort. Will verify and seek some suggestions on regular maint.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:01 AM   #15

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Thanks Mr. S
I made the climb up the ladder to check the roof once and sorry to say at my age not gonna do that again. Perhaps I'll have have my young helper climb up and shoot some pics to share. I think you are correct that they coated the roof with a sealer of some sort. Will verify and seek some suggestions on regular maint.
I bought my Hurricane used and there were some signs of earlier water leakage from the roof. The previous owner had obviously had the roof coated with a rubber type sealant. This kind of roof covering is promoted as a lifetime roof that requires no maintenance. "Never climb on your ladder again!" One less thing to worry about!

Tags
rear camera, roof care, tow lighting, wiring